Hacking FAKE NDS! did it happen to you too?

acoustic.digital

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hey guys,
i bought a 'legit nintendo ds' (phat one) in red off ebay, from a hk seller.
i got it today, and when i opened the package, i was already suspicious. the handheld is really light, there is a cheap looking nintendo sticker on the front.
i tested it with legit games and with an r4. all games work, the nds bios just works as normal. touchscreen, no problems.
but then i figured out that you can't put it in sleep mode. you close it, and the game just runs normally.
what should i do with it? i tested it further : ) and found another, major flaw: the wlan module doesn't work properly, and barely connects to other ds's or routers.

i wrote an email to the seller, because stupid shit like that just makes me angry. he selling fakes systems on ebay to little kids and other ppl who don't have a friggin clue about it, and he gets away with it. he has a really good reputation on ebay, with around 1300 positive statements and about 6 negative ones.
does anybody of you guys heard oof faked systems before?

discuss.

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Possibly not a fake, it could well be that it is legit but has had a replacement case fitted which is fake, This could also possibly explain why your sleep mode and wifi arent working as they should be. Its possible that if it has had a shell replacement that things havent been connected as they should have been!
biggrin.gif

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well that is strange, these could be put together from spare parts and have the mechanisms for sleep (a magnetic trigger) and wireless removed or not installed in the first place

acoustic.digital

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Possibly not a fake, it could well be that it is legit but has had a replacement case fitted which is fake, This could also possibly explain why your sleep mode and wifi arent working as they should be. Its possible that if it has had a shell replacement that things havent been connected as they should have been!

i thought about that too, but i can't open it due to seller's warranty. so i can't really confirm that.
it is definitely not a legit shell replacement, so either the shell is fake or the whole system.

QUOTEWell that is strange, these could be put together from spare parts and have the mechanisms for sleep (a magnetic trigger) and wireless removed or not installed in the first place

there is definitely a wlan module in there; it connects sometimes, but it never gets a proper signal.
i'm waiting for the seller's response; i can tell you guys more about it later tonight.

michaelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, seeing HK is a HUGE red flag. Remember this in your future ebay purchases.

Second, are there any pictures? I'm very curious about what it looks like.

Edit: I just did an ebay search. If you got what I'm looking at I would have been suspicious from the start.

acoustic.digital

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
First off, seeing HK is a HUGE red flag. Remember this in your future ebay purchases.

Second, are there any pictures? I'm very curious about what it looks like.

Edit: I just did an ebay search. If you got what I'm looking at I would have been suspicious from the start.

it wasn't too cheap, and he had a good reputation. he was the best option i could find on ebay.
sorry, can't take any pictures atm, my camera is in repair.

the trick with the magnet didn't work; i tried it with a magnet and with a ds lite.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you have a triwing screwdriver to take the bottom of your DS off (after removing any carts, and the battery), see if the wireless wire is connected properly...

it should be a thin black wire (only wire other than ribbon cables in the bottom section) and should have a gold colored connector (looks like a O that plugs into a likewise shaped connector on the board)

As for sleep mode, I'm pretty sure your screwed there... if you have a few bucks to spare, get a new shell, and install everything in it, or take the DS completely apart, and carefully put the hinge parts back in place... might work, might not.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
if you have a triwing screwdriver to take the bottom of your DS off (after removing any carts, and the battery), see if the wireless wire is connected properly...

it should be a thin black wire (only wire other than ribbon cables in the bottom section) and should have a gold colored connector (looks like a O that plugs into a likewise shaped connector on the board)

As for sleep mode, I'm pretty sure your screwed there... if you have a few bucks to spare, get a new shell, and install everything in it, or take the DS completely apart, and carefully put the hinge parts back in place... might work, might not.

Because you've been such an ass to everybody in the wii hacking board and given gbatemp.net a bad name, I'll sarcastically ask you 'Do you think the hinge has anything to do with sleep mode?'

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
acoustic.digital said:
i tested it with legit games and with an r4. all games work, the nds bios just works as normal. touchscreen, no problems.

What games did you use to test sleep mode?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a simmilar case...
I know someone who got a "brand new DS lite"
I thought something was strange when I saw it was being charged with a standard AC/DC adapter and when the screen only had one brightness setting...

I think that there as many DS fakes, as there are N-Card clones... i.e. too many to know (I'm attempting to make an N-Card clone called the aNt-card

acoustic.digital

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
R2DJ said:
acoustic.digital said:

What games did you use to test sleep mode?

a legit copy of mario 64 ds, and several other games on my r4.

i just got a reply from the seller:
hello,
sorry for any inconvenience.
sometimes the item will be damaged during the shipping.
considered to your problem.
i suggest you return the item to me ,and i will refund you or resend a replacement to you,
hope you can understand it!
thank you for your comprehension.
have a nice day!
best regards

seems that he didn't get my point
smile.gif

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
It just goes to show you to not buy anything from Hong Kong. 99% of it, especially off eBay, is either fake or cheap. In this case it sounds like you got a DS that was put together with spare parts in a replacement shell.

Since the seller is offering you a refund, I suggest you take it and go to a reputable source to buy it. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Reconnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they did Offer to give a refund or exchange but you must send it to them first! What happens if they get the unit back and don't do either of the two? Of course you say he has a good Positive feedback so you should have to worry, I guess!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2