ROM Hack FBI in-app updater (CFW)

lincruste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hello,
I just updated FBI using the "update" feature within the program itself.
Now the version is actually a greater one, but when I launch it, a black screen with "homebrew" written appears before it starts (and works).

Is it still safe and normal ? Why is the logo appearing now ?

If it is not normal, how can I delete FBI and reinstall it correctly ?

I'm asking it because I've heard of bricked 3DS because of sysnand injection via FBI on the homebrew launcher, and I wanted to get sure FBI is not updated on sysnand.
Sorry if it makes no sense, I'm very 3DS hacking illiterate.

By the way, how can one be sure something is indeed installed in emuand and not sysnand ?

(O3DS, arm9lh installed with 3ds.guide.)

Thanks for reading.
Tonton lincruste

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello,
Now the version is actually a greater one, but when I launch it, a black screen with "homebrew" written appears before it starts (and works).

I'm asking it because I've heard of bricked 3DS because of sysnand injection via FBI on the homebrew launcher, and I wanted to get sure FBI is not updated on sysnand.

By the way, how can one be sure something is indeed installed in emuand and not sysnand ?

Thanks for reading.
Tonton lincruste
It's normal, now almost all homebrew will use that loading screen because of fear of getting DMCA'd from Nintendo (freeShop got one for using the 3DS loading screen)

Reactions: lincruste

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Thanks for reading.
Tonton lincruste

The easiest way for me to check if I'm installing to sysnand or emunand is 3 folders on each. I change the names of folders to match the nand, sys for sysnand and emu for emunand. That way I'll always know what I'm in and what I'm installing to.

Last edited by DarkWork0,

lincruste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The easiest way for me to check if I'm installing to sysnand or emunand is 3 folders on each. I change the names of folders to match the nand, sys for sysnand and emu for emunand. That way I'll always know what I'm in and what I'm installing to.
Oh but I did not know emu and sysNAND were two different "desktop". I thought it was merged.

lincruste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've tried to understand more about sys and emuNAND on Luma3DS documentation, and it seems my concern was irrelevant from the beginning: according to my settingd, I'm ALWAYS booting on sysNAND. Which means FBI and my cia injected software seems to work withouth emuNAND.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I've tried to understand more about sys and emuNAND on Luma3DS documentation, and it seems my concern was irrelevant from the beginning: according to my settingd, I'm ALWAYS booting on sysNAND. Which means FBI and my cia injected software seems to work withouth emuNAND.
Yes, you can use Luma in sysNand as well. An emuNand is only for added security, since if you brick your emuNand, your sysNand will stay safe, but if you brick your sysNand, only a hardmod can save you.
If you don't want to have an emuNand, you can upgrade to A9LH, which will allow you to recover even when you brick your sysNand.

lincruste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, you can use Luma in sysNand as well. An emuNand is only for added security, since if you brick your emuNand, your sysNand will stay safe, but if you brick your sysNand, only a hardmod can save you.
If you don't want to have an emuNand, you can upgrade to A9LH, which will allow you to recover even when you brick your sysNand.
Thank you for that explanation, I'm already using arm9lh, but I did not understand it did not require emuNAND since I've followed the steps of 3ds.guide without any understanding of what it did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple