OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
FDA Approves Cloned Meat, Milk: Newspaper

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Food and Drug Administration report finds that meat and milk from cloned animals is, for the most part, safe to eat, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The newspaper said it had obtained a copy of a long-awaited, 968-page "final risk assessment," from the agency ahead of release.

It said FDA experts measured vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B6 and B12 as well as niacin, pantothenic acid, calcium, iron, phosphorous, zinc, fatty acids, cholesterol, fat, protein, amino acids and lactose in meat and milk from 600 cloned animals, including cattle and pigs.

Levels all looked normal.

The agency also found no health effects in animals fed meat and milk from cloned animals for more than three months.

"Food from cattle, swine, and goat clones is as safe to eat as that from their more conventionally-bred counterparts," the newspaper quotes the report as saying.

Last week, the European Food Safety Authority also approved the safety of meat and milk from cloned animals.

FDA officials have said the report would likely be released later on Tuesday.

The newspaper said the report concluded there was not enough information to rule on the safety of food from cloned sheep. It also said that food from newborn cloned cattle, which often are abnormal, "may pose some very limited human food consumption risk."

"Moral, religious and ethical concerns ... have been raised," the newspaper quotes the FDA as saying in a commentary.

But the agency decided to go with science alone.

Several companies and academic laboratories have cloned farm animals and few experts predict herds of cloned animals will be providing commercial meat and milk -- mostly because the process is so expensive.

Instead, the goal is to clone prize animals and then breed them conventionally to create herds.

The newspaper quoted Joseph Mendelson, legal director of the Center for Food Safety, an advocacy group that petitioned FDA to restrict the sale of food from clones, as saying his group was considering legal action.

Source: ABC News

Thoughts? (if any?). I'm glad it's safe to eat and drink, I wouldn't be surprised by 2015 there will be some sort of initiative to use food cloning to help out people in places like Africa.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the point of using cloning? I mean, if one cow got a disease, other cloned cows would get the same disease pretty quickly

Besides, isn't it just a hassle? :\

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
OH FUCK YEAH.
If this is approved, we could be eating baconchicken, just consider it.
tpi.gif

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Whats the point of using cloning? I mean, if one cow got a disease, other cloned cows would get the same disease pretty quickly

Now that it's approved, the cloning process has a better reason for happening other then "lets do it for lulz". If we can clone meat, it means we can get more food out to the world. Also, no, it doesn't mean every cow will be infected (unless the original cow was, which should have been killed anyway).

Jaejae - You sir, are an innovator! Baconchicken will be amazing.
grog.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Linkiboy search for "nature vs nurture"

Hopefully the lines between cloning and genetic engineering do not get too blurred (I personally have no problem eating either and have felt that way for ages but this sort of thing tends to get messed up when people who do not know what is what get involved: evolution is "just" a theory and the whole ozone layer/greenhouse effect apparently being one and the same).

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think the only real restraint on GE and cloned meats becoming the norm is religion.
Christianity has this deep seated belief that evolution did not occur, therefore science was wrong, and must be wrong about everything else.

(What!? A post with serious content?!)

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Think about future possibilities, if someone would make lets just say cloned arm or foot, or heart , it could ne big step forward for the medicine.
biggrin.gif

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can't they clone really cute puppies instead?? I mean...a cows and cow. A puppy is forever....Or they should make puppies last forever. Now that is science

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see cloning being a good idea IF it lowers the cost of buying food. Sadly, the opposite will likely result.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Now that it's approved, the cloning process has a better reason for happening other then "lets do it for lulz". If we can clone meat, it means we can get more food out to the world. Also, no, it doesn't mean every cow will be infected (unless the original cow was, which should have been killed anyway).

Jaejae - You sir, are an innovator! Baconchicken will be amazing.
grog.gif
The baconator will not be pleased!

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
I think the only real restraint on GE and cloned meats becoming the norm is religion.
Christianity has this deep seated belief that evolution did not occur, therefore science was wrong, and must be wrong about everything else.

(What!? A post with serious content?!)

I'm a Christian and tbh, I think evolution is probably right. I don't think the Bible actually goes against Evolution, it just doesn't mention it too much.

I have no problem with cloning animals.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I'm forced to take religion class in school, they don't actually think that the prehistory part of the bible is to be taken literally, but in context.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Uh... Have you guys not eaten any Bacon made out of anything besides pork? since I'm a Muslim, i wanted to taste some bacon, I had to try the Chicken version of bacon. My friends said the Chicken version tastes better than pork. Cloning meat is absolutely useless, infact it has a huge list of cons. Genetically inherited diseases will be the last thing you worry about.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Think about future possibilities, if someone would make lets just say cloned arm or foot, or heart , it could ne big step forward for the medicine.
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't that involve cloning a human then killing it? A human heart doesn't just suddenly grow out of nowhere.
No, unless you use stem cells to become heart cells. (this was already done by scientists) You would only clone the heart, no where else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Skill issue.