Fallout 76 beta goes live this October, game will not have cross-play

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 27, 2018.

Front-page

If you've pre-ordered Fallout 76, then you'll be able to partake in Bethesda's "break-it early test application", aka the B.E.T.A. for the game. Xbox One users will receive access on October 23, while PC and PlayStation 4 players will get it a week later on October 30. There will be limited windows of time that the beta is playable; only in increments of four to eight hours at a time. This is done in order to force as many people as possible to be online in a short timeframe to test the servers to their limit. An opening cutscene movie for the game was also uploaded, which you can check out in the linked video above. Fallout 76 launches on November 14, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

The B.E.T.A. will include the full game, and all progress made will carry over into the full release in the following month. Despite PlayStation having finally accepted cross-play for third party games, such as Fortnite, developers at Bethesda have stated that cross-play will not be a feature in Fallout 76, and there are no current plans to implement it in the future.

NoNAND, Laroon and CallmeBerto like this.
    Discussion (21 replies)
  1. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    This displeases me greatly.

2. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Mt. Celeste
    Rip crossplay... Again

guily6669 and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Me too. It's something that should be a standard feature in online gaming. :/

kikongokiller likes this.
  4. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Sony just said they would be okay with it.... now this :wacko:

guily6669, jt_1258 and CallmeBerto like this.
  5. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    Disappointing. It's in Bethesda's court now, though. So hopefully they will implement it in future titles.
    At least they can stop complaining about that Elder Scrolls spinoff on PS4.

6. Digs

Digs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    I'm not seeing the big deal about crossplay, it just complicates games and in some cases gives other players unfair advantages like controls or performance.
    Example, Fallout gun play is awful and stiff on consoles, PC players would rule the servers if Bethesda allowed it.

Pluupy likes this.
  7. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    "haha its sony's fault"
    >sony allows crossplay
    "..."

8. SuperNintendho

SuperNintendho Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    SuperNintendho is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 26, 2018
    United States
    Ghost Of Soldiers
    Wasn't it Pete Hines that said Fallout 76 will not have crossplay because Sony is "not as helpful as everyone would like"?
    Sony has revised their draconian stance and yet according to Bethesda it's not going to happen anyway. Seems a little disingenuous.

9. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    Not surprised, to be honest. Sony took their sweet time to start allowing crossplay and by the time they finally did Bethesda likely already had their servers set up with individual platforms in mind. The lack of crossplay between Xbone and PC is a little odd though, i’m guessing that they either had no intent to do console-to-PC crossplay or they just wanted to go for an all or nothing approach that was probably heavily benched on the PS4’s presence.
    Could also be possible that they ran into development difficulties (this is bethesda we’re talking about after all, they’ve never been able to program anything particularly well) so any plans for crossplay support were scrapped.
    It’s either one of those scenarios, or their statement on crossplay wasn’t made with Fallout 76 in mind, and they only said it to get some easy “good guy” points AKA positive PR.

SuperNintendho likes this.
  10. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    Maybe they had the statement about no crossplay in place before Sony made there anouncment meaning they wrote with the assumption sony would never budge

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    *Whew* good thing I had no interest in the game.

12. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    You mean Sony has JUST revised their stuff. It's not like Bethesda is savvy to the then behind-the-scenes decisions of Sony.

13. sks316

sks316 Meloetta, the Melody Pokémon!

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Unova
    Yikes. That's a bit concerning.

14. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 16, 2018
    United States
    The cross play thing is a Fortnite only exception for the moment.

15. chartube12

chartube12 CPT Chazz 713

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    But Bethesda was one of the companies theatening to pull out of the Sony ecosystem of Sony didn’t they didn’t allow cross play. Hmmm probably other reasons why fallout 76 won’t have cross play. Like for example online in fallout is supposed to be a very limited number of people in each instance. So cross play wouldn’t make sense then....at least not until private instances get added

16. supergamer368

supergamer368 yeeeeeoooowwwww

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    That’s kinda dumb. I might have picked this game up and played with my friend (he’s getting it on Xbone, I would’ve had PC) but if we can’t even play together I’m not interested anymore. Ah well. Not a big fan of online only games anyway.

17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I can understand no crossplay between xbone and PC due to the whole Mouse vs controller thing.

Though really given Bethesda absolutely does not want you ever interacting with anyone online, it doesn't really matter either way so it is a bit silly.

Xzi likes this.
  18. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah it's definitely mouse vs controller thing. Unless you include a sloppy approximate aiming system like Fortnite, crossplay in shooters isn't really doable for PC. A lot of other genres, sure, the advantage isn't necessarily as big.

19. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 16, 2018
    United States
    Grow up. No publisher was going to drop a major console on account of cross play policies.