Faster Than Light available on Steam/GoG Today!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Vulpes Abnocto, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    For those of you who haven't heard of it, Faster Than Light is a "Space-Roguelike" that was an absolute hit on Kickstarter. Why did people pledge more than 2000% of the amount they were looking for to fund FTL?
    Lets see what TotalBiscuit has to say about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SnIhpCm5w​

FTL is available for Windows, Mac AND Linux. It can be purchased on Steam, GoG, and directly from the FTL site for $10 USD, free of DRM. And it can be purchased approximately 5.5 hours from the time of this posting, at 7 AM, Eastern Standard Time.

System Requirements

:arrow: Faster Than Light

1 person likes this.

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've never really played these kind of games, yet the gameplay (and TotalBiscuit's commentary) has got me rather interested.

3. ody81

Member ody81 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    So amped for this. Read a preview in a mag a couple months ago.
    Can't think of any other sci-fi rogue-like ever before (Sundog?) so I'm in.

@DiscostewSM
    Grab a copy of Powder for DS or PSP, they'd be a great intro to Rogue-likes/Nethack

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well had some shrapnel left in an old burner paypal account that is better used than earning interest/being funds for paypal and the video looked interesting so I thought I would give it a go. I have a feeling my desire to read some more of my book or do something useful this afternoon (read probably just watch more buzzcocks) will be spent playing games instead.
    I have had a hankering for a space game like this for a while and there are only so many times I can replay DarkStar one, Elite or for the roguelike element Academagia.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Downloading now about as fast as steam can manage for me...

6. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I've been waiting patiently for this, i got myself bang at it last night thinking it was yesterday to be released, so i kept refreshing Steam thinking where is it?

I have 4 hours to go before it becomes available on Steam for me.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Is it really unlocking at different times depending on your timezone? I've already got it installed.

8. EyeZ

United Kingdom
    Yes, always 6.00pm for us in the UK

9. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Don't feel too bad. For some odd reason I thought they would accept a credit/debit card. So now I have to wait 3-5 days for a money transfer to Paypal.

/FirstWorldGamerProblems

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's out already? Wow, that was faster than... yeah, okay, you know where this is going.

It's nice to see a little projects like this get the massive amount of funding and publicity from Kickstarter. Plus, this s probably the closest I'm going to get to being a captain of a starship, so I'll have to make do.

1 person likes this.
  11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    As I sit here downloading it that's exactly how I feel.

12. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Grabbed it about ten minutes after I posted there- aside from 5 minutes to feed the cats it is now 8pm.... Managed to unlock another ship though. Mainly seem to keep being killed by annoying coincidences (ion storm or solar flares) or I screw up an lose a few crew which is never good although with the occasional enemy that seems way more powerful than me (could take on elite fighters and win without so much as having something get through my shield but two jumps later and what looks like a normal auto scout turns out to be something a full volley can maybe just drop the shield of).
    Basically classic roguelike material and for that I should thank Vulpes for bringing it to my attention as it would have completely sailed past me otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  13. EyeZ

United Kingdom
    I had to go out earlier so i have only just nabbed it now.

I see it has gone straight to the top of the Top Sellers list on Steam, must have been quite a few waiting for this release.

14. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    Fantastic game. fantastic. I've played for 4 hours, and it is just awesome.

The Dev is right. The fear of loosing put a great atmosphere on the game. (For who is misinformed, on this game, if you die it is game over for real. No continues, no lives. no load game).

15. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I've already unlocked the Engi ship. Awesome. Can't wait to unlock the rest too, even if they always hand my back rear to me in the 4th sector :(

16. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Can you not save half-way if you need to go afk? Or is it like Binding of Isaac where each round doesn't last that long anyway?

I'll probably get this at Christmas in the sales or in a HIB which it'll inevitably end up in. :P

17. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    You can save + quit but you can't save, die, than load it again. (But maybe there is a way to bypass this, but I'm not interested in cheating now)

1 person likes this.
  18. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I usually get to sector 5 and then die. Just got to sector 9...and the first fight destroyed me instantly. Ship had like 4 weapons and 4 shields...the hell, not fair. Doesn't help every store I visited sucked, and any weapon I found wasn't something useful QQ.
    The Engie ship definitely kicks the first ships ass though. Just need to reinforce the doors or buy mantis'...goddamn invaders. I love suffocating them.

19. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well finally made it all the way and died about 20 seconds into the final boss (I got into a couple of fights on the way there and was less than half health, about 4 missiles and no augmentations to speak of). I will have to try out the game using a boarding party instead as I have not really tried that style of play yet.

1 person likes this.
  20. EyeZ

United Kingdom
    Wow! you've got to final boss already?

I played the tutorial last night and was thinking of doing the tutorial again today to get my mind straight on the mechanics.