Fan remakes Super Mario Land in "New Super Mario Bros." style, as a SNES homebrew game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 25, 2019.

1. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Wouldn't it be something if someone put this on real SNES carts and sold them as if it were an official game to unknowing people on eBay? Not saying it should happen, but... :huh:

Last edited by banjo2, Nov 25, 2019
  2. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    How SNES can handle the Nintendo DS game? Isnt DS is more powerful than SNES?

3. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    It's made from the ground up, rather than a port

4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    People sell fan translated and romhack games on repro carts saying they’re official all the time on eBay.

banjo2 likes this.
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'd be happy with a WarioLand level editor for the first game. There was one started, but it never got finished.

6. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2009
    Scotland
    Its a little rough round the edges but i cannot criticise the whole thing being built from ground up and taking mechanics from not only a previous gen console but also later gen console and actually writing them in.
    Its impressive. Compliments to the chef!

cots, Ammako and AmandaRose like this.
  7. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    For those that care, this game works as a SNES inject on the WiiU, if you want 4 player support you must use the official "Natsume Championship Wrestling" as the base.

Supported controllers:
    - Wii Remote with Classic Controller attached (Wii Remote by itself or Nunchuck connected will NOT work)
    - WiiU Pro Controller
    GamePad will always be player one, if you need to change which player is the GamePad, tap on the GamePad screen to get into the Virtual Console Menu, on the TOP RIGHT of the screen that shows P1 with 4 boxes, tap this, here you can change which player is assigned to the GamePad. For 3 or more players, the GamePad will need to be the last player.

Enjoy

zfreeman, pivix, VinsCool and 2 others like this.
  8. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    I'd appreciate it if you could DM it to me on Discord :ph34r:

9. Ammako
    This message by Ammako has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Nov 26, 2019, Reason: gray area.
    Nov 25, 2019
  10. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Well done you just got that site member into trouble as the link he posted is against site rules as classified by @Chary on page 1 of this thread. Good job Ammako

11. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Or they got themselves in trouble by posting it. ;)

12. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Nope as the link had not been noticed before by site staff. But you have now linked to it in a thread by a staff member :)

13. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    >Reads title
    >Re-reads title
    wat
    >looks at screenshot and looks back at title
    wat
    Well color me interested. Looks like I am going hunting.

14. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am not responsible for other members' postings.

15. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Yes but you are for your own and you have posted a link to the original link so technically you have linked to banned material on the site so you have also broke site rules

CORE likes this.
  16. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Sure, if you feel like it.

17. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    To think these kind of visuals were achievable way back then..... Truly an interesting thought.

18. James_

James_ Merry Thanksgiving and a happy new Halloween.

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    You know I'm going to be playing this.

Actually I already beat it.

Twice.

19. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot ...The Nintendo DSi, am I right?

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    At least we can say it's better than the Super Mario All-Stars HD garbage.

20. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Anybody gotten this to work on an SNES Mini?

21. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    The ROM is on archive.org. I doubt it's going to be DMCA'd on a site that has DMCA exception. I also don't believe it's against the rules to mention Archive.org because they have a DMCA exception (therefore, they cannot possibly violate the DMCA for using their exception). A quick search for it by name will bring you directly to the download. It's also only a homebrew game that uses original assets. It's not like the Link's Awakening Remake made in RPG maker that this site has no problem allowing users to link to (which includes asset rips directly from various official Nintendo produced Zelda game Roms).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It has some major sprite clipping issues and the hit box used for character detection is too small. However, it has not crashed on me yet. For a Super NES homebrew it is very impressive (seeings as it was coded in ASM by one single person). Porting open source engines to the Switch is a walk in the park compared to what this guy did. Hell, coding for the Switch in C/C++/C# is a breeze compared to coding for the SNES in ASM.

He based his artistic work on Donkey Kong Country. These sorts of visuals were achievable back then. Did you not own a Super NES?

This game was originally produced for 30 of people and was distributed on the kiosk-reprogrammable "Nintendo Power" cartridge, which he helped the SNES community reverse-engineer. I'm not sure if someone then dumped and distributed the game Rom of if he decided to anonymously spread it around the net.

It's a completely made from the ground up. The author by his lonesome programmed it in ASM and created the art assets by himself. The levels were created by referencing the data in the Game Boy Rom. If you know anything about SNES homebrew this is something that takes teams of skilled programmers to do and most of the recent ones to do this sort of quality work end up only releasing their games as retail cartridges. It's very rare to see this sort of quality from a SNES homebrew let alone one that is completely free.

Last edited by cots, Nov 26, 2019
    zfreeman and Xalusc like this.