Fake News Alert! This Is Extremely Dangerous to Our Constitutional Republic.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by comput3rus3r, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comput3rus3r
    OP

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States

You'd think reporters do their own investigations and write articles independently.
    Think again.

2. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    It's concerning that they're all reading the same message without critical thought but I'm pretty sure that most of the outrage regarding this happened a month ago when this video was made.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. Taffy

Taffy If specified, this will replace the title that...

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    ...What's this about?

edit: oh

4. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Conan O'Brien had a skit a few years ago that revealed what you're showing here. I think about it every time I see this NAB commercial that talks about how local news is the only trustworthy source.

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I could understand if the same outlet nationwide had the same message, but this looks like all of the same channels (CBS, Fox, ABC) all saying the same thing.

Upon further research, it looks like a single entity owned all those stations, and made them all read the same report.

DarthDub and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    That's kinda actually really scary, They can convey the opinion, and since they own so many, they can make fake stories, to shut down other news stations.
    Same thing with the glasses industry, owned by one company, and will make other glasses shop owners go bankrupt, by selling lower local prices, than that of the competitor, and since they own so many, they can go really low with the prices, until the shop gets shut down

7. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Is this about the sinclair merger? Yeah, in a little while I think they'll something like 72 or 73% of local stations on the US. (Edit: wrong statistic, it's actually that 72% of households can be reached by a Sinclair station)

For those who don't know, the big problem is that they force the stations they own to run certain segments, and they don't let the stations say which segment was made by them and which they were forced to run by Sinclair. When you watch Fox or CNN or something, you know what you're getting. With Sinclair, theyre sticking words in the mouths of the local anchors you trust without you knowing.

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount, May 2, 2018
  8. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Problem we face these days is that boring and well researched news don’t sell as much as fake and sensationalized news. The media puts quantity over quality and people don’t care as long as they get to post a comment to get it upvoted/liked/whatever. That’s why TMZ and the likes are pretty successful commercially while being the biggest joke of any serious journalism.

Ryccardo, DarthDub and Subtle Demise like this.
  9. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    This has less to do with profits and more to do with social control. They influence the masses in a way that benefits a few. This kind of thing use to be illegal until they passed a law basically saying tv news stations can say whatever they want and even lie. I don't remember the exact legislation. I'll have to look it up.

10. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    This is from a broadcasting group called Sinclair. They own a lot of the local news channels now because Ajit Pai's FCC gave them improper clearance to expand and merge with other companies. If you couldn't tell, they're a right-wing group in support of Trump, and of course they want you to start believing all news is fake except what they have scripted for their robot anchors. Though to be fair, some of the anchors are pretty mad about this bullshit, it's just that they're stuck in shitty contracts now.

Last edited by Xzi, May 2, 2018
  11. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean by the outrage happened a month ago. Is there a time limit for things that cause outrage?
    Me: This is outrageous!
    Myself: This video was made 30 days ago.
    I: Oh, I guess I'm ok with this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This sounds like...
    Nazi: I was just following orders

SirNapkin1334 likes this.
  12. DeoNaught

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    They really can't do anything about it without any big backlash, Losing a job, going homeless, and possibly some effects to their family, and loved ones,
    Nazi's were under pain of death, wouldn't surprise me if you said the same thing, if you were in their situation.

Also, they would have gotten 50 other people to replace their position

13. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    Well actually as A Christian you don't give up your soul under any circumstance. Only non believers fear death to the point where they sell their souls.

14. DeoNaught

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    Just because your supposed to, doesn't mean you will, I can give examples if you really want.
    Also how can "Non believers" sell their soul, if they don't believe in souls?

This is getting off topic, so I'm going to stop posting about this.

Clean up on Aisle four.

15. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Yuh, this has been going on for ages. As someone above said, Conan used to do sketches on these all the time. The scary part is, a lot of people believe that only cable news like CNN, MSNBC, Fox News are the ones that are trying to promote an agenda, and that local news is safe. :(

16. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    Yes of course news has been corporate owned since news was a thing. Even in the days of Newspapers. But it's only in recent times that videos like these make it apparent to even the most brainwashed.

Ryccardo likes this.
  17. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Ahhhh, good ole Sinclair, buying out local news outlets and forcing them to recite hyper-conservative propoganda on a rather predictable basis

18. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I'm willing to bet Sinclair is not the only culprit and this phenomenon is not exclusive to this company.

19. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It's pretty exclusive to Sinclair. No one else has a chance, anyway, sine Sinclair literally owns a majority of all US broadcasting stations

20. SimonMKWii
    This message by SimonMKWii has been removed from public view by Minox, May 2, 2018, Reason: Stop it.
    May 2, 2018
  21. comput3rus3r
    This message by comput3rus3r has been removed from public view by Minox, May 2, 2018, Reason: Bickering.
    May 2, 2018
  22. DeoNaught
    This message by DeoNaught has been removed from public view by Minox, May 2, 2018, Reason: Bickering.
    May 2, 2018
  23. comput3rus3r
    This message by comput3rus3r has been removed from public view by Minox, May 2, 2018, Reason: Bickering.
    May 2, 2018
  24. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Locking this topic as it has indeed already been posted about here before.

TotalInsanity4 and DeoNaught like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.