ROM Hack Fan Translator Discord group? Known File Format Wiki?

Should we have a translators discord and/or wiki?

• Yes both please!

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Yes, but only a discord group.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes, but only the wiki.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No. We don't need either.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been thinking about how much the 3DS scene for fan translations seems to be growing lately and i was thinking that maybe we should start up a wiki+subreddit, and/or a Discord group specifically for talking about translating 3DS games.

I was talking with IcySon55 and we thought that the existence of a a fan translator group for 3ds games could be hopefully very useful for helping people coordinate and translate things more effectively/efficiently. It'd be easier to find people interested in helping work on game translations that actually have the ability to translate.

Such a group could cover multiple languages of course, though it's likely Jap>Eng would be the most common.

A wiki could be useful so that we could list known text & image formats by file extension as well as the tools that can be used to edit them. Perhaps listing what games those file formats show up in as well could be useful. Reddit as far as I know provides an open forum like situation for discussion as well as room for a wiki that we could use for this documentation.

Does any of this sound interesting and worth doing? Please share your opinions.

SoyAlexPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You guys can create a subreddit and you can use the wiki feature for it, you can link images directly but it's easy to set up. I did one for my 7th Dragon subreddit. If you guys need anything regarding graphics let me know.

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had actually intended to transform my Detective Pikachu discord into the fan translation hub. But I still haven't thought of a good name for it. Any suggestions?

The discord is here for those interested.

The idea is to have most if not all of the translators, tool authors, etc... In the discord and run individual projects in their own channels. So we'd have a dedicated channel for Great Detective Pikachu and for each game translated.

I welcome all existing projects that want to join and leverage any expertise we have.

I will also provide a private SVN repository for all translation teams and their projects as well as support users and how to use it best.

If required, I can coordinate releases as well. Keeping in mind that the time I have available for this will vary wildly from day to day.

Thank you @WillTheLion for starting this thread. I hope to make this great!

P.S. No game is excluded. I'll support any translation project. Be it for N64, GBA, PSP, Vita, whatever!

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just realized there is actually a gbatemp.net wiki. And after looking further into reddit wiki's they're rather ugly looking and not very commonly utilized solely for a wiki. Thus I have decided to add a new page the pages of the 3DS Category of the gbatemp.net wiki: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Translation_Hacking

Please post any information you know regarding file formats and programs used to edit them for 3ds games there.

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to thank everyone who's been helping add to the wiki page so far. It's starting to look very nice and useful. Please help spread the word so others can also add what knowledge they know there as well.

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For anyone that isn't aware, this project turned into Fan Translators Int. at the beginning of 2017:

Fan Translators Int. Discord

The file format wiki idea didn't get that far but instead turned into a series of applications known as the Kuriimu suite.

Kuriimu

Cheers~
-Icy

Last edited by IcySon55,
Reactions: pixelmasher

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"