Famicom Disk System

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, it's not really a question or anything, but this baby came in today and I just have to show it off:
Here it is in its new home:

Both parts:

A closer look:

All of it put together:

There were three games included, two famicom games (Robocop II and Ghostbusters II), and one FDS game (Final Command: Akai Yōsai, which is visible in the closeup).
The best part? It was only 80 bucks.
All I have to do now is find my old VCR to run the signal through (I still need to find that thing to run my Mega Drive through as well), and make an FDSLoadr cable and I'm good to go :D

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I ended up with a 'Hong Kong Version' of the console that was modded to work in NTSC. Because mine came from China it was accompanied by a slew of bootleg games (Famicom and FDS ones) that have funny names and goofy boxart.

Personally i try not to use my FDS because I'm terrified that the drive belt will break and it'll cost more money that I'm willing to spend on a tiny piece of rubber.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I ended up with a 'Hong Kong Version' of the console that was modded to work in NTSC. Because mine came from China it was accompanied by a slew of bootleg games (Famicom and FDS ones) that have funny names and goofy boxart.
Mine seems to be the real deal (as far as I can tell at least). That's why I don't really want to muck around in it (read: AV mod it).
Personally i try not to use my FDS because I'm terrified that the drive belt will break and it'll cost more money that I'm willing to spend on a tiny piece of rubber.
Yeah, I'll probably use it once or twice just to see what it's like and after that I'll keep if safely locked away.

Here are the two games that came with it:
IMGP0173.JPG

I'm not sure if they're real or not (although I suspect that the Ghostbusters II, at least, is a fake). But got them with the system for (what I believe) is quite a low price (I would've paid double that for the FDS alone).

What suprised me though, is how tiny it all was. Especially when you compare the Famicom with a NES, and the FDS with my commodore floppy drive (which is huge). Granted, the floppy's used for the FDS are far smaller than the ones used for the commodore, but still.

thaddius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I would surmise that the Famicom games you have there are indeed bootlegs. Your Robocop 2 doesn't ressemble this image of an allegedly authentic cart. And the distortion of the Ghostbusters II one makes me suspicious as well. The 'SuperVision' logo on the latter seems to be a rip off of ActiVision's logo so that doesn't bode well either.

I have a couple of obviously fake Famicom games (like Super Mario Bros 2, which as far as I know never had a cart release) and a bunch of *insert implausible number here*-in-one carts.

Your FDS game looks authentic at least. My bootleg FDS games either lack the recessed Nintendo logo, or replace it with words like 'Intend' or 'Indendo'.

EDIT: Oh, and the Hong Kong Version of the Famicom that I have is apparently authentic. Nintendo did release a console there. I'd just rather have a Japanese one someday. The FDS I have is a regular Japanese version.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't know they produced a different version for the Hong Kong area (Although I do believe mine is the Japanese version). But if it's an original either way, I'm happy no matter what version it is. And I'm pretty sure that the FDS game is indeed real, the code, label, and the embossed nintendo logo(sort of) all match the official ones so it's either real, or a really good fake (and, honestly, I doubt that they would put that much effort into it :D ).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
RoboCop II has Chinese on it. It's 100% bootleg :P

BTW, there were a lot of fake FDS disks around back then. Some had "NINTONDO" written on the back, since some of the embossed letters were used for disk detection (or something like that), and other just had the needed letters (iirc, 2).

There were also some real good fakes which had NINTENDO and everything on it :P

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am amazed that you can still find working games for the FDS nowadays. By the way, I just love the famicom design especially since you have an special part to place the controllers

thaddius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just for kicks:
N0dqaRL.jpg

Here's the 'Intend' and 'Intendo' carts I talked about. The Intend one even has Intend written on the label. And the Intendo one has the best bootleg boxart I've ever seen. Golfing Mario 'shopped' into the Castlevania boxart so that it looks like he's 'swinging' a whip? Classic. And yes, that's a ROM hack of Castlevania where Mr. Belmont's sprite is replaced with Mario.

KdTtWTG.jpg

Note the 'T' has a second bar across the bottom. And I just noticed that the 'O' might be a second 'D' instead.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, that O is certainly another D. Regardless, they're still pretty cool (especially the mario one).

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, coming with the manual and everything for $80, not bad =) Spent a small amount more than that on mine, but it was write-modded, so worth it!

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, things just got even better. The guy that sold me the famicom mailed me to say that there was something he forgot, and that I could expect another package soon. Well it just came in today and it contained this:
IMGP0177.JPG

(the Virtual Boy that is, I've had the Philips 8220 for a while now)
Now it didn't include a controller so I can't test it, but still, I just got a free Virtual Boy! So I paid 80 bucks for a Famicom, FDS, three games (granted, two of them are bootlegs), and a Virtual Boy. Add to that my Atari 600XL (with 1010 and Quickshot I controller (all boxed), which I bought for 20 euro's yesterday, and this has been a really good couple of weeks.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, things just got even better. The guy that sold me the famicom mailed me to say that there was something he forgot, and that I could expect another package soon. Well it just came in today and it contained this:

(the Virtual Boy that is, I've had the Philips 8220 for a while now)
Now it didn't include a controller so I can't test it, but still, I just got a free Virtual Boy! So I paid 80 bucks for a Famicom, FDS, three games (granted, two of them are bootlegs), and a Virtual Boy. Add to that my Atari 600XL (with 1010 and Quickshot I controller (all boxed), which I bought for 20 euro's yesterday, and this has been a really good couple of weeks.
Man... fuck you! I mean... just fuck you! :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
About the drive belt - it's made of rubber, lads. Rubber's going to deteriorate regardless of whether you use it or not. In fact, it might actually be beneficial for the system to give it a little spin every now and then so that the belt doesn't lose its elasticity.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well that's true, but you can't blame me for being a little paranoid (I've been wanting one for ten years now, so I really want it to last as long as possible).
Man... fuck you! I mean... just fuck you! :P
Want me to bend over :P .
But seriously, I've had some great luck lately. First a free Vita, which came with my saturn (a shipping error that worked to my advantage), and now this (I'm really hoping it'll last). Well, the counter is now up to 32/33 different systems (depending on how you count the famicom), and 37 total.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
This was very good price for the system! I see you also got a nice briefcase with it! :D
I gave like 120 bucks for the Sharp Twin Famicom. It's the best system I've ever bought :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMUJIofNg