Favourite Emulators?

Touko White

(not)Banned
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A little debate about your favourite emulators.

You can kill me for liking NO$GBA more than a pair of VBA-M/DeSmuME but oh well, I feel it's partly open source because the dev is releasing all his research to the public anyway.

NES - FCEUX
Works for most games I've played rather well and has some great settings, open source and also extremely portable it seems.

While Nestopia UE is slightly more accurate I found FCEUX is easier to set up and get going.

SNES - ZMZ
ZSNES interface (which looks damn amazing and retro, which I love), but you can run the Snes9x or higan cores on it. Snes9x is my favourite emulator for SNES due to its playability/compatibility and speed in general.

Only thing that is hard is movie recording, but if you have Windows 10, use the Xbox app for a good result as seen here: Kaizo Mario World 3 Stages 1 & 2 by Luigi_Fan

N64 - Mupen64
Mainly for its portability, I've played only a few N64 games (mostly early releases) and they were playable in Mupen64 rather well, I never owned an N64 so can't really say much about it. I do wish it supported cheat codes though. Also you could check out mupen64plus but I don't know how to use the command line myself, which is why I don't use it, but there are front-ends for it, but Python failed to install on this machine for some reason -.-

Game Boy Advance/DS - NO$GBA
While it is closed source, the documentation for the GBA/DS on GBATEK is a must-read for any home brewer IMO, it's also probably one of the best feats of closed source software ever made. The sound isn't that great, but one thing I do appreciate is that unlike other GBA emulators, NO$GBA emulates the backlight properly from the GBA SP, meaning games don't look over-saturated like they do in VBA-M.

The debugger also looks extensive to me.

CPS1/CPS2/NeoGeo - Kawaks
I've used this emulator only for Super Street Fighter II and it works pretty good, although there are a few problems with things like getting rid of the scan-lines was a big pain for me. MAME is a pain to set up so this is an easier option for people ^^

Last edited by Touko White,
D

Deleted User

PPSSPP ~ I used to really love this PSP emulator because it ran every single game, app, and homebrew I ever tried through it without any issues, and I don't think there's ever been a time when something I have tried to play through it has been incompatable!
There's also an upscaling feature which is my most favourite part of the emulator, as it makes me feel as if I'm playing an actual PC game! :yaypsp:

PCSX2 ~ Although it took me a while to set up the best settings, I had a blast playing one or two games on this PS2 emulator (and at full speed too!). To this day, I still enjoy playing games like Parappa the Rapper 2 through it when I get the chance sometimes!

And last, but by no means the least, Dolphin Emulator ~ Possibly one of the most famous Wii and GC emulators out there, it also incorporates the Wii menu and GameCube startup screen, as well as support for many homebrews out there!
And although I sometimes don't get the best performance, it's feature-rich and contains many enhancements such as stereoscopic 3D, screen filters, and NetPlay support.

Some other emulators I additionally enjoy are PCSX, mGBA, gPSP, PocketSNES, VBA GX, MAME, and M2Emulator (I just love playing Sonic the Fighters on my PC!)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Touko White

(not)Banned
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Voxel wasn't PPSSPP developed by some of the members of the Dolphin Emulator team, if I'm right?

Heck yeah, PCSX2 and exPSE or whatever it was called (the really good PS1 emulator) were great too, though I barely tried them, they worked well.

D

Deleted User

@Voxel wasn't PPSSPP developed by some of the members of the Dolphin Emulator team, if I'm right?
I think Neobrain added/fixed a few things in PPSSPP, as well as being one of the authors of Dolphin. I'm not aware of anyone else who did work on both emulators, but I wasn't even aware that they did in the first place lol; I just looked it up now.

Touko White

(not)Banned
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think Neobrain added/fixed a few things in PPSSPP, as well as being one of the authors of Dolphin. I'm not aware of anyone else who did work on both emulators, but I wasn't even aware that they did in the first place lol; I just looked it up now.
I was likely getting confused with the Oculus Rift VR ports since they were ported by the same team :D

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I was likely getting confused with the Oculus Rift VR ports since they were ported by the same team :D
Oh, nice! To be honest, I was never even aware the Oculus Rift already had emulators! Perhaps I have just been living under a rock for a while... Do you know a good list of emulators already ported to the Rift at all? I just tried google, but all I got were the emulators themselves. Could certainly-well drive me to buy a Rift when they come down in price!

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Call me biased, but I like LiteNES's simplicity. Fitting a NES emulator into so few lines of code really impresses me.

Speaking of underpowred emulators, SNEMulDS is amazing. I powered through the first chunk of Super Mario World on it today (VD4 foils me again!) and it was great. While it has its charms (blind Morton fights are always good) it works well enough and it's certainly worth the space on your flashcart. The DS's buttons are nice and line up 1:1 with a SNES controller.

From now on, I'll call you "biased". Is this okay?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
VBA-M on PC for GBA games.

gPSP on the PSP for GBA games.

mGBA on Vita for GBA games.

yep GBA games.

Kira "Bugs Bunny" Yamato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSSPP is a beaut. Only problem I have with it is with save states. Sometimes it crashes when saving them, sometimes it writes them incorrectly and can't load them. But trying it out for the first time was still amazing.

Aside from that, mGBA is really solid. Not really a whole lot to say there. I'll still be using BGB for GB/GBC for the foreseeable future though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually, I don't really have any fav emulators.
Mostly because I own the original hardware and games that I do want to have emulated, I just get any emulator available on said platform.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference