FAKE NDS! did it happen to you too?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by acoustic.digital, Aug 18, 2008.

Aug 18, 2008
  1. acoustic.digital
    OP

Member acoustic.digital GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    hey guys,
    i bought a 'legit nintendo ds' (phat one) in red off ebay, from a hk seller.
    i got it today, and when i opened the package, i was already suspicious. the handheld is really light, there is a cheap looking nintendo sticker on the front.
    i tested it with legit games and with an r4. all games work, the nds bios just works as normal. touchscreen, no problems.
    but then i figured out that you can't put it in sleep mode. you close it, and the game just runs normally.
    what should i do with it? i tested it further : ) and found another, major flaw: the wlan module doesn't work properly, and barely connects to other ds's or routers.

i wrote an email to the seller, because stupid shit like that just makes me angry. he selling fakes systems on ebay to little kids and other ppl who don't have a friggin clue about it, and he gets away with it. he has a really good reputation on ebay, with around 1300 positive statements and about 6 negative ones.
    does anybody of you guys heard oof faked systems before?

discuss.

2. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Possibly not a fake, it could well be that it is legit but has had a replacement case fitted which is fake, This could also possibly explain why your sleep mode and wifi arent working as they should be. Its possible that if it has had a shell replacement that things havent been connected as they should have been! [​IMG]

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Well that is strange, these could be put together from spare parts and have the mechanisms for sleep (a magnetic trigger) and wireless removed or not installed in the first place

4. acoustic.digital
    OP

Australia
    there is definitely a wlan module in there; it connects sometimes, but it never gets a proper signal.
    i'm waiting for the seller's response; i can tell you guys more about it later tonight.

5. fischju

United States
    Get a strong magnet and put it below the abxy buttons and see if it goes into sleep mode

6. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    First off, seeing HK is a HUGE red flag. Remember this in your future ebay purchases.

Second, are there any pictures? I'm very curious about what it looks like.

Edit: I just did an ebay search. If you got what I'm looking at I would have been suspicious from the start.

7. acoustic.digital
    OP

Australia
    it wasn't too cheap, and he had a good reputation. he was the best option i could find on ebay.
    sorry, can't take any pictures atm, my camera is in repair.

the trick with the magnet didn't work; i tried it with a magnet and with a ds lite.

8. simoonsoon

Newcomer simoonsoon Advanced Member

United States
    wow that sounds so bad
    is it bad to ask for that guys ebay id? im curious to kno more

9. acoustic.digital
    OP

Australia
    i'm sure i can't do that [​IMG] but just have a look in your inbox [​IMG]

10. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Probably not fake if all games actually work.. Or are there really working ds fakes? [​IMG]

11. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    if you have a triwing screwdriver to take the bottom of your DS off (after removing any carts, and the battery), see if the wireless wire is connected properly...

it should be a thin black wire (only wire other than ribbon cables in the bottom section) and should have a gold colored connector (looks like a O that plugs into a likewise shaped connector on the board)

As for sleep mode, I'm pretty sure your screwed there... if you have a few bucks to spare, get a new shell, and install everything in it, or take the DS completely apart, and carefully put the hinge parts back in place... might work, might not.

12. fischju

United States
    Because you've been such an ass to everybody in the wii hacking board and given gbatemp.net a bad name, I'll sarcastically ask you 'Do you think the hinge has anything to do with sleep mode?'

13. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Every zidane_genome post I see makes me a little happier.

He's right. Find out what the situation is with the seller first and if you can't send it back, take a good look at its guts.

14. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    What games did you use to test sleep mode?

15. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I have a simmilar case...
    I know someone who got a "brand new DS lite"
    I thought something was strange when I saw it was being charged with a standard AC/DC adapter and when the screen only had one brightness setting...

I think that there as many DS fakes, as there are N-Card clones... i.e. too many to know (I'm attempting to make an N-Card clone called the aNt-card

16. acoustic.digital
    OP

Australia
    seems that he didn't get my point [​IMG]

17. fischju

United States
    Damage during shipping is a possiblity

18. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    At least the seller is offering you different options. Good on him/her.

19. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    It just goes to show you to not buy anything from Hong Kong. 99% of it, especially off eBay, is either fake or cheap. In this case it sounds like you got a DS that was put together with spare parts in a replacement shell.

Since the seller is offering you a refund, I suggest you take it and go to a reputable source to buy it. Remember, you get what you pay for.

20. Reconnin

Newcomer Reconnin Member

United States
    Well, they did Offer to give a refund or exchange but you must send it to them first! What happens if they get the unit back and don't do either of the two? Of course you say he has a good Positive feedback so you should have to worry, I guess!