Hacking Fastest way to transfer games from PC to internal HDD?

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

So I recently just RGH my Xbox 360 Slim and I've got it up and running with Aurora.

I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to copy games and content to my internal 250gb HDD. So far I've tried a few different methods but they've all been incredibly slow. As I'm running out of ideas I thought I would make a post and see how other people handle this situation.

FTP.
So the first method I tried was FTP. I have both my Xbox 360 and PC hooked up via ethernet to my router. I noticed Aurora has an inbuilt FTP service so I just went for that. I successfully connected to my Xbox 360 from my PC using Filezilla (I also tried Cyberduck which is another free FTP client). But the transfer speed was INCREDIBLY slow. I was only getting between 800kb/s - 1.5mb/s transfer speed. This means it would have taken around 30 minutes just to transfer ONE Xbox 360 game to the HDD. I could understand if I was using WiFi, but I wasn't, I was hooked up directly via ethernet. I'm pretty sure I even got faster speeds via FTP when in the past I hooked up my Original Xbox to transfer games/content over.

SATA USB 3.0 ADAPTER.
Next method I tried, I took out the internal HDD from my Xbox 360 and hooked it up to my PC directly using a SATA USB3.0 cable. I managed to successfully browse the HDD on my PC using Xplorer360. I then used the "Inject Folder" feature to copy over a 1gb folder to test. It's been 15 minutes (as I'm typing this) and the folder is STILL transferring over, incredibly its even slower than FTP. - Over the past month I've been transferring games to my PS2 HDD using an app called WinHiiP and I've been able to transfer over 3-4gb games in less than 1 minute using the exact same SATA USB3.0 adapter. Its blowing my mind that this 1gb file is STILL copying over.

USB THUMB DRIVE.
This is probably the fastest method I've tried so far but its also the most impractical. I've got a 14gb USB thumb drive and if I copy over 2-4 games (depending on their size) one by one to the drive, I can then put that drive into the USB drive of the Xbox 360 and copy them over using the Aurora file manager. However I find this incredibly tedious, going back and fourth.

So am I missing something here? Why does it seem so incredibly hard to copy/transfer games over to an internal Xbox 360 drive. As mentioned above I've spent the last 1-2 months fixing up my PS2 library and transferring games over to my internal HDD. I've been able to transfer bulk games in a matter of minutes.

EDIT: Just as I'm finishing up typing this post, the 1gb transfer on Xplorer360 finished and I can't even see it on the drive. So I have no clue what's happened there.

Last edited by ThaKarra,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's something up with your network that's preventing you from reaching max speeds on FTP.

Try another computer, try XeXmenu hell try FSD first before dismissing FTP.
It's the easiest solution to copy games to a hacked 360 aside from using external HDDs.

Reactions: KiiWii

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There's something up with your network that's preventing you from reaching max speeds on FTP.

Try another computer, try XeXmenu hell try FSD first before dismissing FTP.
It's the easiest solution to copy games to a hacked 360 aside from using external HDDs.

I'm not sure where I would start to diagnose a network issue. I've used FTP before for plenty of consoles and it's never been this slow. I also transfer files from PC to PC over the same network all the time and don't seem to have issues. I just have a simple router setup with all my devices connected via ethernet, nothing too fancy with rules setup etc.

I'm having luck at the moment with a Windows app I found called Party Buffalo. It seems to be transferring my games over nice and quickly without any issues (so far). If I start running into problems again then I shall try the FTP service that XeXmenu offers.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Odd, I always seem to get over 10 mb/s when FTPing to me 360 and I have something on me network that limits everything to 10 mb/s.

Tried a crossover cable?

Party buffalo driver, USB XTAF, Xplorer 360 etc work but can cause issues.
I know that Xplorer 360 has different versions for different sizes of drives, touching the emulator partition with a incorrect version can cause corruption.
The only reason why I'd use those would be to rescue save games/profiles from harddrives in all honesty but if you've got success with injecting files then good to you!
Just be careful when using those applications to mess with your harddrive.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Odd, I always seem to get over 10 mb/s when FTPing to me 360 and I have something on me network that limits everything to 10 mb/s.

Damn I wish I could get those speeds. Would definitely be a lot more convenient. Later when I've got everything all hooked back up and in place, I will give XeXmenu a try. I don't have FSD installed but I guess I could quickly install to give it a shot too.

Tried a crossover cable?

Don't currently have one sadly.

Party buffalo driver, USB XTAF, Xplorer 360 etc work but can cause issues.
I know that Xplorer 360 has different versions for different sizes of drives, touching the emulator partition with a incorrect version can cause corruption.

Cheers, I'll keep this in mind. I don't plan on messing around with any files other than my games folder. Strictly just want to get my games copied over and then I'll probably never need to worry about transferring files again.

Reactions: DinohScene

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
After using Party Buffalo to successfully transfer over about 9 games the app stopped working. Whenever I try to copy over a game now it just throws an "Unexpected Error". Not sure why its suddenly decided to stop working...

So I hooked everything back up and I tried FTP again. This time XeXmenu as the FTP server. I'm getting about 3.5mb/s per transfer. If I try to transfer 2 games at once then I get about 2mb/s each. Either way its going to take around 30 minutes per game.

I wish Party Buffalo didn't stop working because it was transferring games in like 3-4 minutes. Very frustrating.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr, but use an ethernet cable. the 360 uses a 100/10Mb/s connection, where as the ps3 uses a gigabit connection. this is for all models. anyway, with a direct connection, you should be able to get 10-12MBs/s. that's what I get on both 360 and ps3, because my laptop doesn't have a gigabit connection for the ps3.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
tl;dr, but use an ethernet cable. the 360 uses a 100/10Mb/s connection, where as the ps3 uses a gigabit connection. this is for all models. anyway, with a direct connection, you should be able to get 10-12MBs/s. that's what I get on both 360 and ps3, because my laptop doesn't have a gigabit connection for the ps3.

You mean skip the router and plug an ethernet cable directly from my laptop to the Xbox 360?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might have to bridge network adapters. that's what I usually have to do iirc. just highlight both wireless and wired connections, and right click, then bridge.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you sure the hard drive itself isn't flaky?

It's definitely a possibility. But I've dealt with many "flaky" hard drives before in the past and I have a pretty good idea of the symptoms. Aside from Party Buffalo suddenly throwing errors, the HDD seems to be reading data fine. I can still copy over games via FTP/USB thumb drive and it reads them perfectly.

you might have to bridge network adapters. that's what I usually have to do iirc. just highlight both wireless and wired connections, and right click, then bridge.

I have a Macbook Pro so I can directly link the 360 and share the network connection. I use to do this back in the day with my original Xbox. But totally forgot this was a possibility. I'm going to give it a shot now and see how it stacks up.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 25ft ethernet cable. I only get it out whenever I'm going to transfer a lot of files, because it's kinda a hassle. it will be fast though. I was able to transfer over my 1TB internal hdd stuff to my pc overnight or so, and it's nearly full. party buffalo has issues with bigger drives from what I've heard. I've only used it with a stock hdd, so I don't know how well it would work with a jtag/rgh internal hdd. it's like over 500GBs, then you have issues with it.

Reactions: ThaKarra and KiiWii

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a 25ft ethernet cable. I only get it out whenever I'm going to transfer a lot of files, because it's kinda a hassle.

I feel that. I dont think I have an ethernet cable that long but I'm pretty sure I can find one long enough to reach from my desk to the TV unit where my 360 is setup.

This is totally a one off thing though. The plan is to get everything transferred over and then not need to worry about it again. - I'm now just waiting for the last of these slow FTP transfers to finish and I'll try a direct connection.

party buffalo has issues with bigger drives from what I've heard. I've only used it with a stock hdd, so I don't know how well it would work with a jtag/rgh internal hdd.

Yeah it feels like a buggy mess of an app... Seemed very outdated too. Had to run it with Vista compatibility settings (that says a lot). Either way it was doing the job so I was willing to look past its flaws.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a laptop exclusively, but I have my 10TB hdds plugged into it, so I don't like to move it and unplug them. that's usually where my data would be anyway, so I needed a long cable. the ps3 is on the other side of my room, so it's perfect length. btw, you can map network connections like this:

upload_2021-4-30_10-0-0.png

I only did my ps3, because it can be unstable if there are lots of files, so I chose folders with large files. that way you don't need filezilla. you can even map the entire drive, but I opted not to. you can no longer map the drive directly with windows 10 unless you enable smb 1.0. I remember discovering that. it's true of both 360, which had the drive mapped on my windows 7 machine, and the ps3.

the 360 stuff hasn't been updated in many years, so I'm not surprised that it required a compatibility fix. I'm assuming you're using windows 10?

Reactions: ThaKarra

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

It's what I do when I'm repairing Xboxes, works perfectly fine!

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good news guys! Going directly from my Macbook Pro to the 360 using the inbuilt file sharing feature worked perfectly! I'm now hitting 10mb/s.

UBGzuam.png

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's great! I was thinking you had a windows machine, but I think you said you had a mac (just forgot) in a previous post. anyway, glad you got it working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only $150 get it