fast question.....

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by AsianMemories, Jun 29, 2008.

Jun 29, 2008

fast question..... by AsianMemories at 7:49 PM (2,057 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. AsianMemories
    OP

Newcomer AsianMemories Member

United States
    what's the difference between (E) and (U)? is e for english or european? and what's u for? U.S? U.K.?
    no flaming please, i just want a quick answer

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    E is for Europe and U is for U.S. Usually, the U.S. one has only English, but the European ones have several European languages (including English). Also, the English in the European versions is pretentious and has extra letters in certain words. And calls soccer "football."

-Bri

3. AsianMemories
    OP

United States
    oh ok. thanks. and also, jpn is (j), us is (u), europe is (e), so what's australia?

4. Bri

United States
    Korea/Korean, Netherlands/Dutch, and Russia/Russian all have region codes (I assume K, N, and R). There are also some games published only in Spanish, French, German, or Italian.

English is the official language of Australia, so they can choose between (U) and (E) depending on how pretentious they are and whether they like extra letters in their words.

Australians usually call soccer "soccer," although they use the word "football" to refer to Australian rules football (rugby league).

-Bri

5. AsianMemories
    OP

United States
    wait so why is it on almost every single site theres only (J), (u), and (e)? ive never seen any other letters

6. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    My understanding of it is that the majority of games are made for one of those three regions. It could be that the site you are visiting only hosts games for those three regions, but I doubt that. I say pay closer attention and look harder.

Or else, try searching specifically for the rom files with the language you want it in.

7. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, search for Pok√©mon Diamond and Pearl, you'll also see (I), (E), (G), (F) and more [​IMG]

8. AsianMemories
    OP

United States
    oh ok. taht answers everything. so basically, i live in the U.S. so i should generally get (E) right?

9. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Nope (U), Europeans get the (E). Although when it comes to DS-games it doesn't matter.

10. Bri

United States
    Search for "Verbeter Je Woordenschat" (Dutch version of "My Word Coach") or Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End (1367) -- the Russian version -- and you should see something other than (J), (U), or (E). I think 1367 may be the only Russian language game.

-Bri

11. AsianMemories
    OP

United States
    my bad. alright. and one last thing i promise. are the rom numbers ordered by release dates? as in, if i knew the US version was relassed before a european version, then the rom number for the US version would be lower right?

12. Bri

United States
    I believe so, yes.

-Bri

13. Bri

United States
    Not unless you're pretentious, add extra letters to words, and call soccer "football."

You don't, do you???

-Bri

14. AsianMemories
    OP

United States
    ^i accidently read that E was for U.S. my mistake. too sleepy. sometimes, summer vacation can be more exhausting than school lol

and on my vba i had a lot of (E) games and they seemed fine. but now i know to get (u). thansk again

15. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    If you live in the US, you want (U)... unless it's not released in the US

If you live in a European country, you want (E), most of the time it'll allow you to choose between English, Spanish, French, and some other languages.

And (J) is Japanese with only and handful of games that have english.

16. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    the releasenumber is the order in which roms are dumped by acknowledged rom dumpers.

it usually doesn't really matter whether you get (E) or (U) no matter where you live.
    i usually take (U) even though i'm european.
    that's because i'm only really interested in english language games(or occasionally japanese) and (U) games are often smaller files.

17. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    I usually get (u) because Australia mirrors america more than europe these days.

18. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    not exactly, it's in order of when the game has been "dumped" (the rom being made publically available over the internet). So in some cases the release date (as in when the game's officially available from shops) for game A may be a week before Game B, but Game B has a lower rom number because someone was able to get a copy and dump the game before game A - despite Game A being out in shops for longer. [​IMG]

19. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I used to do rom stuff a decade ago for NES (releases) and I remember most of them valid from then.
    J=Japan
    U=USA(North America)
    E=European(general)
    K=Korean
    C=Chinese

Euro games sometimes get specific country releases or whatever happens and I've seen stuff like below but some are damn rare used just a handful of times while other have a small but notable pile:
    A=Australia
    G=German
    I=Italian
    S=Spanish (Spain/Mexico)
    F=French
    P=Portuguese(Portugal/Brazil)