Fastest way to transfer ps3 HD to higher capacity

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by StriderVM, Jun 13, 2019.

1. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    I just gotten a PS3 Fat from a friend and just put CFW and some homebrew on it. The big problem is the HD is only 20GB. Not a lot of space. So I bought a cheap 240GB SSD to replace it.

Is there a way to copy/clone the contents of the 20GB HD so I wont need to reinstall the firmware/CFW once I put the 240GB SSD in?

2. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    You can use the Backup to USB Utility (somewhere under System Settings), put the new HDD in and choose restore from USB.

StriderVM and Retinal_FAILURE like this.
  3. Haizum74

Haizum74 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I used Multiman and cloned the HDD.

StriderVM and Retinal_FAILURE like this.
  4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    If it is a 20 GB model, it's NAND so the operating system is not on the HDD... not that a 5-minute installation would be a big deal, amirite? :)

StriderVM likes this.
  5. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    I've just seen in the guides that it would require reinstallation of the firmware / CFW . The main issue is I'm not sure what CFW is installed in this system. In the system settings it just says 4.83, but I'm sure it's CFW because it has package installation and Multiman already installed and working. =)

EDIT : It seems Ryccardo is correct, since it is a FAT PS3, the firmware is on the NAND and there's no need to reinstall the firmware. Thank God. I've restored the backup copy and all is well. I guess my worrying is all for nothing. =)

Last edited by StriderVM, Jun 13, 2019 - Reason: No problem at all.
  6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Not all fats are nand - although the CECH-B (the only 20 GB out-of-the-factory model) is

You don't have to install the same operating system anyway, any equal or higher version* is fine, as with any update

* if the console has the QA flag enabled, lower versions too...

7. Haizum74

Haizum74 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    My phat is NOR and all it took was connecting the new HDD to one of the usb sockets, going into Multiman and cloning the original HDD to the new one. Plugged in and bingo. 20mins total

8. Spadezilla

Spadezilla GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    United States
    yo how big of a difference is it with the SSD? i imagine things like saving/loading is a lot more responsive?

i was thinking of getting a small SSD just to hold the main files and then just store the backups on my server and netboot them.

9. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    It helps with load times iirc. That's about it though really

10. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    In Tekken Tag Tournament 2, loading times on the mechanical HD was from 12 seconds to 16 seconds.

In the SSD (Kingston 240GB) the loading times were from 4 to 8 seconds.

Spadezilla likes this.