Gaming Fastest/best rated memory stick duo

drtofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently own a lexar mem stick duo 4gb and it is terrible and i lag in any game that requires much work like gta and FF7 CC
frown.gif
So I'm looking for a new one. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good stick i should buy that's at least 4gb or more. Also i heard that formating to fat 16 might help... any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Drtofu

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have Sony 4GB, but looks like Sandisk 4GB has better reputation.
No matter which one, make sure it's the real thing (MagicGate enabled).

Basically fake memory sticks have "-" next to its MagicGate status.

In order to check for MagicGate, press triangle on your PSP's XMB's memory stick icon and choose information.

Fake ones aren't bad if you run a read/write test on them, but if you run games you'll immediately notice for most fake memory sticks.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
drtofu said:
I currently own a lexar mem stick duo 4gb and it is terrible and i lag in any game that requires much work like gta and FF7 CC
frown.gif
So I'm looking for a new one. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good stick i should buy that's at least 4gb or more. Also i heard that formating to fat 16 might help... any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Drtofu

Let me save you some money.

Stop running those games in CSO format.

CCFF, GTA, GOW, and MGPO are all so demanding that they will lag on ANY flashcard if CSO format is used. A CSO is basically a zipped ISO, and the PSP has to spend time decompressing the data it reads from the memory stick.

If you insist on running GTA in CSO format, you can bump the PSP speed to 333. The other games (CCFF, GOW, especially) already run at 333, so you won't see any benefit.

EDIT:

You can also get some extra speed on your card by formatting it to FAT16 instead of FAT32.

You're already using the fastest flash card out there. Go and download Blackspeed and benchmark your card. Then look at that thread and you'll see that your Lexar card smokes Sony and Sandisk cards.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
^ Actually there is no difference between ISO and CSO from my experience.
If you have a fake stick from any brand, both formats will lag, if you have a real stick from decent brands, neither will lag.

Also some games naturally lag, even people with official game UMD and official firmware in both Phat/Slim experience frame drops. (Like certain songs in DJMAX Portable 1/2)

drtofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First Thanks for all your help. I ran the black speed thing and apparently my stick is amazing with a score of 864.... but for FF7 CC i lag like a mofo in videos i guess it doesn't matter but seeing how that game is fight movie fight movie etc... it gets rather annoying. and my gta vice city stories is a cso so that may be the issue in a bit I'll format to fat 16 i just kinda didn't want to because I would lose so much space..
frown.gif
Well off to format my stick ... and I'll report on my findings. oh yeah apparently mine is a magic gate so its not a crappy china one.

DrTofu

EDIT formating to fat works, thanks for the help. And i was dumb about the losing space thing i dunno what i was thinking then.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
^ Actually there is no difference between ISO and CSO from my experience.
If you have a fake stick from any brand, both formats will lag, if you have a real stick from decent brands, neither will lag.

Also some games naturally lag, even people with official game UMD and official firmware in both Phat/Slim experience frame drops. (Like certain songs in DJMAX Portable 1/2)

I've tested the whole CSO/ISO thing on multiple brands of sticks. God of War is my favorite example. It lags like a bitch when you run it from a CSO, regardless of what compression level was used or what card you were using. It lagged on both my store-bought Sandisk 2GB and on both of my Lexar 4GB's. The lags went away when I used my ISO copy.

CSO's are fine for many games, but there are some that suffer.

Posts merged

QUOTE(drtofu @ Apr 12 2008, 10:26 PM) First Thanks for all your help. I ran the black speed thing and apparently my stick is amazing with a score of 864.... but for FF7 CC i lag like a mofo in videos i guess it doesn't matter but seeing how that game is fight movie fight movie etc... it gets rather annoying. and my gta vice city stories is a cso so that may be the issue in a bit I'll format to fat 16 i just kinda didn't want to because I would lose so much space..
frown.gif
Well off to format my stick ... and I'll report on my findings. oh yeah apparently mine is a magic gate so its not a crappy china one.

DrTofu

EDIT formating to fat works, thanks for the help. And i was dumb about the losing space thing i dunno what i was thinking then.

So your FF7CC game no longer lags?

drtofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope not yet my game play has always been fine it was just the cut scenes that lagged. GTA vice city stories lags a bit not sure if its the card or its a cso.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1