Hacking fed up with dstwo, considering r4

Lunchbox7985

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i bought a dstwo about a month ago, and ive had nothing but problems with it. i tried the paper trick, ive modified the case beyond recognition, then went and bought a 99c game and modified the case from it to replace the mangled dstwos case.

it works, and i love the interface, and the features, but if you so much as look at it funny it freezes. im pretty sure it was the reason one of my ds lites blew one of its fuses. and if i do manage to get it to work for an afternoon, it will still freeze eventually and corrupt the sd card, losing my save game.

so im chalking it up as $50 wasted, and considering getting this

http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

and possibly this to go with it.

http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=153

from what i gather the combo of those two will allow me to play ds and gba games? but i guess the snes on every other card is hit or miss, so i guess im giving that up.

will this play GB, GBC, or NES games?

does the stock loader show cover art or just the icons? i was using bagplug for the dstwo and i loved the cover art on the top screen. i might need to look into this DSCovered thing.

anyway, those questions, and has anyone had any major issues with the R4? i really dont want to waste even more money on this project. any experience with nds-card.com? they offer a 6 month warranty, unlike the 15 days i got from modchipcentral.com

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes both of those together allow you to play gba games. Gb and Gameboy color can be played with .nds homebrew. I used to use the original r4 and never had problems with it or the 3 in 1 expansion. I am not sure about that r4 revision but it should be fine. I believe there is a snes emulator for nds but games have their glitches. Last time i used wood on r4, i believe it only showed small icons of the games. Not sure how it is nowadays though

Last edited by uribemaster,

Lunchbox7985

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the r4 and the ez dont have physical connection issues like the dstwo do they? i can deal with less than user friendly software, and having to change a line of code or two to get things working, but damn, this connection issue with the dstwo makes me want to punch a baby

Lunchbox7985

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my r4 and 3 in 1 a couple days ago and I have to say I wish I had just bought these to begin with. I did like the look of BAGplug on the dstwo a little better with its full size cover art on the top screen. vs the little 32x32 icons that the r4 gives you.

the r4 with the ez flash has better compatibility with gba games, with the ability to act like a separate gba flash cart, or actually mimic a real gba cart with its battery backed memory. no connection issues so far, im on my third battery charge so ive played it in excess of 12 hours. the dstwo couldn't play doom on gba, it was like 5 fps, the ezflash playes it at full speed.

I had a ds blow a fuse, and it was used so I cant really blame the dstwo for that, but I imagine the built in processor does draw more juice, so its possible that it was the cause, luckily I was within the 30 days of purchase from gamestop on my ds.

I payed about $50 shipped for my dstwo, but I payed $15 for the r4, and $30 for the 3 in 1, so I feel like that was the better deal.

my only complaint is that the dstwo played snes games pretty flawlessly (except games like doom and Mario rpg, those were slow) I haven't tried snes on the r4, but I hear its sketchy at best.

anyway, I hope someone looking to buy a flashcart finds this helpful. I know the scene kinda died a couple years ago, but call me nostalgic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on