fat or fat32 for m3 real?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by teH XeRO, Jul 4, 2008.

Jul 4, 2008

fat or fat32 for m3 real? by teH XeRO at 8:43 AM (3,126 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. teH XeRO
    OP

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

United States
    should i format my card in fat or fat32 (and at what cluster size)? whats the difference whether its fat or fat32 and the differences in cluster sizes and which would allow the m3 to work the most efficiently?

2. halomasta

Member halomasta GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Fat32 I don't know the technical reason I just know never to go Fat. (no pun intended)

3. mateusz4444

Newcomer mateusz4444 Newbie

Poland
  4. teH XeRO
    OP

United States
    lol so we got one tally for each...well i no my 4gb transcend was by default formatted as fat32 (and my 1gb ultra II i always foramtted at fat 64k clusters)...what are the limitations and advantages to either in regards to how the cart operates with it? i never quite understood what they meant when its been explained to me or on sites that get to the technicalities..im good with computers and things but just never understood the logic behind it lol

5. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    just did some wikipedia checking.
    FAT16(or just FAT) supports storage media up to 2GB(4GB when using 64k allocation size)
    FAT32 supports up to 8TB

6. teH XeRO
    OP

United States
    so it just has to do with the physical size of the card that determines whether u use fat or fat32 or ntfs, etc.. is there any benefit in terms of speed? so with my 1gb card, there is no point to format in fat32 since its only purpose is to act as a means of formatting a higher storage device? and as for my 4gb..i can format in fat with 64k clusters or fat32 with whatever clusters it supports? anything higher than 4gb NEEDS to be fat32?

edit: reading up on wikipedia..just finding it hard to understand all the technicalities and numbers...also, whats the purpose of the clusters or allocation size? what does that mean and what it comes down to, what is recommended for say my 4gb transcend sdhc or my 1gb sandisk ultra II..is there a particular cluster size that either fat or fat32 (depending on whichever is recommended best to use) to format the card at?

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    my 4GB already came with FAT32 on it
    works fine, never had any speed problems in any games or freezes

8. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    about the allocation size.
    each file you put on the microSD will be chooped into pieces of each the size of your allocation size.
    i'll give an example of what can happen, tough these values aren't exact values you can encounter.
    say you'd have an allocation of 4MB(not going to happen, but let's just pretend it's possible)
    and you put a file of 9 MB on there.
    it would be chopped into 3 pieces, 2 of 4MB, and 1 of 1MB.
    but no matter what 1 section can never contain 2 or more files, so the 1MB piece will still take up 4MB

from what i understand, FAT16 IS faster because it uses larger allocation sizes.
    but, files will take more space than they actually should.

and i believe m3sakura doesn't support FAT16

9. teH XeRO
    OP

United States
    well it must because i was using my 1gb ultraII (formatted in FAT) and it seemed to work fine. only thing i think i remember happened was it doesnt support higher than 32k cluster. i havent tried using the 4gb yet, guess i'll just format at default settings and not worry too much about it. didnt know if it mattered all that much, plus was trying to get a slight crash course in this crap as it always confused me lol