Few HDD Setup Questions.

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Pippin666, Mar 1, 2010.

Mar 1, 2010

Few HDD Setup Questions. by Pippin666 at 3:50 PM (878 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Pippin666
    OP

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    I just bought a new 1.5Tb HDD and I am trying to set it's partition up the way it will most meet my need.  I love homebrew on the Wii.  I use it for everything, emulators, media player, ports and usb loaders.

Code:
    I need an NTFS partition to store movies and serie episodes.  

Another one, fat32, to store what's in SD:/root/ and SD:/apps/ to free some space on my sd card (ie. more wiiware).  

And finally, a wbfs partition usable by cfgloader and wiiflow.  
    It will be easy partitioning using gparted.  But what I am unsure about is, in wich order must I set them ?? (primary, logic, etc,...) to meet my needs from the code tag.  

Thank you all.  

Pip'

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    u don't need a wbfs partition anymore, u can save games to either a fat32 partition or an ntfs partition using programs like wiibackupmanager

I recommend formatting your hard drive as 100% fat32, as ntfs write support is still a little buggy. The only 'downside' to having it only as fat32 is that u wont be able to save files that are greater than 4 gigs on it (does not apply to wii games, as they can be split into 4Gb chunks, this is more an issue if u have really large movies on you harddrive... but most movies are not greater than 4 gigs anyways, so there should be no reason not to use fat32)

3. Bat420maN

Member Bat420maN GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'd recommend two FAT32 partitions, one for just your HBC used apps(about 5 maybe 10GB), then one for the rest of the HD. There's really no point to it other then being able to keep your apps from everything else. Just makes it a bit easier to keep organized I think.

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    I have 1 FAT32 partition and a folder called "~~My Documents" (without the quotes, and the tilda's (~) are there so that the folder is at the top of the list). I save anything non-wii related in that folder

Honestly, I think having 2 fat32 partitions i stupid... I can maybe understand if u wanted 2 DIFFERENT partitions... but 2 of the same partitions (fat32)? Not much point

5. Bat420maN

Member Bat420maN GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So my opinion is stupid cause it's not your's?

Your response almost seems like it's an attack against my post. I didn't even read your crap till I just came back. Calm down net kiddie!

I find it a lot simpler to run your HBC apps from the HD, and it becomes a mess when you got tons of games and apps(and other HBC related folders & files) all sitting on the root of one partition. I like never having to touch an SD card and it's a nice clean set up with your apps(roms and all the other good stuff) on a separate partition from my games.

I mostly just use the first partition for cleanliness, and never having to use an SD card.