Favorite Horror Movies

RE4zombie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Halloween is coming up, I decided to make a thread where you list your favorite horror movies.

I really like the classics, heres my top five.

1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. The Shining
3. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
5. Alien

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am fairly sure we had this thread before but I am not going to turn up a chance. I could probably quite easily do it with zombie films but I shall curb that one before it starts.
Know that should I be flicking through channels on TV I will usually purposely skip the horror channel for fear that I will be sitting there all night.

Equally I am not quite sure what counts as a horror film so I will leave it at my favourite and hopefully pick up a few suggestions.

Tetsuo: The iron man.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096251/

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. May - I have lost count of how many times I have watched this
2. Audition - one of the only movies that can make me cringe.
3. Haute Tension - released here as "High Tension" but I like haute better, not to mention, the french audio > english, anyways.
4. The Eye (2002) - this has been in my top movies list for a while (not just horror). the sequels, not so much.
5. The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - although I love the original, this is one of the best remakes I have ever seen, not to mention the guy who directed HT did this
smile.gif

6. Just Before Dawn - this is a nice little slasher from the 80's, it is one of the few slashers I have really ever liked.
7. One Missed Call (2004) - I have watched this so many times too
8. Rosemary's Baby - This movie have me nightmares haha
9. Ringu - this frightened me so much more than the remake when i was 11 haha, thought it isn't as frightening now, I still love it.
10. Vacancy - ok, this movie is not truly horror, but it certainly is frightening to me (and pretty underrated if you ask me), but it sure made me very paranoid after I watched it after it came out.

runner ups
Diabolique (1955) not really horror, but the movie is very suspenseful
Ju-on

I don't get scared easily (I would actually say many of these movies I have not been scared by (haute, audition, rosemary's baby and ringu) are the only movies that have actually frightened me from the list (just to note, vacancy was not really scary but it did make me paranoid
tongue.gif
)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I enjoy way too many horror films and can't list a top 5, but if you're looking for some obscure but great horror films to watch then here's a few :

Nightmares In A Damaged Brain

Terror At The Opera

The Stendhal Syndrome

Dellamorte Dellamore

The Prophecy

Dead And Buried

The Children

City of the Living Dead

Tenebrae

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm a sucker for suspense, so I thought Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project had to be in my list. Blair Witch Project is the only scary movie EVER that I watched at least 5 times. I thought Paranormal Activity was a bit too much of a Hollywood flick, but it caused me to wake up in the middle of the night scared as hell!

In random order:

Paranormal Activity
Wolf Creek (almost pissed my pants while watching)
Blair Witch Project
House of the Devil (just a solid good movie)
Drag me to hell (same as above)

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
hullo8d said:

That's not really a horror film so much as an exploration of fascism and sexual perversion.

Well I really haven't come across any good horror films lately and those were pretty much the first that came to mind. I knew that Salo was a bit of a stretch, but it would fall under the category of horrifying for most people.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Tenebrae

dario argento
wub.gif
i love tenebrae
smile.gif

QUOTE(hullo8d @ Oct 29 2010, 04:07 PM) The Re-animator
Hausu
Braindead
The Shining
Salo
If we are talking about the same 'hausu', i really wouldnt consider that a horror movie, I always thought it was more a comedy, if anything

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MFDC12 said:
If we are talking about the same 'hausu', i really wouldnt consider that a horror movie, I always thought it was more a comedy, if anything

Well most of my pick are both horror/comedy, and I'm pretty much a sucker for any film that can combine to two successfully.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
hullo8d said:
TrolleyDave said:
hullo8d said:
Salo

That's not really a horror film so much as an exploration of fascism and sexual perversion.

Well I really haven't come across any good horror films lately and those were pretty much the first that came to mind. I knew that Salo was a bit of a stretch, but it would fall under the category of horrifying for most people.

lol Yeah, I'll definitely give you that. Alot of people would be horrified by the films content! There is alot of shocking stuff in there depending on what you've watched before. I think alot of people would also be shocked because the production values for it are quite high really for the type of film it is and the cinematography is actually quite lush in some parts.

QUOTE(MFDC12 @ Oct 29 2010, 09:21 PM)
dario argento
wub.gif
i love tenebrae
smile.gif

Good call! One of my favourite writers/directors as well. Got most of his films in my collection. It's a shame America chops up his films so much though. What they did the Phenomena was shocking.
frown.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
imshortandrad said:
-Night of the Living Dead
-Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Two of my faves as well! Shame what Tom Savini did to it when he remade it though. Not seen the most recent remake that they did in 3D yet.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-Exorcist (when I watched this one certain event were mirrored in the real world while watching (for example when the phone rang in the movie it rang in our home as well, or when there was some bouncing on a door they bounced on my door too) which was not fun)
-Shining (it has a very unsettling atmosfere right from the first shot)
-1408 (loved the ending)

Well that's everything that springs out at the moment (seen way to many of 'em to really remember the titles). Though I do tend to stay clear of the zombie movies, they just don't strike my fancy.

BionicC

Trophies
XP
Country
My top seven horror films are:

Saw
Saw II
Saw III
Saw IV
Saw V
Saw VI
Ghostbusters II

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Carrie
Cujo
The Shining
The Blair Witch Project
Child's Play Series (horrible movie series, but it's the first horror movie I've ever watched)
The Mist
Sixth Sense
Paranormal Activities
The Grudge
Exorcist
The Hills Have Eyes
Saw Series
Audition (only saw half since I freaked out)
The Silence of the Lambs
Drag me to Hell (one of the funniest horror movies I've ever seen)

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Stephen King.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn