Fan remakes Super Mario Land in "New Super Mario Bros." style, as a SNES homebrew game

LD1icZS.jpg

The romhacking and fan-game world never ceases to amaze, as fans take decades-old experiences and repurpose them in a more modern and refreshed take. Super Mario Land is one of the most recent games to get this treatment from a dedicated fan, as they re-created it entirely in the style of New Super Mario Bros. That in and of itself is pretty interesting, being able to see something that originally released on the Game Boy in full color, as if it had been released a handful of years ago, instead of 1989. It gets better, though, as the developer has not only done that, but furthered their effort and created the game specifically from the ground up, in assembly, for the Super Nintendo. So, you've got a game from the Game Boy, with the visuals of something on the Nintendo DS, playable on the SNES.

In true New Super Mario Bros. tradition, the homebrew game has four-player co-op. Wall jumping was also added to Mario's arsenal of moves—something that was not present in the original, along with a few tweaks to platforms in order to make the game more playable in a multiplayer format.

This game came out of nowhere, arriving in reproduction cartridge form to a friend of the developer, who wants to remain anonymous, and refuses to share the game publicly, for fear of legal action. However, the owner of the repro cart also teased that it might be available one day, in the usual places that these sorts of games tend to crop up on. The development of New Suoer Mario Land took around 3 years to create, and came from a lone developer who wanted to share it with his friends as a Christmas present to celebrate Super Mario Land's 30th anniversary.

:arrow: Source

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
It's a completely made from the ground up. The author by his lonesome programmed it in ASM and created the art assets by himself. The levels were created by referencing the data in the Game Boy Rom. If you know anything about SNES homebrew this is something that takes teams of skilled programmers to do and most of the recent ones to do this sort of quality work end up only releasing their games as retail cartridges. It's very rare to see this sort of quality from a SNES homebrew let alone one that is completely free.

so basically it's homebrew, not a romhack. got it.

Reactions: cots

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 years? In assembly?! God, whoever this man is; We need to give him at the very least a pat on the back.

I agree. He's apparently a huge Nintendo and Mario fan. It's just too bad he won't be addressing any of the issues the game has, but that's the beauty of the community - someone is bound to fix the sprite clipping and collision detection box issues.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well seeing as nintendo/tpc is busy with lawsuits for pokemon this will spread like the black plague on the net too late stoping this now unless you purge the entire net which is utterly impossiable

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I... don't like it. Guess that's the best I can say. Super Mario Land is actually one of my favourite Mario games, and I really like both how it looks and how it sounds (Hip Tanaka!), so I don't see this as an improvement in any way.

I do say it's outstanding that the person did this, I guess. 4 player co-op seems like a very novel and interesting idea and the fact this was coded in Assembly is straight-up bonkers. I guess I would be more psyched had it been any other project and with any other look, but it's not up to me to say that; the person did whatever they wanted to do so kudos to them for that.

Last edited by YukidaruPunch,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well seeing as nintendo/tpc is busy with lawsuits for pokemon this will spread like the black plague on the net too late stoping this now unless you purge the entire net which is utterly impossiable
Doubt it The Pokemon Company needs to show the expenses on this ,it's a matter of time big N's ninjas will be coming

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've seen this already but I wasn't sure if it was a romhack, or an entirely new game. It had some NSMB exclusive features so it seemed like it would take a lot of ASM hacking to turn Super Mario World into NSMB. But this is even more impressive. Looks like it plays like an authentic Mario game too, though I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. But it's very hard to get the mechanics exactly right and even small differences can throw you off after years of muscle memory being built up from playing Mario games. So getting that right is a feat in itself and not something you see often in fangames.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the rom and played it on an emulator. Rom is 2 megabytes(16Mbit)
I will be loading it to my Superwild card DX2 for real hardware testing.
It seems they used the same trick rare used with donkey Kong country. taking pre-renderd models and converting them to sprites. Its supposed to be build from scratch. If that is the case then the person that created it is a true boss. something modern devs lack.

D

Deleted User

Here we have a project built entirely by scratch, made by someone as a gift.. And I bet Nintendo would send him copyright infringement notices if he didn't stay anonymous.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head