Homebrew FAQ: Is freeShop legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to simply argue is Freeshop illegal? is to the same of ISO Tools like UltraISO/MagicISO or ISO Mounters(VirtualCD by various developers. etc.) said software can be use dto make illcit copies of Discs , personal backups or make New Disc image sfor legit uses, Mount them to run a game w/o the disc that Needs it "Inserted" but doesnt have a NoCD Patch.

same way Freeshop is in teh same light. yes you CAN pirate and thers a whole heap of Tempers who use it that way (by using titlekeys from they Key site.) or how it was intended to be used, by dumping your own keys and use it to allready own w/o needing to use the eShop it's not "FreeShop" in the sense "Free Games eShop" its FreeShop as in "Free OpenSource eShop" its why it sits in a legal grey area,nothing prevents you using someone else's key dump/the big DB list from that key site, or anything saying you Must by all means use yours and only your Keydump.

do i claim innocence to pirating? No i'm Hella guilty, but do i Abandon buying any game at all on the 3DS? No i have a handfull of legit Digital and Physical games. if i like the game enough i'll go outta my way to save up $$ to get the game,

D

Deleted User

to simply argue is Freeshop illegal? is to the same of ISO Tools like UltraISO/MagicISO or ISO Mounters(VirtualCD by various developers. etc.) said software can be use dto make illcit copies of Discs , personal backups or make New Disc image sfor legit uses, Mount them to run a game w/o the disc that Needs it "Inserted" but doesnt have a NoCD Patch.

same way Freeshop is in teh same light. yes you CAN pirate and thers a whole heap of Tempers who use it that way (by using titlekeys from they Key site.) or how it was intended to be used, by dumping your own keys and use it to allready own w/o needing to use the eShop it's not "FreeShop" in the sense "Free Games eShop" its FreeShop as in "Free OpenSource eShop" its why it sits in a legal grey area,nothing prevents you using someone else's key dump/the big DB list from that key site, or anything saying you Must by all means use yours and only your Keydump.

do i claim innocence to pirating? No i'm Hella guilty, but do i Abandon buying any game at all on the 3DS? No i have a handfull of legit Digital and Physical games. if i like the game enough i'll go outta my way to save up $$ to get the game,
I guess the same can be sead for torrent clients aswell?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the same can be sead for torrent clients aswell?
some Linux distros used Torrents to proliferate as it eas easier than paying for hosting bandwidth/space, and for the longest time FFXIV "1.0" Delivered Updates via bit torrent. (which Square Enix dropped after so many people found ISPS started filtering/slowing the traffic down.)

codexdragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question --- i had to update my freeshop a couple weeks ago. Ever since then Pokemon ultrasun has been telling me I need an update to get on the internet. But there's no update available on freeshop. ????

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Question --- i had to update my freeshop a couple weeks ago. Ever since then Pokemon ultrasun has been telling me I need an update to get on the internet. But there's no update available on freeshop. ????
Not sure what this has to do with this topic, but the Freeshop cache may be outdated (whether because you're not using the newest version of the app, connection problems, or simply not being updated server-side) - but you can download and install game updates any other way just fine, such as from the home screen

codexdragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought this was the freeshop thread.

so when i move the cursor over pokemon ultra sun, it prompts me to update the game. but wouldn't that update it via eshop?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wrong, Freeshop is just a downloader GUI... any title (game, game update, dlc, system app, kernel module...) is made up of 3 things: content(s), tmd, and ticket

When downloading something via Freeshop, the contents and tmd come from the eShop, while the ticket is generated locally using the titleID (from the tmd) and the titlekey (from the enctitlekeys file);
of course the resulting ticket is unsigned, unlike one obtained directly from the eShop (which would require obtaining a license for said title - it just happens that game updates are free and can be "bought" directly from Home)

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Guys let's face it; what do you think people are gonna use this app for? This app's intended purpose is literally for pirating games off nintendo CDN, even the name suggests it. But hey, I love piracy <3

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Guys let's face it; what do you think people are gonna use this app for? This app's intended purpose is literally for pirating games off nintendo CDN, even the name suggests it. But hey, I love piracy <3
It doesn't matter what people use the app for though. The app itself is still legal until proven otherwise and possible use of piracy does not make it illegal until Nintendo steps in and a courtroom agrees with them.

codexdragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong, Freeshop is just a downloader GUI... any title (game, game update, dlc, system app, kernel module...) is made up of 3 things: content(s), tmd, and ticket

When downloading something via Freeshop, the contents and tmd come from the eShop, while the ticket is generated locally using the titleID (from the tmd) and the titlekey (from the enctitlekeys file);
of course the resulting ticket is unsigned, unlike one obtained directly from the eShop (which would require obtaining a license for said title - it just happens that game updates are free and can be "bought" directly from Home)

Okay, that makes sense. But shouldn't the update be showing when I am in freeshop?

RandyPhantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that makes sense. But shouldn't the update be showing when I am in freeshop?
Make sure your IDs are up to date. If you've confirmed that they are indeed up to date, and you're on the latest fork, post an individual thread with your problem, don't hijack this one.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this 11.8 update and ancillary stuff going to be breaking freeshop permanently?

I been hearing not to use it or you can get banned right now.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this 11.8 update and ancillary stuff going to be breaking freeshop permanently?

I been hearing not to use it or you can get banned right now.
it has a higher ban risk on 11.8 and will flat out stop working when the ticket Check is enforced on nintendo's CDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse