Fan remakes Super Mario Land in "New Super Mario Bros." style, as a SNES homebrew game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 25, 2019.

1. flashmanx

flashmanx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    I can't get it to play o my snes emulator snes9x for 3ds
    i even changed it to .smc any ideas?

2. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States

The odd collision detection is how the original game acted. it was put there on purpose. I read the author wanted it that way. Having played the original a lot i can confirm its like that for a reason. In the gb version is almost looks like you are gonna pass through the blocks.

cots likes this.
  3. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    So staying faithful? It's been so long since I've played the monochrome original. I actually had the cart for the console. Bought the Game Boy brand new back when it was released. Well, I still hope someone addresses the issues. For a modern remake I don't think these things should be there.

4. MasterF0x

MasterF0x GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Why wouldn't it be okay to link a ROM? It's public domain and SNES ROMs technically don't contain confidential data when built from the ground up, such as this homebrew

5. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Assembly. A...fvicking...ssembly...

Any idea how much graft that takes?

Kudos to the dev. No mere mortals could attempt such things, therefore, he must be on the autism spectrum. Only way to explain this genius!

I tip my hat to you, Mr. Dev, sir.

banjo2 likes this.
  6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So erm...is this playable on a typical windows snes emulator? :unsure:

I'm also not sure how to react to this. Yes, SML is one of my finest childhood memories, but before Super Mario Bros 3, the franchise was mostly a "let's throw things at the wall and see what sticks". I mean...you were chasing a girl named Daisy, the world was a real-life ish world and you were fighting an alien named Tatanga. Playing this with modern-ish graphichs would be like stepping in an alternative universe. :P

Is that a joke? :glare:

Okay, let's assume not. Yes, it's built from the ground up, which is okay. Yes, in this case a SNES rom can be distributed without much hassle (I'm not 100% sure, and there might still be patents in place when distributing actual snes cartridges, but the rom is probably okay). But that still leaves the elephant in the room: the Intellectual Property.
    Nintendo owns Mario. That means that anything stepping on their franchise can legally be DMCA'd. And for good reason, because in video games this is really what the product is about. I mean...it's like saying "yeah, I wrote that novel. Sure, it's word for word the exact same as an old Stephen King novel, and I also tell everyone it is, but I used different paper!".

7. Charli

Charli Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Charli is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2011
    Germany
    played trough with a friend - we had a lot of fun, co-op ist hilarious! :D There are some things that seem bit buggy, but nothing that'd be a showstopper :)
    It's great that even hardcore mode was implemented (after finishing the game the second run is harder, there are more enemies). Also the Scoreboard showing each players death count and a few other stats is a nice feature :) I'm not a huge fan of the 3D-ish sprites though but that's probably just me.

kudos to the author! And thanks for sharing :)

Last edited by Charli, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    banjo2 likes this.
  8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I guess is technically possible to make something very close to Super Mario Land using Super Mario Maker 2, the problem ia all the original enemies that don't appear in any other Mario game, not even Super Mario Land 2.

Edit:

Works on snes9x emulators. Try the version of Snes9x for the 3DS if no other snes emulator for the 3DS works.

It needs some more work, for example when you get the fire ball power up mario still looks the same. But I admit remaking all those enemies is impressive.

There is a colored version of the original game somewhere if you want something truer to the original.

Last edited by raxadian, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:47 PM