Fan always on mod, or external fan?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by hartleyshc, Jun 19, 2009.

Jun 19, 2009
  1. hartleyshc
    OP

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I think my wii is getting too hot. Started seeing some artifacting while playing Ghostbusters last night.
    Its gone today, but I don't want it coming back.

Whats the best to keep my wii cool?
    The mod listed here: http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Wii/Prevent_Overheating/
    (does the wii fan have different speed settings? I assume if it does, this circumvents this and has it on high? Also is the stock fan enough? even on high?)

or should I just buy one of those external fans? Any recommendations on which one?

The last time I took apart a wii was before I had one. Does the gpu have any sort of heat sink on it? Can I apply/reapply new thermal paste?

Im a pretty good hardware modder, so have no problems adding a better fan internally if theres any good tutorials around.

2. ften

Member ften GBAtemp Regular

Bangladesh
    I've read a few reviews and posts that the internal Talismoon Wiisper fan does a noticeably better job cooling then the OEM fan. Although Buy.com is having a sale on the Nyko Intercooler fan right now, 6.99 no shipping, if your looking for an external fan.
    The GPU does have a Heatsink on it and you could apply new/better thermal past if you wanted. It would be the large heatsink you see in the center of your Wii when you take it apart. It actually covers both the CPU and GPU.
    I've personally never had an issue with the heat in any of the Wiis I've used, so I've never actually had a chance to test any aftermarket fans myself.

-FTen

3. hartleyshc
    OP

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, that seems to be the issue. Everyone with overheating problems just takes it back to Nintendo.
    I don't want to get a LU64+ model back from them. I started getting the green sparkles after playing some ghostbusters, and having the console on for most of the day. So I will be adding a fan and new thermal paste.

Its hard to find any legit stats on these fans, although I do see the wiisper model used quite a bit.
    Is there any homebrew that can give me temp readings?
    Also I keep hearing a case mod mentioned where you can keep the stock fan AND the wiisper fan. Anyone have any links for that?