Diablos90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Release: CTR Toolkit 2013-08-16

Now that Gateway 3DS is out, and various teams are working on 'homebrew' for the Nintendo 3DS handheld, there needs to be 'open-source' toolkit so you are not forced to use Nintendo's SDK to develop
icon_xl.jpg

Now that you can run 'backups' on your Nintendo 3DS thanks to the 'Gateway 3DS' flashcart, the next step is to get 'homebrew' enabled, and Gateway team is hard at work on it, but 'homebrew authors' are also hard at work in developing tools for themselves to use and others so you will not be forced to use the illegal official SDK from Nintendo to compile your homebrew game for the 3DS handheld, which is coming as you can see via this statement last week from the 'Gateway-3DS' team:

As a development team we are especially excited to announce the start of our long term dream to enable 3DS home-brew. We have long awaited the time to be able to start working on opening up your 3DS to the amazing home-brew talent. This is not a trivial feat to accomplish and it will take time ! In the meanwhile we will of course continue to enhance the GW3DS with rich features.

Currently, this CTR Toolkit by 'PS3Hen' aka (3DSGuy) is weak, and does not do much and only works on early 3DS prototypes called 'CTR' and some development kits, but it is start and shows there will be 'homebrew' for you to enjoy in the near future.

Legal, open source, 3DS toolkit.

Compiles under Linux and Windows(MinGW).

Includes:
  • extdata_tool - Extracts standalone and FS Extdata and can process Title Database files
  • iconcache_tool - Extracts cached icon data from homemenu extdata
  • make_banner - Generates ICN/BNR files
  • make_cdn_cia - Repackages CDN content into a CIA file
  • make_cia - Generates CIA files
  • rom_tool - 3DS ROM trimmer and info (with compiled win32 rom_tool.exe)
Check the link sites below for updates and downloads. Enjoy!
smile.png

NEWS SOURCE #1: CTR Toolkit - Github (via) Official Site
NEWS SOURCE #2: CTR Toolkit - Downloads (via) EurAsia

Source: GaryOPA from PS3Crunch (Official Gateway 3DS support forum)

Attachments

• ctr_toolkit-master_2013_08_16.zip
    412.3 KB · Views: 573

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll wait 'till this becomes more dev-friendly as it looks a bit too complicated atm. And 6.2+ support. But this is the first step to awesome 3D homebrews and I can't wait till I can port my simple programs for the 3DS.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Niksy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"illegal official SDK" ?
What's illegal about the offical SDK that Nintendo gives?

_V1qY

Trophies
XP
Country
You have to pay a lot of money to become a registered developer and to use it, and if you download and use it illegally, it's illegal!

_V1qY

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I downloaded this thing, and it includes a 3DS ROM trimmer. Will Gateway load trimmed ROMs without problems?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
You have to pay a lot of money to become a registered developer and to use it, and if you download and use it illegally, it's illegal!

but it is not actually illegal right, just against their terms of use?

_V1qY

Trophies
XP
Country
Think of the 3DS SDK as a 3DS ROM. Downloading it is illegal, just like downloading a 3DS ROM. Using it isn't strictly illegal, but that's moot since you have to have illegally obtained it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?