Hacking Fat 32 or 16 on r4ds which is best and how ?

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Highly unlikely they'll ever implement NTFS. Even under Linux, NTFS drivers are reversed engineered because to get 'official' access to the NTFS specifications requires a licenses from Microsoft.

I don't think the R4 dev team is going to care about licenses when your making a product that plays pirate Nintendo DS commercial roms....that's the least of their worries!

File Systems are an essential part of any OS and without them they don't work. I can't see Microsoft issuing any law suits with regards to that.

Now if their new file system information got out, then I can see heads rolling!

My point was more the fact that there isn't any official documentation for NTFS. Even NTFS-3G, which is the most advanced open source driver still isn't feature complete, and it was only released as a stable earlier this year.

The fact is, unless an 8+TiB flashcart comes out any time soon, there really is no need for a flashcart to support anything other than FAT/FAT32.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
format g: /fs:FAT /A:64k
(replace g with letter of device you want to format... duh)

That's how you simply format a card with FAT and 64k clusters.

And whoever said FAT doesn't work on 2GB+ devices, why is my 4GB Memory Stick Duo for my PSP formatted in FAT then and works perfectly fine?

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
format g: /fs:FAT /A:64k
(replace g with letter of device you want to format... duh)

That's how you simply format a card with FAT and 64k clusters.

And whoever said FAT doesn't work on 2GB+ devices, why is my 4GB Memory Stick Duo for my PSP formatted in FAT then and works perfectly fine?

So you can choose FAT/FAT32 cluster sizes. I've only been aware of this for NTFS. I'm not sure if its new in Vista, but they are also selectable in the GUI format window too.

aquariumboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i keep my microsd card (1GB) formatted at fat32 and everything works smoothly, when i had it formatted at fat16 my card would act funny like it would just shut off without any warning, my games would slowdown and start up really fast... i think you just have to experiment with the differint formats to find the right one.

Shbek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering - how do you specify the size of the clusters in FAT16? I go to reformat select FAT16, then go down to "Default allocation size" and it just says "Default allocation size" and nothing else in the drop down menu.

I guess so long as its in FAT16 it doesn't matter though

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: hmm the post i was quoting didn't get quoted. oh well

The smaller the cluster size the slower reading/writing things are(not by much though)

Shbek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I figured out how to format to FAT16 with 64k clusters. I originall had FAT32 and I noticed quite a difference when I watched the DoS intro. It always lagged at this one spot (but if you compared the actual game to the R4 side by side, the R4 always finished first oddly enough, even with FAT32) but yeah, after reformatting it to FAT16 64k, no lag. Yay I guess. It was just on that one movie.
tongue.gif

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use FAT16 with 64K clusters. Never had any problems, and it is pretty quick and stable on the problem titles.

I go to:
START
RUN
DISKMGMT.MSC (disk management)
RIGHT-CLICK on the drive you want to format
FORMAT
CHOOSE A NAME, THEN A FILE SYSTEM, THEN A CLUSTER SIZE

*Please note that Windows XP and Vista are the ONLY 2 OS that can go to FAT16 64K. Windows 2000 and 98/ME can only go to 32K clusters for FAT16.

Hope this helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes