FAT32 HD not recognized by emulators

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by diazao, Oct 6, 2009.

Oct 6, 2009
  1. diazao
    OP

Newcomer diazao Advanced Member

Spain
    Sorry about creating a topic, but google can't help me find answers about this problem...
    I'm trying to load roms from a FAT32 HD 80GB (used to work perfecly with WBFS) but none of all loaders that i have (SNES;NES;N64;VBA) recognize it. I disconnected my controller's usb charger, disconnected my GC MemCard, my GC controller, my SD, switched between both USB ports, but just can't get it working.
    On Wii64 i get the "An error has occurred", and on GX emulator series i get something like 'HD cannot be found' [​IMG]
    Any help will be apreciated!

2. crezwell

Member crezwell GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Sorry to hijack, but im in the same boat. Have a HDD partitioned between WBFS and NTFS for a while working perfect, but this week i re-partitioned the NTFS side into 50/50 FAT and NTFS, in the hope of loading emulators/homebrew on the FAT side rather than using SD cards. Cant seem to get anything to recognise it tho, emulators come up with an error and the Homebrew Channel doesnt show any Apps.
    Any clues?

3. diazao
    OP

Spain
    For me, HBC recognize it's apps and load them, but just can't get it to work with roms... [​IMG]

4. riddle43

Member riddle43 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    is the fat partion frist if not that could be your prob i cant get them to read from the hdd cause mine is the 2nd partion

5. crezwell

United Kingdom
    Thats what i was thinking, i made sure the NTFS partition was 1st when i first created it, but now i've split that partition between NTFS and FAT i guess NTFS is still as 1st and the FAT is....well i duno but it musn't be 1st.
    If i deleted my FAT partition and then formatted the whole NTFS to FAT instead, would that still keep it as the 1st partition or would formatting it screw that up? Its looking like the way ill have to go i think.

6. diazao
    OP

Spain
    I made 2 FAT 16 partitions (4 GB each), one "Primary" and another "Logical", none working [​IMG]

7. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    I was in the same boat and I gave up! I have a 500gb for the wii and i wanted about 100 or so for emulators and apps and stuff. sine it had about 80 games on it, you can imagine the copy time...i copied it to my pc then formatted then back to the drive only to find out it doesn't work. i don't know and i don't want to wait 8 hours to copy over all that data again....just get a big SD card

8. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    when partitioning HDD's make sure that the FAT32 partition is set to "ACTIVE" and is "PRIMARY" it doesnt really matter what partition it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd as "ACTIVE" sets it as first boot priority. by the Wii and OS.

9. crezwell

United Kingdom
    I formatted my NTFS to FAT32 which makes it show up in Homebrew now, but now im getting the OP problem of SNES9x and Wii64 arent recognising the HDD, and getting error -106 in triiforce. Wiisx is working however.
    Its still set to Primary and Active as it was as when the partition was NTFS.

10. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    make sure you try both usb ports, depending on what cios 249 you hav you might be expecting apps to use the same port but some dont

11. crezwell

United Kingdom
    Ok ill try that cheers. Altho the HDD isnt one that spinsdown the light does go out when i load those two emu's from the Home Channel and then back on when in the emu, so gona try loading them from SD instead and see if that keeps the HDD light on.

12. diazao
    OP

Spain
    Ok, got it working with VBA/SNES/FCEU GX and WiiSX. But Wii64, GenPlus and SMSPlus still the same.
    Formated all HD to FAT32 Primary and Active and got it working, after that, made a 40 GB partition to WBFS "None" and Logical/Primary and fail, because it wasn't the first one, so doesn't get recognized [​IMG]

13. udo4ever

Newcomer udo4ever Advanced Member

Canada
    Hey guys,

I had the same problem and I solved it in a second. Here is my solution:

1. uninstall any dvdx stubbs you might have installed. In order to do this you can use the hackmii installer and choose uninstall dvdx. You do not need dvdx stubb if you do not watch/use movies via mplayer_ce or other similiar programs. DVDX causes compatibility problems with emulators and usb drives for reasons I don't quite understand. This was a known issue for the Mplayer_Ce team and this is why they created a Cios that is designed specifically for their program.

2. run snes9xgx or fceuxgx or vbagx and see if the emulator detects your hard drive. Chances are that it will.

3. Now that you know it is the dvdx stubb that is causing problems you have three options. The best option is A) but if A) causes problems and you can't load MCplayer_CE then try B)

A) go to the following site: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/MPlayer_CE and follow the instructions (download and install cios for usb2)

B) Download and install the new Hermes Cios and choose 202 (homebrew), ios 38 merged with 37. This should enable usb2 support for when you play movies

c) do not include a dvdx stubb and forego watching movies on your Wii.

Let me know if this helps!

Edit: Another thing I did notice after extensive testing is that some SD cards prevent emulators from detecting your USB Device. On the very same Wii I used a 2gig SD card (so non sdhc) and it detected my hard drive with no problems. I then switched my SD card for a 4 gig transcend and reloaded the emulator and it didn't detect my usb HD. I then repeated the steps 4 more times just to be sure and each and every single time I used my Transcend Sd card it broke the emulator's ability to detect my USB HD. Upon further testing the same Trascend card is not compatibility with Bootmii as Boot2 but is compatible with most, if not all, hombrew applications...

Bottom line is, make sure that your SD card is fully compatible with everything. Try using a non SDHC card...

14. diazao
    OP

Spain
    The second one is "IOS 38 merged with IOS 37".
    Are you sure it's this one or it's merged with IOS 60?

15. udo4ever

Canada
    It's ios 38 merged with ios 37. Sorry for the confusion I will edit the post.

Did this work for you?

16. laurozza

Member laurozza GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I've tried your suggestions.
    But for me didn't works.
    With a Verbatim hard disk, the homebrews don't find the FAT partition sometimes...with a Western Digital no problem.

17. crezwell

United Kingdom
    I use MplayerCE and Geexbox quite a bit for watching movies and tv shows from USB but never from disc, so id definately want to keep that option open. Previously ive already installed the usb2 Cios and have hermes Cios with 38 merged with 37, but i think that was on Cios 222 or 223 for usb loader functionality. With that in mind should i uninstall DVDX and reinstall them for this to take effect, or is having them there already enough?
    Havent got a SDHC yet so thats not a problem, the SD's i use have been use for everything else so far including Bootmii as Boot2.
    Cheers for your help, ill update when i try this.
    Oh and FYI my HDD is a Maxtor Basic 320gb, usb powered

18. diazao
    OP

Spain
    Fail, it doesn't get recognized when i uninstall DVDx. SNES/FCEU/VBA GX just working with DVDx installed.
    Now i think it's just compatibility problem with GenPlus, SMSPlus and Wii64.

19. udo4ever

Canada
    Hi Crezwell, I would simply uninstall dvdx and leave it at that. If you already installed the Cios usb2 than you should be good for mplayer_ce. Just to make sure, once you uninstall dvdx test the loading speed in Mplayer_ce. It should still load the movie pretty fast. if you have to wait more than 5 seconds for an avi movie to load and it never used to be like this than you should reinstall the cios usb2 for mplayer_ce.

At everyone else, I am sorry that my method didn't work for you. It certainly worked for me on my own Wii and on 2 of my friends' Wii. I used a WD my passport 250gig hard drive for my tests and a 2 gig HP SD card. I have the latest versions of all emulators. I can't really say why it doesn't work for some of you. Perhaps this will be fixed in a future release of the emulators?

20. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    if you ask Dejdynimite123 (an official part of the Mplayer CE team find him on wadder.net most often) he will tell you not installing ios202 for Mplayer if your using usb drives is just punishing yourself follow his advice it was nice of him to provide it rather than saying "go read up on Mplayer" or "use the search tab google it" he is trying to offer you good advice [​IMG] this gives it usb 2.0 support and so the drive is read faster thus playback is smoother [​IMG] you can see a preformance difference in a Western Digital Book instantly spike for the better when its installed...