PS1/2 Fat with network adapter sata modded with purple board does not detect hdds not even my 1tb even

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,400
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
though it worked before with a small laptop hdd.

I don't think it is even running. Did I blew a fuse, if I did where can I buy a replacement and how to install it?

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First double check the ribbon cable used in the upgrade. Take it out and reseat it to see if it makes any difference.

Next check the pins in the ports to see if any got mangled or bent from inserting your adapter into the PS2.

Last edited by rs1n,
D

Deleted User

OP
First double check the ribbon cable used in the upgrade. Take it out and reseat it to see if it makes any difference.

Next check the pins in the ports to see if any got mangled or bent from inserting your adapter into the PS2.
Will do.

Man this sucks, I'm also having trouble with the original Xbox.

It seems like the only thing going right is the Dreamcast which is a little bit harder than modding the ps2.

Luckily it seems ps2s are cheap. But I still don't want to buy another one.

Last edited by ,

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will do.

Man this sucks, I'm also having trouble with the original Xbox.

It seems like the only thing going right is the Dreamcast which is a little bit harder than modding the ps2.

Luckily it seems ps2s are cheap. But I still don't want to buy another one.

Also see if it is detected by your computer still. At the very least disk management should see the disk even if windows cannot read PS2 hard drives directly. If the drive is used then use HDD Scan to check its health (SMART attributes).

D

Deleted User

OP
Also see if it is detected by your computer still. At the very least disk management should see the disk even if windows cannot read PS2 hard drives directly. If the drive is used then use HDD Scan to check its health (SMART attributes).
The PC detects it.

Here are some photos of the pins on the ps2.
20200819_141843_resized(1).jpg 20200819_144015.jpg
Everything seems fine in the adapter but I haven't took out the boards.

At first glance from these photos the left pins look like they were bent/destroyed by the adapter.

But on further inspection the pins look fine I think.

20200819_145235.jpg 20200819_145217.jpg 20200819_145200.jpg
It's hard to see but I might have to get someone with a more steady hand and a better eye to inspect the pins and fix them.

The adapter definitely disfigured the port though but it should be fixable if it's broken.

If it isn't that it might be bad fuses.

Hopefully you can see what's wrong better than I can.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The PC detects it.

Here are some photos of the pins on the ps2.
20200819_141843_resized(1).jpg 20200819_144015.jpg
Everything seems fine in the adapter but I haven't took out the boards.

At first glance from these photos the left pins look like they were bent/destroyed by the adapter.

But on further inspection the pins look fine I think.

20200819_145235.jpg 20200819_145217.jpg 20200819_145200.jpg
It's hard to see but I might have to get someone with a more steady hand and a better eye to inspect the pins and fix them.

The adapter definitely disfigured the port though but it should be fixable if it's broken.

If it isn't that it might be bad fuses.

Hopefully you can see what's wrong better than I can.
Fixed broken links

Last edited by ,

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some isopropyl alcohol and a soft toothbrush might help clean up that port on the PS2. Similarly check the pins on the adapter. And don’t forget to check the ribbon cable inside the adapter.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You might not need it if rs1n's tips worked, but in case you do, and for anyone else that might stumble upon this thread, here is a resource with information on the different fuses for the different revisions of the PS2, as well as information as to where to get replacements.

D

Deleted User

OP
Got another ps2 still nothing I'm using wlaunchelf and it does not detect the HDD even though it's formatted with winhiip.

The new ps2 already had a network adapter installed, will buy another purple board if I have to hopefully I don't have buy another ps2.

The adapter never worked with 3.5 hdds and at first I tried using a 2tb one but it never detected it either.

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Use Disk Management to make sure your drive is MBR and not GPT.
  2. Try using a "noobie" image with HDD Raw Copy to see if you can produce a bootable HDD.
  3. Make sure that your modkit's ribbon cable is seated properly (reseat it and try again even if it looks fine)
  4. If the above doesn't work, try to use a different version of uLaunchELF and see if the Hddmanager (found in the browser -> MISC directory) program recognizes the drive.
Don't format with Winhiip -- it's old and outdated. And it doesn't even support drives larger than 1TB.

D

Deleted User

OP
  1. Use Disk Management to make sure your drive is MBR and not GPT.
  2. Try using a "noobie" image with HDD Raw Copy to see if you can produce a bootable HDD.
  3. Make sure that your modkit's ribbon cable is seated properly (reseat it and try again even if it looks fine)
  4. If the above doesn't work, try to use a different version of uLaunchELF and see if the Hddmanager (found in the browser -> MISC directory) program recognizes the drive.
Don't format with Winhiip -- it's old and outdated. And it doesn't even support drives larger than 1TB.
1. Didn't help
2. Didn't work.

There is no activity light at all so I doubt number 4 will work.

Will try number 3.

Whenever I use winhiip to look at the drive after using hdd raw copy it says it's 24bit hdloader instead of 48bit hdloader.

Last edited by ,

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I use winhiip to look at the drive after using hdd raw copy it says it's 24bit hdloader instead of 48bit hdloader.

The hdd images were probably set up using more recent apps. Winhiip is too old so it is of no surprise that it does not recognize what more recent programs have done to a drive.

From your description it is looking more like an issue with your adapter and/or modkit. If you have an online-capable game you can see if the network adapter is in working order by trying to go through the network setup of said game. While online games are no longer possible through official channels, you should still at least be able to set up the adapter. This would at least help you narrow down on the point of failure.

Last edited by rs1n,

coolfunkypanda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you end up figuring this out? Same thing happening to me bought a fat that cane with network adapter and can’t get it to detect after the sata mod. The disc drive doesn’t work so I wasn’t able to confirm if the network adapter worked but I think it probably would.

D

Deleted User

OP
Did you end up figuring this out? Same thing happening to me bought a fat that cane with network adapter and can’t get it to detect after the sata mod. The disc drive doesn’t work so I wasn’t able to confirm if the network adapter worked but I think it probably would.
I think it might be because my purple board is scratched. I'm doing other more important things right now though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1