Faulty Gameboy DMG cartridge reader question and others..

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought a few faulty Gameboys (didn't know the seller swapped all the bad bits into these) but I am determined to fix! They all seem to have had battery damage.

My first question is I have got two of them going but neither read games, neither show the Nintendo logo just a corrupted version. Both had a lot of corrosion, I have cleaned and cleaned and they look ok but still not loading games.

Am I right in thinking a corrupted Nintendo logo is down to the cartridge reader? If so will look at swapping them out. If not do not want to waste my time.

My last one the worst, I have gotten it to the stage that it turns on as in the screen looks to activate but nothing else happens, no logo, contrast wheel doesn't work. I have been checking for issues and shorts, the only issue I currently find is on the C6 capacitor, I have no reading but on the other (almost) working I do get a reading. However I have a few donor boards and everyone I have taken off and put on to this board gives me no reading which makes me think it could be another issue?

Any pointers would be great. Thanks
20210706_193234.jpg

ClancyDaEnlightened

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
if there is no issue with the cpu itself it can be an sram issue, gb has 16k iirc 8k main ram, and 8k display ram, also seems like a decoupling cap 10uf, also the dmg's have use a negative voltage to drive lcd contrast, iirc a max of -18vdc

if replacing the ram doesnt work or the cartridge port, it could be the SOC is internally bad, if you have an oscilliscope or logic analyzer you could probe the clock, read/write, and the buses, this would be pretty straightforward

unless the actual pcb itself has gone bad

Last edited by ClancyDaEnlightened,
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    not any
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    From scratch yeah
    Gift
    you can make some basic non-interactive sites like a blog or a newspaper or something
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    you don't, you can just use html or js
    Gift
    dont forget css
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    that's just styling
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    If you're designing from the ground up you'll need php to store registration information into mysql databases
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    you don't need php you just need some backend if you need registrations
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    If you use a service it's still technically not your coding unless it's open source
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    The backend code can be written in a lot of languages
    Gift
    " that's just styling" fair but styling is important
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Yeah but you still need to know more then css html and js
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    it certainly is
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Styling is not important lol
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    but css is for designers or full stack devs
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    If you have enough information stored users could care less if it's black and white
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Plenty of phpbb themes are set to default and have 50k members
    Gift
    yeah but i would prefer websites to not look like dogshit
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    Why would you need more than js, html and css for a basic website? You might need sql for your database but thats about it
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    If you want to truly call it your work that's why lol
    Gift
    actually that makes me think what's the line between "tolerably bad" and "this is so dogshit i won't even think of using it"
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    what? lol
    Gift
  • felix.200 @ felix.200:
    If I write all my js css and html why would the work not be mine?
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    A basic site sure doesn't need it but if you want a community it's important
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    But still style isn't everything when it comes to websites
    Gift
    kenenthk @ kenenthk: But still style isn't everything when it comes to websites