Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Crystal the Glaceon
ReiNAND received a commit 2 days ago
But I don't think it will receive much more commits
I will have to keep an eye on reiNAND.
I am on Gateway 3DS 3.71 and emunand 9. Is it worthwhile updating to Luma CFW and how would I go about it? Are there any risks involved or am I better off staying as I am and just update emunand? Would DSiware games work on Luma, ie Fieldrunners, as it doesn't on Gateway?
There are no risks involved with going with Luma3DS or any other CFW. All CFWs will work just fine with your current emuNAND.
As for setting up Luma, just follow her Wiki
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade
DSi/GBA games have to be installed on both the sysNAND and emuNAND to work on the emuNAND. Or to make things simpler, I suggest ditching emuNAND and going with A9LH+sysNAND CFW
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

dc0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks both of you. What stage do I start from with the Luma CFW, can I start from a certain point as I already have a hack installed? Or am I best off starting from the very beginning, or doing a full system format removing emunand and the gateway hack?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks both of you. What stage do I start from with the Luma CFW, can I start from a certain point as I already have a hack installed? Or am I best off starting from the very beginning, or doing a full system format removing emunand and the gateway hack?
You really don't need to do any of that. Since you should have 9.2 install, just start with setting A9LH. After you have A9LH installed, you can use Hourglass9 to transfer your emuNAND to your sysNAND.

django112

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I heard something about a new tool coming soon that will making installing custom firmware and such easier, is that true?

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with the new a9lh with no sd boot, is it possible and safe to install other cfw other than luma?
It seems only luma works in ctrnand atm. cfw would need to be updated to save their config in ctrnand.
You can have a luma payload in ctrnand and a different cfw on sd though.
(I have Luma in ctrnand and Corbenik on my sd card)

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So with the new a9lh with no sd boot, is it possible and safe to install other cfw other than luma?
Shadowhand claimed he was working on it, but never so far that hasn't happened.
Luma3DS really seems to be only CFW to be able to do this because of it's "all-in-one" nature. All of the patches are build into the launcher, so booting from ctrnand isn't very hard.
Compared to Corbenik that is set up with the Unix-Like filesystem, allowing all parts to be tweaked.
Personally I run Luma on my ctrnand and Corbenik on my SD card.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just copying the set up from sd to ctrnand won't be enough to make it work? I mean if it can load the boot time homebrew like hourglass 9 without sd (even though you still need sd) i was just thinking it could do the same. :unsure:

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So just copying the set up from sd to ctrnand won't be enough to make it work? I mean if it can load the boot time homebrew like hourglass 9 without sd (even though you still need sd) i was just thinking it could do the same. :unsure:
I am not completely sure how it works, I just know that CFWs like CakesFW and Corbenik really can't do it. Or if they could, it would be a bitch to set up

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I am not completely sure how it works, I just know that CFWs like CakesFW and Corbenik really can't do it. Or if they could, it would be a bitch to set up
There is not much point though, is there? I only use CTRNAND CFW to fix my setup when I screw it up myself. Not to mention, no CFW updater is capable of CTRNAND updating either, sooo you would have to manually update it every time.
Corbenik is not meant for people who would be bothered by this either, is it?

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

3dsbeginner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm wondering if this tutorial would work for installing Luma? I'm also wondering if menuhax is the same as rxtools? I think my 3DS uses rxtools as when I've had to go into the browser to get my games to show up again (if I've had to switch the console off) the screen that it flashes to has rxtools up at the top. I'm really bad with all this stuff, so any help/advice/answers would be very much appreciated, thanks!

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm wondering if this tutorial would work for installing Luma? I'm also wondering if menuhax is the same as rxtools? I think my 3DS uses rxtools as when I've had to go into the browser to get my games to show up again (if I've had to switch the console off) the screen that it flashes to has rxtools up at the top. I'm really bad with all this stuff, so any help/advice/answers would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Please don't follow video guides they are normally outdated. if you need to install luma use https://3ds.guide/
Rxtools isn't menuhax and rxtools shouldn't be used as its outdated and broken. Just follow the guide I linked to install a cfw and hack that are up to date. Its a very easy guide and shouldn't take longer then an hour.

3dsbeginner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Please don't follow video guides they are normally outdated. if you need to install luma use https://3ds.guide/
Rxtools isn't menuhax and rxtools shouldn't be used as its outdated and broken. Just follow the guide I linked to install a cfw and hack that are up to date. Its a very easy guide and shouldn't take longer then an hour.
Thank you for answering. I'm just worried I'd mess up with that because A9LH seems quite difficult to install? And yeah, I want to get Luma instead of rxtools now because I can't get newer games with the latter :D

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for answering. I'm just worried I'd mess up with that because A9LH seems quite difficult to install? And yeah, I want to get Luma instead of rxtools now because I can't get newer games with the latter :D
A9LH has gotten much safer and easier to install. Now their is almost no reason not too install it as it is super easy to install and makes sure you can understand it. Their is almost no chance of messing up unless you ignore all safety checks. (Their are a lot)

3dsbeginner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A9LH has gotten much safer and easier to install. Now their is almost no reason not too install it as it is super easy to install and makes sure you can understand it.
Okay thanks, I'll try to follow it or ask someone to help me with it, haha. Thanks again :)

CGNetwork

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Folks, which app is best and safe for me to stream or record games wirelessly after I finish up setting up my N3DS XL via Downgrade DSIWare Exploit and System Transfer from my hacked 2DS through the guide I follow?
That's hardly I want to know to avoid all the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu