chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I should be home in about 4 hours time. I'll post pics of the box outsides, interior packaging, product and menu screens. other than requiring a different firmware, it appear to operate in the exact same fashion as my original R4DS.

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
- this new version supposedly supports SDHC memory cards up to 4gb in size (however, I don't have one on-hand to test out)

Erm.. SDHC card can be much larger than that. I've bet money that it does not support SDHC.
I'd also bet money that it is either a rebranded N5 or a shitty clone of that card.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with iq_132. This sounds suspiciously like the N5. The N5 also claims to support SDHC, but doesn't. Perhaps the original poster can confirm whether or not the cart actually supports SDHC (I bet it doesn't).

-Bri

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
here are the promised pictures

r4ds-ii%20(front).jpg

r4ds-ii%20(back).jpg

r4ds-ii%20(inside).jpg

r4ds-ii%20(disc).jpg

r4ds-ii%20(note).jpg

when I've got time, I'll try and rip one apart and scan the pcb.

edit: here are scans of the pcb
r4ds-ii%20(pcb%20front).jpg

r4ds-ii%20(pcb%20back).jpg

Phintias

Trophies
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
That's really amazing. Does SDHC work?

I accidentally bought this card together wit a 4Gb microSD before reading all the reviews, and was quite afraid it wouldn't work. Good news is, that it did, at least my R4DS II fake didn't lock up at boot, and works fine with my 4Gb SDHC Toshiba card. I bought it through Amazon Japan though, don't know if these are the same cart sold in the US. Also I used the 1.16 Kernel on the CD, not the 1.17 provided on the web.

The only thing I noticed was, that Rudolph's 3in1 tool didn't work properly. It just denied existence of the 3in1 cart. The GBA-Exploder v.55 works fine though, and loads GBA Roms. Everything else so far is exactly like the regular R4's I know.

Hope it helps...

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
Whoever made this cart needs to make a original budget cart.

Quite possibly they made an original cart a while back... then found it took off, dropped the price to gain market share, jacked the price up several times when they found they could, came to the attention of the "Big N" to the point where their brand was specificially targetted, introduced clones using a different chipset (one of which shamelessly claims to be their own brand and another of which shamlessly claims to be a Neoflash brand, purely as misdirection in case Ninty's lawyers are watching so they can claim "Hey, we're victims too!"), claimed to be a victim of fakery, and pocketed the proceeds from the n5/e7/"R4 - Upgrade II"/"Fake R6" and the windfall profits from the inflated prices of the original.

Yeah, I know there are several problems with that theory - it suffers from all the usual conspiracy theory self-supporting defects in logic. I also know it's probably not what's going on, and that too much coffee and dealing with arseholes all the time probably makes me a little too paranoid for my own good and a little too likely to see connections that aren't really there. But it's still an interesting thought...

Another interesting thought - has anyone tried pulling anything out through the jtag interface on the n5 yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1