Far Cry 2 Map Creations

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by ackers, Nov 22, 2008.

Nov 22, 2008

Far Cry 2 Map Creations by ackers at 2:50 AM (1,012 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. ackers
    OP

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Just post the name of your map where we can rate it in this thread!

My map is called Forts n Pipes 3b. The 3b part is what version it's at (it's been through 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a... up to 3b - quite a lot of changes!). Even though it's a small and pretty simple map it took me ages to get it to where it is now!

To download specific maps, I think there's a 'search custom map' option in the downloads section of the map community where you can type in the map name. My gamertag is Aquilina.

Post your creations here or even post your recommended maps here.

2. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    booted up the map creator today, put down two buildings then said to myself, "You know you can either spend ages making a crap map then give up after wasting loads of time or give up now?".
    I then closed it down and never opened it again. Don't think I ever will.

Just don't have the creativity or patience to make a map in any kind of map creator. Shame, I'd love to do it as well :\.

Anyone else find that btw, or is it just me?

3. rscarrab

Member rscarrab GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Alright ackers. I tried tried out your map Forts n Pipes (think it was your 4th revision). That secret pipe that goes under the water, connecting the two bases; is pretty good. Only thing i can suggest is to change the time of day / bring down the stormy weather conditions since it's too dark.

Anyway, here's my contribution, made it a week or 2 ago. It took one LONG night/morning to make (+ a little creative stimuli... [​IMG] ).
    It's called "Sandy Cove" and is kind of a homage to one of the original Far Cry (PC) multiplayer maps.

Check it out if you get the chance (It's only good for DM & TDM, had to change the DM spawn points after a few complaints, now their fixed).

And Trolly, once you get acquainted with the map tools you might find yourself churning out a few nice maps? Though you did mention you don't have any creative patience, you also mentioned that you'd love to do it as well...

So why not get stuck in, eh?

4. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! I've updated my map to version 4a now (I never stop refining it lol) and I've made the secret pipes a lot shorter so you don't have to spend 5mins getting from one end to the other. [​IMG] I will make sure to make it lighter next time. [​IMG]

I'll give your map a try today.

Anyone else, don't be afraid to give the map editor a try! You can make anything with that thing if you put your mind to it! I've played Titanic, a Star Wars map and Jurassic Park and other maps you wouldn't think were possible and they're all brilliant. It's like playing a completely different game!

5. rscarrab

Ireland
    Right, i've updated my map to "Sandy Cove 2"; if you had checked out the last one you'll now notice a vast improvement.
    Well... while the level itself is essentially the same i added something large in the middle.

One complaint i kept hearing is that people who weren't sniping were at a disadvantage since it's such an open level, so i added a huge walkway made out of quays that connect the two islands, providing some much needed sniper cover.

One thing that really pisses me off is the snap-to effect that occurs when your trying to place items (like fences for instance) next to each other, sometimes it's handy, but most of the time it's a pain. Some items don't line up properly so you have to spend ages glitching or trying to find another item that "fits". Any idea how to disable it?

6. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    To disable auto-snap you just go press start in the editor and choose settings. It can be a pain sometimes! I'll give your map a try now actually.

7. rscarrab

Ireland
    Cheers, that's saves me a lot of hassle!

EDIT:
    Map updated, it's the final -> "Sandy Cove 4".
    Fixed all the snap-to problems and added some detail objects. 100% of memory is taken up, so there won't be any more changes.

8. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    I tried your map when it was version 2 but no one joined my match. No one ever joins my lobbies. [​IMG]

My map is at 4b now - just a few fixes here and there and new signs.. pretty much final now. I have plans for new maps. [​IMG]

9. rscarrab

Ireland
    Ye it's hard to get randomer's into custom matches, apart from the odd trickle. Luckily for me i know a few lads that still play it a bit.