FC30 Bluetooth Controller Contest: Week 4

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by TwinRetro, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TwinRetro
    OP

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rules

1. All entries must be the subject of an 8 or 16-bit game or character, no exceptions. If the game or character spans multiple generations, they at least had to have their start in the 8 or 16 bit era.

2. All entries may be any physical or digital medium, as long as it's static, visual art. Meaning it can't be a video, or a song. It can however be a digital image, a drawing, a painting, a paper mache figure, a statue, abstract or whatever. It's up to you.

3. You may draw inspiration from prior art. You may not, however, re-purpose, or outright steal someone else's work.

4. If you're working in physical medium, you can make it from anything under the sun. Crayon, paint, pastels, granite, ground meat, cheese, grass clippings, discarded hair from your local barber shop, macaroni, sand from the Gobi Desert...you get the point.

5. If you're working in digital, feel free to use any program you choose. Paint, Gimp, Photoshop, 3DS Max, Blender, etc... Just as long as you can post the result as a single static image in this thread.

6. Not really a rule... Bonus points for creativity and originality. Seriously. I'd rather see a sculpture of Dynamite Headdy made from 3 years worth of your uncle's toenail clippings and liverwurst. than to see someone make a run of the mill pencil sketch of Mario. It won't be the only deciding factor in choosing a winner, but seeing something I've never seen done before will certainly get my attention.

7. Obey the rules or potentially ruin your chances of participating in future GBAtemp events. 'Nuff said.

8. All entries must be submitted and completed by Monday, August 26, by 11:59 PM.

9. Don't "Reserve" your post. Just post when it's finished. There really is no reason to reserve your post. Having your entry closer to the top won't effect your chances in any way. I look at them all.

2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    All these competitions suck, They always require some type of talent <_<

BortzANATOR likes this.
  3. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Aww, you sound bitter. :) Just don't take your ball home with you if you lose.

BortzANATOR likes this.
  4. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell

If you don't like the contests, no one is holding a gun to your head to participate. It seems like you're missing the point of these events entirely. The point of it is to have fun and bring us together as a community every once in a while. The prize is just there to tie it all together.

5. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

But can I take my ball home with me if I lose? :D :lol:

6. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell

No. Your balls are mine.

BortzANATOR and Ryukouki like this.
  7. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

I'm only playing around. :) But halp. I want my balls in one piece. :P

8. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Psh... it was a joke... guess no one around here recognizes good humor anymore.

NahuelDS, Slamicite and Ryukouki like this.
  9. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Right back at you! :D I was kidding too! :D

Vengenceonu likes this.
  10. Fluto

Fluto A potato in disguise

Apr 17, 2009
    The Moon
    Might as well post this.
    I made the Piranha Plant from the mario franchise.
    Not sure if this is acceptable or not since I made it earlier this year.
    Just as a note its available to 3d print here.
    I'm not saying you should buy it, but just in case if someone google image searches it and creates a fuss over it.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

[M]artin, SignZ and Ericthegreat like this.
  11. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Wow. Looks like Fluto is the only one who even entered?

12. Fluto

Fluto A potato in disguise

Apr 17, 2009
    The Moon
    There will be more entries towards the end of the week. That's usually the case :)

13. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    I have been thinking of creating this for a while and this contest motivated me to materialize my idea. As my name suggests, I am a big Sonic fan. I have always wondered why when you destroy a boss that Robotnik is piloting, his little "Egg-Pod" never gets destroyed along with the rest of the boss, and joked at why he never made the entire boss machines as durable as his Egg-Pod. To pay homage for his "god-like" vehicle and to have an entry for this contest, I decided it was time to finally create Robotonik (from Sonic The Hedgehog 1 on Genesis) using Perler Beads, which are little fuseable beads you can use to create various sprites. It took well over five hours to create Robotnik, as well as around thirty minutes to iron both sides. I really think using clear beads as a means of recreating the light gray hue in the original sprite turned out great, as there are only two shades of gray in Perler Beads: Gray and Dark Gray. I also like how Robotnik's red suit looks brighter and more colourful than in the game. Anyway, without further ado, I give you: DOCTOR IVO ROBOTNIK!

[​IMG]

Warning: Spoilers inside!

[M]artin, Ericthegreat and Fluto like this.
  14. [M]artin

[M]artin .

Nov 7, 2006
    United States
    Few questions:

Is there an entry limit? Only one entry per user? Can we submit multiple pieces of artwork leading up to Monday and have them all considered?

Are we allowed to use artwork we have previously created that fit the bill?

Thanks!

15. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell

Yes, just one entry per member. And prior art I will allow in this contest.

16. [M]artin

[M]artin .

Nov 7, 2006
    United States
    Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring with this entry:

Subject is Samus of Metroid fame. Wanted to go for something with an electrically vibrant, yet bitter color palette. The early Metroid games have always had this sense of impending doom... something always watching you, always waiting. You would see a glimpse or get a feeling of something horrible and twisted on the horizon. With all of the backtracking and revisiting locations in games, you always felt as if the next corner would finally bring that doom.

I also wanted to twist the iconic characters a bit, put a little spin on them (and a homage to GBAtemp's mascot) by changing their look for something a bit more abstract:

[​IMG]

Fluto likes this.
  17. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library

Your all really sucking the fun out of the competition by submitting things you've made weeks/months/years ago for different things (with the exception of sonicrings). TwinRetro said be creative not "be lazy and copy your old work from other contests".

sonicrings likes this.
  18. [M]artin

[M]artin .

Nov 7, 2006
    United States
    Firstly, I asked above if it was okay. You'll see that it was approved by TwinRetro in the post directly above mine. Secondly, I wanted to spur on the spirit of competition (not "suck the fun out") and hope to see more entries submitted by the deadline! Think of it as an artistic bump to the thread.

As an artist, don't you want your work to be seen by as many eyes as possible, a larger audience? I don't know what truly compelled you to single me out like that, but please, enjoy the spirit of competition! I really, really love all of the entries that were posted above mine. I hope to see more and can't wait for the final result!

Fluto likes this.
  19. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library

Single you out? The only one i singled out was sonicrings. If you look above you fluto also submitted his work he made "earlier this year". I'm not saying your not following the rules, by all means post your previous work, but it does suck the competitive spirit out of the competition because you didn't have to start from scratch. Thats like baking a pie half a year ago for dinner then entering the same pie into a pie baking contest. It's a really really good drawing but you never intended it to be used for this competition (you made it for Ant's competition IIRC) so win or lose this is essentially a free pass for you and fluto. That's my opinion... but it doesnt matter anyway since TwinRetro decides in the end so ignore me if you must...

sonicrings likes this.
  20. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    Here's my entry. I choose a frog because they are a symbol of good luck in japanese culture (remember the meaning of the word "Nintendo" = leave luck to heaven), my original idea began with a toad from Battletoads, I didnt like the first concept, I finished using a normal frog with some items from 8-bit characters: Mario's hat, Link's shield and master sword, the shoulder thing from Battletoads. Anyway, once again I enjoyed making this 8-bit art and with this being the final contest all I can say is that this was a success for the community.

[​IMG]

[M]artin, sonicrings and Fluto like this.