FAT or FAT32?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Verocity, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Verocity
    OP

Verocity Ö!

Nov 26, 2006
    United States
    Georgia
    I have a good question, cause im not sure and I can't find this anywhere on Google or anything. But which format will hold more data and is it possible to compress my micro-sd card. I have alot of stuff I want to cram onto it and I dont care how long it loads, since it'll be slower if its compressed.

I've already fit a good bit on my 1GB its pretty full I have a full movie (Austin Powers Goldmember [​IMG] ) and about 24 games. Plus some mp3 and what not. So which is the way to go FAT or FAT32. Im using FAT currently. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    FAT32 will waste less data in big allocation units, but unless you have a large number of files (as in thousands) on the memory card it's not going to make a huge difference. At most you will save an average of 32kB per file, but probably a lot less.

Also, you might run into compatibility issues depending on the flash cart you are using it in.

3. Verocity
    OP

Verocity Ö!

Nov 26, 2006
    United States
    Georgia
    EZ4 lite Deluxe I am using, if that helps anyone. So I guess FAT what I have right now is good then.

4. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    NDS games cannot run if they are compressed, but GBA games can, since they have to be copied to RAM first anyway. I don't know much about the EZ carts, but the on the G6 you can compress GBA roms, and they take about 4 times as long to load.

5. yee

yee DOTA 4EVER

Jul 9, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver
    Use FAT formatted with 64K clusters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice