Hacking Feeling to update from 4.1 to 5.1 in OFW - talk me out of it? (SX Pro User)

Thandor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Using my 4.1 FAT32 Switch offline with SX Pro for a while now (I couldn‘t care less about online gaming). Haven‘t installed NSP yet but have a lot of game updates etc with 5.x laying around, including some XCI i like to use.

I don‘t think I like using ChoiDujour (searching for the firmware and exFAT files) and maybe mess something up and brick it (even if not likely to happen), furthermore the need of AutoRCM is very unattractive to me because of all the battery issues people have and to watch out everytime I boot...

So what *exactly* will be my benefits if I stay at 4.1? I‘ve read about Deja Vu (+ the video loading a webpage) in the firmware thread, which may come in the future, is this all I can expect? I mean using a dongle and jig once a while is not really time consuming, so I guess the only thing that would be better than this would be a real coldboot without any tools, and I‘ve read that is out of the question anyway.

Reactions: 877 and AlfretXX

FreePlayFlorida

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kept mine on older fw for ages, and honestly given that SX OS works on latest, do game updates, installs and use exFat, I decided was just easier, yes Im sure Im screwed down the road if I wanted to go back to some CFW or something, but happy can just play games, enjoy homebrew etc

CymraegAce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I updated from 4.1 > 5.1 the day DevMenu leaked. Do I regret it, absolutely not..

Yes, an untethered solution would have been nice, nobody really likes fucking around with jigs & other devices to push payloads, however, it's barely caused me any stress. Other then the easy-usability issue, the other main concern is in regards to damaging the joycon rail-pins with jig insertion & removal over time, assuming like myself you don't like the idea of intentionally corrupting the bootloader by installing AutoRCM..

So, what you need to ask yourself here is:

- Do you have a decently produced jig.?
- Are you able to be slow & non-aggressive with using it.?

If the answer to either of these questions is NO then I WOULD install AutoRCM once updated for damage control. If the answer is YES though, get updating. Also, the FAT32/exFAT formatting would be fixed by jumping, although this can be I updated without updating the system. Splitting XCI'S became really annoying, really quickly..!

Conclusion: There really is no amazing reason for not updating at this point, each to their own though, do with your devices whatever makes you happy..! ✌️

Last edited by CymraegAce,
Reactions: FreePlayFlorida

Thandor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the SX Jig is one of the best around and yes, I do it slow and careful. I might order the other red Jig (RCMClip)somebody posted at Aliexpress for 2 dollars to have a comparison.

Last edited by Thandor,

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don‘t think I like using ChoiDujour (searching for the firmware and exFAT files) and maybe mess something up and brick it (even if not likely to happen), furthermore the need of AutoRCM is very unattractive to me because of all the battery issues people have and to watch out everytime I boot...

I personally didn't bother with any hard methods, I just did the easy/risky way to update without burning fuses:
update in OFW, insert a 100% RELIABLE jig [which the SX pro jig is] and hold Vol+ right before it restarts, to reboot straight into RCM.

Let me quote what I did:

What I personally did was:
  • back up stock NAND first [using DIY jig]
  • "risky" unburned fuse update [using SX pro jig]
    • i.e. do update via OFW,
    • then insert jig and hold vol+ right before it restarts
  • then inject hekate after rebooting into RCM post-update, and back up NAND again [so that I have a clean 5.1.0 backup]
  • remove jig, then boot into stock using hekate [in case Horizon detects if pin 10 is shorted, then it isn't]
  • delete wifi settings [as they will be enabled due to doing an OFW update earlier]
  • insert jig, reboot into RCM
  • then enable autoRCM in hekate [to protect my fuses]
I made a 5.1.0 backup so that I have a NAND backup I can restore to if I ever want to go online again (e.g. even just to upgrade to a future new firmware). Because I read somewhere that it MIGHT be suspicious to Nintendo that the same console "request the SAME firmware update twice", and I thought it would also be weird if it "suddenly went down in firmware version", which is what will happen if you restore the first NAND backup. What I plan to do for FUTURE firmware updates is:
  • backup saves in Checkpoint
  • disable autoRCM in hekate
  • while still in hekate, restore 5.1.0 NAND backup
  • boot into stock using hekate
  • setup wifi, OFW update, then stick in jig before restart and hold vol+ ["risky" update]
  • inject hekate, backup NAND in newest [FUTURE] firmware version
  • same steps as above i.e.
    • boot into stock using hekate
    • delete wifi settings
    • insert jig, reboot into RCM
    • then enable autoRCM in hekate
  • then finally restore my saves

It's convenient, if a game crashes/hangs, I just reboot and stick in the dongle, no need for jigging. And I can always go back to 4.1, or even to a clean 5.1 if I ever wanna play online.

And if you mess up the "risky update" the worst you get is being stuck in the latest FW [5.1] with burned fuses.

furthermore the need of AutoRCM is very unattractive to me because of all the battery issues people have and to watch out everytime I boot...
The battery issues are from people not realizing that selecting "power off" in Horizon doesn't actually turn off your Switch, it goes back into RCM mode, which despite being a black screen, still uses up battery and doesn't conserve it unlike Sleep mode or by actually powering it off (by selecting "power off" in Hekate or SX os bootloader [accessible via vol+]).

Personally, I never turn off my Switch anyway, it's not like a classic home console like a Wii or PS4 that you power off when you're done and turn back on when you want to use it, it's more like a mobile device that's always ready to go imo.

Last edited by bundat,

Max128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same thing for me i have updated to 5.1 ofw last months and i love it.. no regret at all. I love all functions and no need on mods or auto rcm. I leave it in the sleep also. Is not a cold boot anyway. My only regret is having to wait too much in a old firmware!

Last edited by Max128,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's quite easy to do. Go search for xbins and the latest update on that and put it on your sd card and you're ready to go and update using choidujour. Just use autorcm to make sure you don't burn fuses and if you don't like that then just keep using a jig and be careful

Reactions: thorasgar

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does it for you....
Please read first post.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As for the battery issues with autorcm. Just keep your switch in sleep mode. It will last 12+ days from 100%

And since you have an sx pro. Auto rcm wont be an issue for you. The whole point of preserving the fuses is to downgrade to your original fw and install coldboot if it releases.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Go search for xbins and the latest update on that and put it on your sd card and you're ready to go and update using choidujour.
Seems unnecessarily complicated as OP has a reliable jig (SX pro jig).
They can instead just do the normal way of updating, then stick in the jig and hold vol+ when it restarts to prevent burning fuses, like I said above.

There's even a guide about that method.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/an-easy...ch-firmware-without-burning-any-fuses.511847/

So what *exactly* will be my benefits if I stay at 4.1?

I realize I didn't answer this.

To me, the ideal would be when deja vu (for <=4.1.0) is released.
I can roll back to 4.1 from 5.1, then keep my sysnand at 4.1.
Then I can have 2 emunands at latest FW (one for backups, XCIs, NSPs, and homebrew), and one for online.

And I load them all by deja vu, so I'll never need a jig or dongle again, while still being on latest FW via emunand.

Last edited by bundat,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can instead just do the normal way of updating, then stick in the jig and hold vol+ when it restarts to prevent burning fuses, like I said above.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/an-easy...ch-firmware-without-burning-any-fuses.511847/

Then I can have 2 emunands at latest FW (one for backups, XCIs, NSPs, and homebrew), and one for online.

And I load them all by deja vu, so I'll never need a jig or dongle again, while still being on latest FW via emunand.
Well I mean, this avoids going online at all. Just to make sure that the device stays offline like they seemed to want to show in the first post.

I threw my jig in a drawer somewhere after installing autorcm so that my rails dont get damaged very slowly... Not having that happen again...

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

how is that complicated ? You download the latest update through xbins, put it on your sd card then load up choidujour and press install. How much easier does it needs to get ? It ain't complicated at all

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well I mean, this avoids going online at all. Just to make sure that the device stays offline like they seemed to want to show in the first post.

I mean, it seemed like in OP's title that they wanted to do an official online update.

Feeling to update from 4.1 to 5.1 in OFW

The only additional thing they had to do was stick in a jig and hold a button after that.

how is that complicated ? You download the latest update through xbins, put it on your sd card then load up choidujour and press install. How much easier does it needs to get ? It ain't complicated at all

Yeah, the NX version makes it much simpler than the old method, but it's still much simpler to just do an OFW update, stick in a jig and hold vol+, and OP did specifically mention "no choidujour'.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason people are choosing to stay on low firmware is for the possibility of getting untethered warmboot which means that you'll have to boot into official firmware open your browser then navigate to a website to launch the exploit. I'm almost certain that these steps are going to take longer than just putting in a jig and dongle into your switch. On top of this the browser method could always be patched with firmware updates. Updating also let's you play newer games. You also get exfat support the easy way. and as somebody mentioned earlier is better to update to 5.1 now before 6.0 comes out with potentially more patches.

Last edited by comput3rus3r,

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'll always have pros and cons to whatever you do. Just go with your instinct it's not like the 3ds which was locked out for time on end at periods we have a HW exploit which will ALWAYS work. True it's not massively convenient as untethered but hey. Truth of the matter is you're not really stuffed anymore if you do officially update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1