fake r4 + flashme

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by alexjzim, Jul 22, 2008.

Jul 22, 2008

fake r4 + flashme by alexjzim at 2:32 AM (3,266 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. alexjzim
    OP

Newcomer alexjzim Advanced Member

United States
    r4 is making an update, and they r saying that all fake cards will brick (break) your ds. in forums, ive read that if u flash ur ds with flashme, then the fake r4s can run the new update withought having to worry. Is this true? or is this just a rumor?

2. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    While FlashMe does offer brick protection, the R4 can't boot from FlashMe's recovery mode. One thing FlashMe can't protect against is the fuse blowing that half of the R4 clones do. Just get a good cart and get it all over with.

3. Hickeyl

Member Hickeyl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    yea its true the new update for r4 (18th september) will brick any fake r4 users

4. alexjzim
    OP

Newcomer alexjzim Advanced Member

United States
    ok, im jw, i was gunna get an r4 if it had sdhc support, but then i saw that it was a fake (r4 v3), and i dodnt want to get it if they updated it so fakes are killed

5. Hickeyl

Member Hickeyl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    wise decision

6. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Maybe...

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I've heard that if you use R4crypt to encrypt the FlashMe.nds file so it's the first thing loaded upon launch instead of the R4 menu, you can use the R4 to recover your DS's firmware. No clue about other slot-1 devices though.

8. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    First of all I don't think they will intentionally brick DSs. This was a bad google translation. It's far more likely, that they will introduce new features, that will have the R4 draw more power, which could lead to clones drawing to much power and thus to blown fuses in your DS, like the N5 allready does. From such a brick, even Flashme can't protect you.

Btw. Flashme v8 introduced recovery from Slot1, exspecially from R4, so that will work, but not with a hardware brick.

9. ozzymud

Member ozzymud GBAtemp Regular

United States
    R4-III owner here... bought it well over 3 months ago, have had it in all 3 of our lites at one point or another.

It does indeed support SDHC (currently got a 4gb card in it).

Used FlashMe on all DSs in the house after reading the 1st badly translated posts about fake r4 and bricking.

I still dont see why people are calling it a clone, the true R4 does not do SDHC (this is a hardware thing). It might be a knockoff of the original R4, but who cares, it offers something more then the original R4.

And from their website (http://www.r4dsl.net/index-en.asp), they do appear to have made an R4 CLONE, the R4-II uses exactly the same firmware as the R4 (R4-II v1.18 kernel (English) 2008-5-07). The R4-III uses v3.02 kernel (English) 2008-8-11. Dunno about other "R4" variants... but my III just works... i dont care if its not an R4 :P