Female USB mini port?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying to replace the female USB port on my MP3 player with the one normally seen on the PSP and other electronic device. My question is, is it possible to actually purchase those mini ports on it's own without having to resort to gutting an electronic device for it?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another question. When I removed the USB port from my old MP3 player, I noticed that there are 4 points on it. But when I looked up the sites, I noticed that they have 5 points on it. How do I know which one goes where?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another question. When I removed the USB port from my old MP3 player, I noticed that there are 4 points on it. But when I looked up the sites, I noticed that they have 5 points on it. How do I know which one goes where?
The 5th pin is ground and connects to the outer casing.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Well the old USB port also has a ground. I know that in a normal one, the 4 points goes something like:

1. +5V
2. Data -
3. Data +
4. Ground

So does that mean in the mini USB, there are TWO ground points?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Well the old USB port also has a ground. I know that in a normal one, the 4 points goes something like:

1. +5V
2. Data -
3. Data +
4. Ground

So does that mean in the mini USB, there are TWO ground points?

It's like this...
. ____
/12345\
''''''''''''''''

1=VCC (Red)
2=Data- (white)
3=Data+(green)
4=Normally not used or ground (sometimes connected to outer casing)
5=Ground (black)

cheesyPOOF5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wtf?
wtf.gif
USB, genders..?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And now going off the topic of USBs for a second, what would be the best way to cut out a rectangular hole in plastic?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is a thermoplastic (becomes soft and capable of being reformed by heating) small holes can be cut fairly well using a well heated section of wire (think like a livestock brand), either use a blowtorch or if you favour the more adventurous technique some current can be passed through the wire until it is visibly hot (may require some current to pull off).

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TO THE DREMEL!!!

I used a needle and went over and over the shape i wanted cut out. then after it was a pretty deep outline, i hit it in the center. popped out.

Or if you want it to actually come out good, an Xacto knife is the way to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there