Hardware Federal Trade Commission puts out warning of any Nintendo Switch emulator scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ftclogo.gif

FTC warns consumers of the dangers of downloading suspicious software with the promise of being able to play Nintendo Switch games. To avoid any of these scams they suggest avoiding anything that claims to be a Nintendo Switch emulator. Dont complete surveys in order to get unlock codes. Always have your antivirus software up to date to avoid malware and to play Nintendo Switch at a friends house until you are able to own a legitimate Nintendo Switch system for yourself. FTC encourages any suspicious activities regarding scams for Nintendo Switch emulators to be reported.

As it is now there are no emulators for the Nintendo Switch. Do a google search to check if what your downloading is legitimate and from a legitimate source.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/theres-no-nintendo-switch-emulator

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the first time I've ever seen the FTC issue a warning over fake emulators. Fake emulators have been a thing for years, and they almost all follow the same formula: "It works perfectly but you need to download a BIOS!!1!", and the site that has the "BIOS" requires you to fill out a million surveys or whatever, and you end up getting nothing.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: grammar

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the first time I've ever seen the FTC issue a warning over fake emulators. Fake emulators have been a thing for years, and they almost all follow the same formula: "It works perfectly but you need to download a BIOS!!1!", and the site that has the "BIOS" requires you to fill out a million surveys or whatever, and you end up getting nothing.
And here I thought fake emulators were viruses

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DespyCL @Memoir I thought of you guys when I found this story. Hope this further confirms about the existence of a Switch emulator for you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Arent most modern emulators so sophisticated that requiring a bios is outdated at this point? I mean this for retro console emulators too unless its more for an accuracy/authentic reason.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arent most modern emulators so sophisticated that requiring a bios is outdated at this point? I mean this for retro console emulators too unless its more for an accuracy/authentic reason.
Depends on the emulator. Most BIOS functions can be HLE'd, which eliminates the need for the BIOS in most cases. (See GBA, NDS.) Other systems like 3DS don't really have a "BIOS" but do have an operating system, which can also be HLE'd. As an example, Dolphin's Wii emulation uses HLE for IOS. (This is part of the reason why Nintendont won't run on Dolphin.) Even if it did use low-level emulation for IOS, the update partition on Wii discs includes IOS, so you wouldn't need to "download a BIOS" in the first place.

On the other hand, I don't know of any Sega CD emulators that HLE the BIOS functions, so you do need a BIOS there.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: fix wii stuff

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Some emulators rely upon the BIOS for certain things yeh.
Could also be the games themselves being hardcoded for the BIOS.
But Dolphin doesn't need a BIOS, CXBX doesn't need a BIOS, the 360 and PS3 emu's don't need it, CEMU doesn't need it
NES, SNES, N64 doesn't need it.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't forget the fake "psn code generators" etc.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still dont get why i am here. What does cemu have to do with a possible switch emulator?
To clarify that there is no Nintendo Switch emulator at this time. Even the FTC is having to step out and confirm this in case it wasn't clear enough from the previous thread.

This has the potential to cause harm to PCs and financial risk, so yeah pretty big deal to rid of any false claims you had.

Dude, i never mentioned there was a switch emulator, i was poking fun about this:
Deny it all you want. Still never edited your post to reflect what you said/meant.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify that there is no Nintendo Switch emulator at this time. Even the FTC is having to step out and confirm this in case it wasn't clear enough from the previous thread.

This has the potential to cause harm to PCs and financial risk, so yeah pretty big deal to rid of any false claims you had.
Read my post above, i think you misunderstood me.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget the fake "psn code generators" etc.
Those are hilarious, especially because anyone with an ounce of common sense would realize that it can't possibly work. (Some of these are just fake "joke" programs; others are malware.)

I remember seeing one posted on GBAtemp a while back. The download link seems to be missing, not that it matters: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-code-generator.363782/

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Deny it all you want. Still never edited your post to reflect what you said/meant.
Ah, i now remember who you are. You were the guy who didn't get my joke... Say what you want, just remember that there are actually people who understood what i was trying to say:
20170419_144740.jpg

Also:
tumblr_nzuh4nbhZl1sxpakto1_500.jpg

Reactions: Subtle Demise

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, i now remember who you are. You were the guy who didn't get my joke... Say what you want, just remember that there are actually people who understood what i was trying to say:
Also:
PC security isnt a joke and your a shitty person if you think that little of how it can affect other potential PC users. Assuming your old enough that you do have kids I hope they can practice proper security and searching from someone other than your ignorant self.

You claim your English is so bad and yet you write out sentences in a clear and cohesive manner. Stop making shit up.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Happens ever onces in a while. Ive seen it with something else. The way it works in one person gets a really bad virus and it gets pass on to someone else and before you know it its every where ( the i love you virus).

So the gov steps in and gives warnings like this fro time to time.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC security isnt a joke and your a shitty person if you think that little of how it can affect other potential PC users. Assuming your old enough that you do have kids I hope they can practice proper security and searching from someone other than your ignorant self.

You claim your English is so bad and yet you write out sentences in a clear and cohesive manner. Stop making shit up.
What in the actuall... alright dude, alright.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What in the actuall... alright dude, alright.
You're finished? Thank God.

Just stop throwing around that Nintendo Switch games can be played at all and btw thats your opinion that LoZ is the only game worth playing right now. It's hard to believe but 10/10 and 5/5 scores doesn't mean everyone in existence universally agrees, there are people I personally know that despise LoZ (shocking I know.)

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.