Fan project ports Fallout New Vegas to Fallout 4's engine

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 16, 2018.

Front-page

One of the major complaints about the two Fallout games that released last generation is that they tend to "feel clunky", or have "aged badly". That's why a group of fans have banded together to remake Fallout: New Vegas in the newer Fallout 4's engine. A trailer went up, showing off the first moments of the game, and the character customization feature. The project is still early on in development, but work has been happening on and off for about a year now. Another fan attempt, Fallout 3 in Fallout 4 was shut down earlier this year, as Bethesda stepped in due to the team reusing their voice clips, something that the property owner wouldn't stand for. That's why Fallout New Vegas in Fallout 4 has decided to redub major voices lines, so that they won't run into legal issue. Multiple different scripters, designers, and character modelers worked on creating what's seen in the footage above. There's no date as to when something playable might release, but it shows that efforts are still going strong.

Xabring, Spunky247, Laroon and 11 others like this.
    Discussion (21 replies)
  1. smileyhead

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Nice. I didn't even think that was possible!

2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Wouldn't it be easier to extract the assets from the original game and reuse them? Or is it too difficult even with some kind of automated installer?

CuriousTommy likes this.
  3. TimeMaster

TimeMaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    I'll def be keeping an eye out for this

4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    i hope Bethesda won't break in and force them to shut down the project like what happened to Skyrim co-op project...

5. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    It's nothing new. Modders have been doing projects like this with the Elder Scrolls series (Morrowblivion, Skyblivion, Skywind, etc).

They could, but the assets themselves are outdated. Plus, they would still have to build many parts of the world from the ground up regardless, so it's probably better for them to use Fallout 4 assets where they can, and their own assets where needed.

Bethesda hasn't shut down Morrowblivion, Skywind or Skyblivion, so I doubt they'll shut this one down. Granted, there's still the disclaimer that the user will have to own Fallout 4, New Vegas and any DLC whose assets are used.

Last edited by Delerious, Sep 16, 2018
    damiano2712 and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I was thinking more about things like vox lines.

7. roastable

roastable GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Did you read the accompanying blurb in the OP?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    This sounds great, I'd much rather it be the Capital Wasteland project as I like 3 more than New Vegas, but I won't get excited about any projects like this until I see a release..

9. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    This is a dream come true! I just hope it doesn't get shut down tho...

10. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes I did:

What I was saying was why not have people extract the original lines using their own files.

That said thinking about it, I'm guessing they're hoping to be able to distribute the mod as such that you don't need the original game.....which knowing Bethesda may or may not avoid legal issues (wouldn't surprise me if they send a C&D anyway).

11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    then why did they shut down skyrim co-op?

12. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I just hope they keep the green yellow tone in the game. Def not a fan of the weather effects of fallout 4 with no clouds and nuclear fallout to be seen anywhere and the fucking sun everywhere wich you should normal see less with all the nuclear fallout

13. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Aug 2, 2014
    United States
    [fate6@Canterlot ~]$
    iirc the devs of that got greedy and wanted to charge money to host servers for it, aka they wanted to profit from BethSoft IP so the fancy lawyers stepped in.
    Provided no money is involved BS tends to not care.

As for the guy that asked about ripping the audio from NV using an installer, TTW does that to get assets from FO3 but i guess the devs of these newer mods don't want to do that for some reason.

14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Presuming you mean me, I did theorise later on that they may be hoping to release the game without requiring the original in any way, not sure if Bathesda will be happy but only time will tell.

15. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Which mod is this? Skyrim Together is the only co-op mod I know and it’s not shutdown.

16. Siveon

Siveon Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Re-dubbing the lines sounds like a shitshow. I'd rather they just use the assets directly requiring you to own the game like other projects.

Either way these projects never seem to live up to the expectations. There's always something missing, something that's not quite right, etc.

17. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    That's, wow. Why not hire these people?

Also, lol to the "too embarrass to say" answer.

18. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Ow yeah, that's what I like of PC gaming, mods! and mods like this are great! I personally didn't like fallout 4's town system, it detract me a lot of runnin amok, so I guess this is a welcome mod and an excuse to play "fallout 4" again.

19. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Take one broken game and port it to a more broken engine... Seems legit

Siveon and Xabring like this.