faulty card reader?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Shaorin, Mar 15, 2007.

Mar 15, 2007

faulty card reader? by Shaorin at 5:35 AM (670 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Shaorin
    OP

Newcomer Shaorin Advanced Member

Australia
    I was thinking of buying a R4 + Kingston 1GB microSD from RealHotStuff and I heard many bad rumors that the MicroSD Card Reader can blow up. Is this true? if so is there a place that they don't give you a faulty card reader bundled with R4? cause it's just cheaper if it's bundled and saves shipping cost since I live in Australia

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The bundled card reader works for most people, but a lot of people have gotten ones that don't work, and a few people have had melting type overheating problems. There have also been many reports of intermittant data/filesystem corruption caused by the bundled card readers.

On the bright side, the reports of card reader problems have tapered off somewhat, and there are rumors that they are including more reliable readers now that they did originally.

I say get a good card reader if you can afford one, especially if you don't have to mail order it to get a good price. If you can't afford one, the included reader will probably work just fine. Just keep a close eye on it the first time you use it. If you do get the rare melting reader, you want to find out and unplug it before it destroys your microSD card.

3. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    If it’s any consolation I got my R4 from Realhotstuff & my reader works great.
    Out of all the places I have bought flash carts from, I’d rate Realhotstuff #1.

4. F34R

Member F34R GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a sandisk multicard reader, and it didn't want to cooperate with my R4 at all. The bundled card reader works perfectly for me. I also purchased my R4 from RHS.