famous last words...

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by amemoryoncelost, Nov 3, 2007.

Nov 3, 2007

famous last words... by amemoryoncelost at 8:39 PM (1,913 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. amemoryoncelost
    OP

Member amemoryoncelost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=358...ndpost&p=463988
    or this one in general:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35742

those were the days!
    we want an update like this team has promised from the beginning...

2. Neuromancer

Newcomer Neuromancer Member

United States
    I remember those days too. I bought my DS-X in late Oct/early Nov 2006. Now, a year later, we have the exact opposite. Strange that they were working on 100% compatibility back then, but now the DS-X "was always intended only for homebrew", as we found out when the ARM7 protection came out.

Not only did DS-X not "update the Firmware accordingly", but we are "pirate scum" for even asking about it.

3. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    November 2006....

I was in college in the middle of a 1 year course. Finished early and now I'm job hunting.

Funny how the thing that stopped me from getting the DS-X at first was the fact that I was worried the USB might snap off. Course, I think USB is the least of my problems.

4. amemoryoncelost
    OP

United States
    Yeah, we're pirate scum and our carts were never intended for commercial roms, yet it's stated right there, maybe not commercial roms word for word, but it's certainly implied.

I think I got my cart around the same time you did. I was waiting for third batch for a month or two. At least back then there were updates from the team, almost on a weekly basis.

Oh well, just searching through some stuff and ran across it and thought it was kind of funny.

5. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You should really post that on their forums, and see what that douche DX-Guru will have to say about his post.

6. amemoryoncelost
    OP

United States
    Personally, I've never had any issues with getting posts deleted, but I can bet that one would be deleted. Supposedly the shipment of the new carts should be coming in this week or next week and I'm really hoping there will be an update to go along with those. On the other hand, it's only for minor bug fixes and actually not even a real update, just a fix for previous problems.

I'd really like to get a better attitude about my ds-x and I would get one if they can turn it around, it's up to them though...

7. Neuromancer

Newcomer Neuromancer Member

United States
    My guess is that the thread would be deleted, and you would be banned, because only an insane person/spammer/troll would notice a discrepancy between what was promised a year ago and what is said today.

8. dreadyz

Member dreadyz GBAtemp Regular

France
    I edited my original post on the thread "DS-X Guru? A new community update?" on the DS-X site to include the whole quote from DS-X Guru & they haven't deleted it yet. I guess it's okay to quote a mod talking about roms as long as we ourselves don't do it.

"If we compare it to other products, you have a PassMe (25 US$) and (for example) a G6 Lite (87 US$) you end up paying 112 $ US!

The DS-Xtreme costs roughly 13$ more, but what does it offer?

Well unlike the (PassMe and G6 Combo) you benefit from a single Unit that is not only Future proof (It will work with all DS Units from today and tomorrow) you will also NOT be voiding your Warranty (unlike flashme) in any way. You will not require to Patch any Roms either, which means you don't have to wait for a Patch for a certain rom anymore, or wait on a firmware upgrade for your DS-Xtreme.

It's also top notch Quality:

We have a custom-inbuilt USB; Not even DATEL (The Producers of Action Replay, etc) were capable of achieving this (Link) with their huge ressources and R&D Staff. On the DS-Xtreme, there is no USB-Wart. And for those that fear "is it going to break off" - Well i can tell you this much, if you had a DS-Xtreme in your DS, i wouldn't doubt that the DS breaks before the DS-Xtreme if you were to tear on it (or the USB port).

The DS-Xtreme is not coming with a CPLD (Dslink seems to have ditched that) but instead it features a Full custom High Density FPGA "Rapids" which also is not the cheapest part you can get wink.gif DS-X didn't ditch any hardware or challenge so you have to loose your warranty, feature, or future safe. (Dslink requires FlashMe to work!)

DS-X will be delivering Firmware updates to not only improove existing Features, but also introduce new ones. Making your hardware last for very long, and still be able to enjoy the latest new innovations in the DS Community.

The DS-Xtreme features a unique Hardware Design, which is not only based on quality and years of knowledge, but also offers the DS-Xtreme the capability of being fully future proof. It will not be a "works for 2 months" product, that you then sadly can throw away since the hardware did not meet quality or flexibility for the OS to fix things on a software level.

In the end, yes the DS-Xtreme costs a little more then its rival products, but; The DS-Xtreme is much better, longer lasting hardware then anyone else on the market. Its a fully quality based Product that's meant to last and instead of updating the firmware to support a new Rom, we might be seeing feature updates and feature additions instead. I think for 13$ difference i shouldn't have put this much effort in this smile.gif

Release Date
    The Release date, while not OFFICIAL or CONFIRMED from DS-X itself, should be within the following 6 Weeks (End of September). This is my humble guess and should not be interpreted as confirmed or official information. As soon as DS-X chooses to reveal an accurate Release Date i will make sure to get it posted here first yaynds.gif

Which slot does it plug into?
    The DS Slot of course.

Battery Consumption
    Battery life is expected to be very good. It can, and should improove with time using Firmware Updates. The Hardware of the DS-Xtreme is fully capable of working in a "power-saving" state, which makes it possible for various hardware parts to be turned off while they are not needed.

GBA Support
    No GBA support has been announced for the DS-Xtreme. Which doesn't mean it won't play GBA Games in all of it's lifespan, its just not been announced.

Homebrew
    The 100% Homebrew Compatible statement was most probably miss-interpretation. It actually means "The guys behind DS-X are fully (100%) supporting the Homebrew Community" - Now i am not saying the DS-Xtreme is less compatible with homebrew then 100%, or more - I simply am saying the compatibility ratio on Homebrew has not been officially announced. However, i will most likely reveal more information on this in the following days.

Homebrew Developers
    While the DS-Xtreme surely will play your backups, it is in no way "just another backup" Cartridge.
    Homebrew Developers rejoice! I am able to reveal one BIG step forward, that makes the DS-Xtreme even a nice Unit for You!
    So without further delay, i can now reveal that the DS-Xtreme officially supports: USB Debugging (alas i can not reveal more about this feature at the present time)

Can it run Regular 'regular' DS games like all other cards?
    Yes it can, and will not require any patching anymore yaynds.gif

What about Compatibility?
    DS-X is currently hard at work to get 100% Compatibility - If there would be any issue with one or the other Game i am pretty sure DS-X would be releasing a Firmware update for the DS-Xtreme to get those Games working.

How about Saving?
    Yes Saving works without having to apply any patch. More details will be revealed soon... be patient

What does the interface look like? Is it fugly like the G6 or ridiculously simple and ugly like the Supercard.
    I think the DS-Xtreme UI looks good from the GetGo bow.gif But indeed, a picture would say more then a thousand words happy.gif I will look into getting some more of the UI revealed and its looks, and how it is operated smile.gif

Is there a plan for a MicroSD / Bigger Memory Version
    Currently DS-X only announced the DS-Xtreme 4Gb package; Wheter a new model with MicroSD or bigger Memory will come out is future talk. DS-X is concentrating on the "now", and tries to give you guys a splendid OS and very unique features that surely will make up for the size. I think holding ~8 Games is enough, so for all those whom want to store their entire collection of Games on it, yeah sorry, the DS-Xtreme is not for you.

Then again, i am sure DS-X is not sleeping either in their hardware department. So who knows what they will do next. Only time will tell...

Anyhow this was the limited time Q&A Session - Which is over now. I think i squeezed as much information out of DS-X as i can get for the Public before they make a new Announcement. I know alot of questions have not been answered and i can understand that a few of you will be upset; But i think we also covered some Stuff that made people happy smile.gif

So look out for a new Announcement to get the latest and most Accurate information on the DS-Xtreme; Coming soon to a Website near you!"

9. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    Their marketing gibberish sadly made me buy a DS-X back then. I got a little nervous with strange ROM issues and unfulfilled promises jumped off the boat. Sold my DS-X with a little loss, but boy, what a good choice that was.

I think the stuff they do or should I say don't do is unbelievable. Their words were well chosen, but they have done so little for their 'valued customers'. Take something like their 'advanced skinning options with wealths of options' and the PC side skinning app they'd have ready in a few weeks. So sad. [​IMG]

10. Virusak

Member Virusak GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    eeee, that was sarcasm, wasn't it? cause it is not clear and if not, then you must be really really insane

11. dreadyz

Member dreadyz GBAtemp Regular

France
    Yeah, I noticed that the only way you can criticize the DS-X on the official forum without having your posts deleted is by being sarcastic. I'm really pissed because I was over halfway through Phantom Hourglass & got a corruption on my sav file. The DS-X compatibility is getting worse with by the day. All the new improve your vocabulary/learn a language roms don't work. It's hard to keep faith that they're actually going to release a new firmware. I have an R4, but my girlfriend's only cart is a DS-X and she doesn't play it enough to warrant buying a new one.

12. jaygee

Newcomer jaygee Member

United States
    yeah i just got an M3R and gave my DSX to my girlfriend too.. the card had so much potential in the begining.. just never panned out.

13. amemoryoncelost
    OP

United States
    I think I'm going supercard DSone or the new M3. I'm gonna wait about a week to see if anyone else comes out with real time saving and go from there. The DS-X still pulls a pretty penny on ebay, so I'll sell it there and make some of my money back...