Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anyone know which CFW boots fastest with A9LH?
I've used all the CFW's for A9LH. I would have to say, SaltFW is just a bit faster than Luma3DS, but not by a lot. After those two, CakesFW, then ReiNAND.

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used all the CFW's for A9LH. I would have to say, SaltFW is just a bit faster than Luma3DS, but not by a lot. After those two, CakesFW, then ReiNAND.

Weird. I just tried them all out and found Cakes to be the fastest for me and Salt to be slightly slower than the latest Luma. I posted my findings in my OP.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Weird. I just tried them all out and found Cakes to be the fastest for me and Salt to be slightly slower than the latest Luma. I posted my findings in my OP.
SD speed maybe a factor. Testing on my Boyfriend's class 4, I found Luma3DS to be the best. On my Class 10 SaltFW seems faster. It all could just boil down to brands, speed, etc. But I did find ReiNAND to run the slowest regardless of SD speed. ReiNAND is the only one where I can visibly see the slower boot up. It takes like a whole 10 seconds to boot my entire homescreen using ReiNAND, compared to like 3 to 5 seconds using any other CFW.
I also found for CakesFW, that the patches do make a slight difference.
I'll do some more testing

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anyone know which CFW boots fastest with A9LH?

EDIT:

I timed the A9LH coldboots myself from pressing the power button to when the home menu appeared. Don't take these times too seriously because the timing involved me reacting to the home menu appearing which may not have been exactly consistent throughout. Here are the average times of 3 on my o3ds SysNand 11.0:

Luma3ds v5.5-ae1033d9:
Average boot time: 7.68.6666 Seconds

ReiNand CFW v4.1:
Average boot time: 11.81.6666 Seconds

CakesFW Nightly v175:
Average boot time: 7.62 Seconds

SaltFW v2.0b LTS:
Average boot time: 7.77.66666 Seconds
I'll test mine out, give me a second, testing with old3DS, Sandisk 32GB Class 10 (U1) MicroSD card, running delebile latest branch with ctrbootmanager9 bootloader. I am running over 110 games (over 31GB,) so it takes forever for everything to load. So from pressing A on the bootloader to completely loading all icons on screen. It would be a load shorter if I had less games and stopped it as soon as the CFW loaded, but I am going all the way to being completely usable.
(I am loading this in the order that it is presented in my bootloader)

SaltFW v2.0b LTS: 20.4 seconds (Bootsplash) 16.9 seconds (Without Bootsplash)

CakesFW Nightly v175: 17.2 Seconds

Mizuki (Private CFW):
17.4 Seconds

Luma3ds v5.5-ae1033d9:
20.5 seconds (Bootsplash) 18.8 seconds (without Bootsplash)

ReiNand CFW v4.1:
15.2 seconds (Bootsplash) 15.4 seconds (without Bootsplash)

Well that was unexpected, ReiNAND actually loaded faster today compared to other days. But yeah CakesFW is faster than both Luma3DS and SaltFW. Now of course, results may be different for others.

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll test mine out, give me a second, testing with old3DS, Sandisk 32GB Class 10 (U1) MicroSD card, running delebile latest branch with ctrbootmanager9 bootloader. I am running over 110 games (over 31GB,) so it takes forever for everything to load. So from pressing A on the bootloader to completely loading all icons on screen. It would be a load shorter if I had less games and stopped it as soon as the CFW loaded, but I am going all the way to being completely usable.
(I am loading this in the order that it is presented in my bootloader)

SaltFW v2.0b LTS: 20.4 seconds (Bootsplash) 16.9 seconds (Without Bootsplash)

CakesFW Nightly v175: 17.2 Seconds

Mizuki (Private CFW):
17.4 Seconds

Luma3ds v5.5-ae1033d9:
20.5 seconds (Bootsplash) 18.8 seconds (without Bootsplash)

ReiNand CFW v4.1:
15.2 seconds (Bootsplash) 15.4 seconds (without Bootsplash)

Well that was unexpected, ReiNAND actually loaded faster today compared to other days. But yeah CakesFW is faster than both Luma3DS and SaltFW. Now of course, results may be different for others.

I didn't even realize you could disable the Bootsplash in ReiNand. I reran my ReiNand times and found no noticeable improvement. If anyone is curious my SD card is a Sandisk 32 GB Class 4.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't even realize you could disable the Bootsplash in ReiNand. I reran my ReiNand times and found no noticeable improvement. If anyone is curious my SD card is a Sandisk 32 GB Class 4.
I had to just straight up remove the splash files from the folder to disable them. Weirdly, removing the bootsplash for ReiNAND, made it load slower.
I've been testing it for a few hours now, getting weird results. So I can safely determine, CFW's do strange things.

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to just straight up remove the splash files from the folder to disable them. Weirdly, removing the bootsplash for ReiNAND, made it load slower.
I've been testing it for a few hours now, getting weird results. So I can safely determine, CFW's do strange things.

That happened to me too! I thought I had just mistimed earlier trials, but ReiNand loaded slower with the BootSplash missing.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
so only cakes supports multiple emuNAND?
but I thought luma also supports that. here's what the wiki says

• Use second EmuNAND as default: Makes the second EmuNAND the default. This has no effect if there's no second EmuNAND.
    • If the option is on, holding down B will boot the first EmuNAND.
    • If the options is off, holding down B will boot the second EmuNAND.

edit
whoops sorry, didn't read this :P
These are just the features I covered: The rest are in the wiki

Last edited by Garou,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
so only cakes supports multiple emuNAND?
but I thought luma also supports that. here's what the wiki says

edit
whoops sorry, didn't read this :P
This is mostly focusing the most commonly asked questioned about these CFW's and explaining their features. But I will include that one as well since I did include in the CakesFW FAQ.

Reactions: Garou

AdmiralToucan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is Salt even on the list? It's Luma with someone elses name on it and all the dev does is bash Luma.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why is Salt even on the list? It's Luma with someone elses name on it and all the dev does is bash Luma.
It's on this list for the reasons I listed and as someone who's followed his project, I have yet to see any disrespect toward her. He simply liked her work, but didn't want the features. Thus it's called a "Slim Alternative Firmware," it's not meant to replace Luma3DS, but compliment it as a slimmed down version of it for people who like Luma3DS, but don't care for the extra features. It's a CFW for those who don't care about CFW's.
I am also not shy to to flat out say it's "Luma Stripped down." Nor is Shadowhand shy to mention that it's Fork of Luma3DS
Slim Alternative Firmware (SaltFW) is a minimalist and easy to use fork of Luma3DS.

Either way, this is not a debate thread nor an ethics thread. This is thread explaining all the CFW's out there. SaltFW is a CFW, it maybe a stripped down version of Luma3DS, but it's still a CFW. If you don't like it's inclusion on the list, then I am going to be blunt, I don't care.

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Nice thread! Everything you need to know is there, what CFW to use is left to each user, but for people just starting to know the 3DS scene, this thread will be really helpful. ;)

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I want to include Gateway CFW, but since I don't own a Gateway, I couldn't give a fair summery of all the features. I know I could just copy them and give a summery, but my summery would either be missing details or just straight up wrong. So if anyone want to contribute an article of their own for Gateway CFW, that would be greatly appreciated.

AdmiralToucan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's on this list for the reasons I listed and as someone who's followed his project, I have yet to see any disrespect toward her. He simply liked her work, but didn't want the features. Thus it's called a "Slim Alternative Firmware," it's not meant to replace Luma3DS, but compliment it as a slimmed down version of it for people who like Luma3DS, but don't care for the extra features. It's a CFW for those who don't care about CFW's.
I am also not shy to to flat out say it's "Luma Stripped down." Nor is Shadowhand shy to mention that it's Fork of Luma3DS

Either way, this is not a debate thread nor an ethics thread. This is thread explaining all the CFW's out there. SaltFW is a CFW, it maybe a stripped down version of Luma3DS, but it's still a CFW. If you don't like it's inclusion on the list, then I am going to be blunt, I don't care.

He only liked her work enough to just take it and slap his name on it, then remove things he knows nothing about which is why it had so many revisions to fix the protections he stripped (Aurora herself even stated the flaws in the thread). The dev has been proven to be incompetent and disrespectful https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyprog...de_a_programming_on_3ds_homebrew_right_there/ If you want real active development in a CFW, then you just get ReiNand, Luma, or Cakes. Yet Another RX Tools? Looks promising as well and what these projects have in common is that they have developers.

Reactions: astronautlevel

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He only liked her work enough to just take it and slap his name on it, then remove things he knows nothing about which is why it had so many revisions to fix the protections he stripped (Aurora herself even stated the flaws in the thread). The dev has been proven to be incompetent and disrespectful https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyprog...de_a_programming_on_3ds_homebrew_right_there/ If you want real active development in a CFW, then you just get ReiNand, Luma, or Cakes. Yet Another RX Tools? Looks promising as well and what these projects have in common is that they have developers.
Like I just said, this is not a debate nor an ethics thread. This is my thread and guide. What I see fit to be included, will be included. This will not turn into another SaltFW debate thread. Anymore debating on the ethics of SaltFW will be reported.

AdmiralToucan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like I just said, this is not a debate nor an ethics thread. This is my thread and guide. What I see fit to be included, will be included. This will not turn into another SaltFW debate thread. Anymore debating on the ethics of SaltFW will be reported.

All I did was provide evidence to support my claim. It's not even about ethics, it's about safety. Users are safer with CFWs made by actual developers that know what they are doing. Using Salt puts your 3DS at risk. What's the point of even mentioning RXtools in this guide if you won't provide a proper description of it?

Reactions: astronautlevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay