Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yep, you read that right, the FCC plans to approve Net Neutrality rules that bans paid-prioritization for US ISPs for good! These new rules will let the agency regulate internet access as if it is a public good, banning the intentional slowing of internet speeds and paid prioritization ISPs have threatened to enact for the past few years.

The Federal Communications Commission is expected on Thursday to approve regulating Internet service like a public utility, prohibiting companies from paying for faster lanes on the Internet. While the two Democratic commissioners are negotiating over technical details, they are widely expected to side with the Democratic chairman, Tom Wheeler, against the two Republican commissioners.
A swarm of small players, like Tumblr, Etsy, BoingBoing and Reddit, overwhelmed the giants of the broadband world, Comcast, Verizon Communications and Time Warner Cable.

Yes.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
While the short term result is good, the long term result of government regulating or possibly controlling internet can be bad.
As per usual, the options are goverment safeguards, or total corporate control. The latter is a much more grim result, especially in regards to the internet.

I worry that even with this change, ComWarner Cable is going to have enough pull over the government with their lobbyists to create loopholes and/or have this regulation repealed altogether at some point in the future.

Reactions: TecXero

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As per usual, the options are goverment safeguards, or total corporate control. The latter is a much more grim result, especially in regards to the internet.

I worry that even with this change, ComWarner Cable is going to have enough pull over the government with their lobbyists to create loopholes and/or have this regulation repealed altogether at some point in the future.

No, the former is a much more grim result. If the government didn't have the power to grant monopolies to these ISPs or any other favors in the name of "regulation", ISPs or any other business trying to gain an advantage in the marketplace couldn't/wouldn't lobby in the first place. Once again the government caused this problem due its interference in the marketplace and now it's only further increasing its interference. Nothing less could be expected from these entitled parasites who delude themselves they are justified in controlling and intervening in the voluntary interactions of others just so they can try to rationalize their immoral sustenance off theft. The actual problem here is the system which provides the power to coerce others and those who support it, not the individual players who are simply taking advantage of what is available to them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No, the former is a much more grim result. If the government didn't have the power to grant monopolies to these ISPs or any other favors in the name of "regulation", ISPs or any other business trying to gain an advantage in the marketplace couldn't/wouldn't lobby in the first place. Once again the government caused this problem due its interference in the marketplace and now it's only further increasing its interference. Nothing less could be expected from these entitled parasites who delude themselves they are justified in controlling and intervening in the voluntary interactions of others just so they can try to rationalize their immoral sustenance off theft. The actual problem here is the system which provides the power to coerce others and those who support it, not the individual players who are simply taking advantage of what is available to them.
You're kidding, right? Were all government regulations to simply disappear, you'd expect corporate America to do what's best for the people? If those regulations never existed to begin with, America's working conditions would have been a carbon copy of China's for some time now. Every cent we made would feed right back in to the corporations we slaved for.

Our government and our democracy have turned to shit, it's true, but that doesn't mean the government has never put in place needed safeguards against big business, which has always been shit. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'd also like to note that a big part of the reason our government and democracy are broken now is because of the amount of money involved in both. The money and the deregulation needed to allow that much money in to politics came from big business as well. It's hard to complain about anti-business practices from the government ruining things when big business essentially owns the government anyway.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As a public sector employee of the U.S. government, I can assure you that this will be run in the most beaurocratically inefficient way as will be allowed.
The government won't be running the internet, lol. This simply means that internet is classified as a public utility, and ISPs like Comcast and Time Warner can't pick and choose which sites/people/businesses get their speeds and bandwidth throttled. All internet traffic gets the same priority.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to disagree with the spirit of your post in regard to the government enforcing these regional monopolies (though thankfully there is some competition in areas that FIOS has moved into), however that isn't the whole picture. Let's say that my local provider, Cox, decides not to join in the Cable Cartel of throttling Netflix, while other ISPs like Comcast do. Even though I have Cox, which is not throttling, it is very probable that my Netflix stream will be routed through Comcast lines which are throttled, so I will still experience the throttling associated with Comcast even if I am buying into a non-throttling Cox because of the distributed nature of the Internet.

I am a small government person, myself, but the free market is not a market free of regulation. A market with too much regulation is controlled by the government. A market with too little regulation is controlled by the corporations. A market with just the right amount of intelligent regulation can be controlled by the people, and there is a difficulty that lies in reaching that balance.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I can not believe this.
It is blowing me away that the FCC crumbled to TUMBLR ANGSTY PEOPLE!!!
The FCC must have been infiltrated...

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fuck the FCC there worse the fucking ESR!! if there not going let me use the internet on thursday i'm going punch em and t-bag em.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
as long as they don't control the CONTENT then i'm all ears...

the fact that the government is so gung ho about this idea makes me weary of any ulterior motive. They NEVER have the people's interest EVER in mind.

Reactions: Kippykip

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
as long as they don't control the CONTENT then i'm all ears...

the fact that the government is so gung ho about this idea makes me weary of any ulterior motive. They NEVER have the people's interest EVER in mind.

Then don't vote for them.
If reps vote against you they should not be reps at all.
But since this thread is not really about politics, back on topic:
I agree with you completely.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I think about the government and technology, i'm always reminded of my local DMV and it's still active transitioning to a new system. They're still using some old program from the 1970s. Are these the type if people we want??

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O
Whenever I think about the government and technology, i'm always reminded of my local DMV and it's still active transitioning to a new system. They're still using some old program from the 1970s. Are these the type if people we want??
Net neutrality is something that is just going to be used as political issue in 16 where people who support it will say "I supported the internet so vote for me" and voters (mainly younger ones) will vote because they support it despite the fact they fully don't understand all parts of it

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Its not just the no paid peering. It also includes making internet a standard for everyone. Also everyone receives the same promotions for fiber implementation unlike now (Verizon has built their FiOS network with a buttload of taxpayer money by abusing the same common carrier rules as being presented now by the FCC, but for cable).

Also yay internet, yay fiber!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended