Few clearing up for R4i Gold 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Madao161, Jan 28, 2012.

Jan 28, 2012
  1. Madao161
    OP

Newcomer Madao161 Newbie

Canada
    So, I'm finally looking around to buy a 3DS but before I do, I want to make sure that the R4i Gold 3DS works like I think it does.

Before I go any further, this is the R4i Gold 3DS that I'm gonna buy so we clear up any confusion: http://www.r43ds.org/products/R4i-Gold-3DS-8GB.html

Here's what I want to know:

Does this work with a 3DS that I'd go buy off the shelve if I were to just go to gamestop and get one tomorrow?
    If I download ROMs of games from other region (Let's say my 3DS is from NA and the rom I got is from Jpn), Will it still work? (AKA, does this bypass the region protection?)
    Is there any limitations to this R4i Gold 3DS? I mean, I've been hearing some bricks and things like that from flash cards on 3DS.
    Does this play pretty much every game for 3DS?

It'd be very helpful if anyone can help clear this up.

Thanks in advance.

2. Virusak

Member Virusak GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    No card plays 3DS games, read the important posts first (the first post in this section is NOTHING PLAYS 3DS ROMS)

3. Madao161
    OP

Newcomer Madao161 Newbie

Canada
    Nothing does? That's odd considering the amount of ROMs around....=\

4. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    As long as you update your R4, it should work.
    The R4i Gold only plays DS games. No 3DS games (please read the stickies)!
    You still need a DS/DSLite to update the R4i Gold.

btw $40 is a ripoff. You can get the flashcart for like $10.

5. mjax

Member mjax GBAtemp Fan

By the look of it, they are bundling the flashcard with the worst 8GB Micro SD card possible. Those are not even reliable as they do not even have any manufacturing information. Furthermore, they have priced it quite high. You could get that bundle for much cheaper elsewhere and with a better quality Micro SD Card.
    Hope this helps. I honestly think you shouldn't buy that bundle there, it's not good. I see that you are from Canada, buying a flashcard from another store and buying the Micro SD locally, would be a much better deal.

Edit: If you are still purchasing, my recommendation is to go with this card:
    http://www.etcome.com/product/r4i-gold-plus-deluxe-edition-v1-4-3-for-3ds-dsi-dsi-xl-ll-dsl-ds.html

And this 16GB Micro SD card for 20.90 CADs
    http://www.amazon.ca/Transcend-microSDHC-TS16GUSDHC4E-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B004XIB9SC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327746096&sr=1-3

Approximately 33.80 CADs for both. You get double the memory and a nice flashcard for considerably less money.

6. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  7. mjax

Member mjax GBAtemp Fan

8. Serke

Newcomer Serke Member

Russia
    Actually, it's your fault. Don't ever recommend something unless you know exactly what it is you're recommending. Recommending implies responsibility.

9. mjax

Member mjax GBAtemp Fan

Yes sir. Anything you say. Do you also want me to chew my hat sir?

2 people like this.
  10. Madao161
    OP

Newcomer Madao161 Newbie

Canada
    Thanks a lot for the help guys, I realize I had a huge misconception about the way R4 works on the 3DS.

11. elunesgrace

Member elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Not just r4, the rest of them too (acekard and supercard). Supercard though can also play gba games.