Farewell AK2i.. But what to get now?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Hollthulhu, Mar 28, 2013.

Mar 28, 2013
  1. Hollthulhu
    OP

Newcomer Hollthulhu Newbie

United States
    So, I was excited to get my first 3DS (XL Pikachu!).. and then I realized how often this thing is being updated and then I realized that apparently AK2i is dead (no more updates). My Flashcart issue wasn't a deciding factor in buying the system or not, however I made a mistake of updating my DSiXL and thinking everything would be okay, but it isn't. So, now I will be buying a new flashcart.. but I will be honest, I have no idea what I should get. I tried to look at a couple websites explaining the differences, and they all sound mostly the same. I had my Acekard for over 3 years.. so it definitely got it's use, I am not sad to see it go. It did it's job and it did it well.

So, now I am wondering what I should get to replace it. I keep seeing people mention the DSTwo.. but I don't know if it is a good pick for me. I hear emulation of other systems is quite poor on the DS and there is also Homebrew out there for doing that kind of thing. Would there be any other reason for me to pick this cart?

I would ideally like something that gets quick updates and seems it will have another long lifespan like my AK2i did. I have a 3DSXL and a DSiXL, both currently updated as of this post, so I can use my older system for emulating if it is currently more preferred (with the more frequent updates of the 3DS), but I'd like it to work for both. I do like being able to emulate some other systems, but I don't know which ones emulate well and which ones have the most problems. I buy stuff from the eShop and current games for 3DS, so update priority is important.

I really appreciate the help and guidance. I bought the Acekard because a local friend of mine had it, and they offered to help me get it set up. Beyond that, I didn't get into reading up on homebrewing or other carts.

2. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Your best bet would be the Supercard DSTwo. :) A bit pricey but it's had the least problems among all the carts when it comes to handling Ninty's attempts at blocking flashcarts.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DSTwo is the only cart that's never needed a hardware update to bypass a DSi or 3DS firmware update.

4. Hollthulhu
    OP

Newcomer Hollthulhu Newbie

United States
    Those are some pretty good reasons to want it. Is it as easy to use as Acekard? Also is there any recommended retailers for it in the US?

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  6. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Pretty much if you can use an Acekard, you can use just about any current flashcart :)