Fan Chinese-Translated Roms Can't be Opened on DeSmuME, RetroArch or no$GBA

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by bingbingBOPOMOFO, Jul 13, 2017.

1. bingbingBOPOMOFO
    OP

bingbingBOPOMOFO Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2017
    Taiwan
    Thanks to @Subtle Demise For the Troubleshooting Help!!!
    SOLUTION: Change Chinese Character File Name to Roman Characters

TO MOD: Please feel free to shutdown this post now.

Does anyone have any experience using DeSmuME 0.9.11 playing NDS games? I am currently working on a project examining fan-translated Chinese ROMs. At work, I use a MacBook running OpenEmu that has no issue with the Chinese bootlegs. However, when I try to load the ROMs onto my PC, running Windows 10, the ROM's simply won't load. The emulator simply refuses to read the ROM. I checked what loader OpenEmu is using, and as it turns out, it is also using DeSuME 0.9.11, but I can open the Chinese bootlegs without any issue. I also tried using RetroArch and I get the same issue, Retroacts cannot read the file.

When I downloaded the roms from Chinese cyberspace they were all compressed in a .7z format. I extracted the roms and they are in .nds format.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Last edited by bingbingBOPOMOFO, Jul 13, 2017
  2. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    What sort of filenames do they have? Chinese characters? That might be part of the problem.

bingbingBOPOMOFO likes this.
  3. bingbingBOPOMOFO
    OP

bingbingBOPOMOFO Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2017
    Taiwan
    I didn't expect such a fast answer. You were correct, the file names had Chinese characters in them, I changed that and now they boot just fine. Thank you.

Subtle Demise likes this.