OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Many people have fakes and don't even know they do. If you want to know check if it is magicgate compatible on your psp.
Credit goes mangbhoy from link removed by Sinkhead
Hi, well, this is hopefully going to be helpful to people somehow

QUOTE said:
There are loads of FAKE Sony memory stick pro duos on eBay and even in Amazon so beware!

Here's a good guide from aussieram on how to detect FAKE memory cards

Well, I wrote this since I was a victim of buying a FAKE one from Amazon UK (Amazon seller not Amazon UK itself) so I just wanna spread the info. When I read aussieram's guide, it made me think if mine was genuine or not. I went to a Sony Shop near my flat and, voila!, I found out that mine was fake. At first I was not quite convinced until I saw it myself. Ultimately, what made the difference was the TRANSFER SPEED on the cards.

The link above should give you enough info on this but I have included my own pics for additional info. Also, these pics are for the 4GB memory pro duo.

PIC 1
The hologram: FAKE is TOO SHINY compared to GENUINE; FAKE DOES NOT have a VERTICAL LINE in the hologram.
The phrase “Memory Stick File Rescue Service”: FAKE is CENTER ALIGNED ; GENUINE is LEFT ALIGNED
my.php

my.php

PIC 2
The serial number: FAKE is as mentioned by aussieram; GENUINE is as mentioned by aussieram
my.php

my.php

PIC3
Bullets: FAKE DOES NOT have bullets; GENUINE HAS BULLETS on the left side
Background color: FAKE has LIGHT BLUE background ; GENUINE has LIGHT VIOLET
my.php

my.php

PIC4
Plastic casing: FAKE DOES NOT have cutaways ; GENUINE has a TRAPEZOIDAL cutaway
Warranty: FAKE DOES NOT have the warranty leaflet ; GENUINE has a VISIBLE warranty leaflet poking out.
Serial codes: refer to aussieram’s guide
my.php

my.php

PIC5
Seal: FAKE has SMALL ROUND seal and has total of SIX SEALS; GENUINE has THIN ELONGATED seal has total of EIGHTS SEALS. *urk urk!* … get it? Seals? Haha … ha…. Okay … that was corny … moving on …
my.php

my.php

PIC6
Booklet: FAKE DOES NOT have a booklet ; GENUINE has an INCLUDED booklet.
my.php

my.php

PIC7
Space: When formatted – FAKE has 3839MB; GENUINE has 3876MB
my.php

my.php

PIC8
The “SONY” logo: FAKE has THINNER font ; GENUINE has BOLDER font
The number “4” : FAKE has BIGGER “4” as compared to the GENUINE
my.php

PIC9
Memory Stick Adapter: FAKE has LIGHT BLUE color ; GENUINE has ROYAL BLUE color
my.php

That’s it for now … *whew* I hope that helped some of you clear out the differences.

*added info
Contributors to this thread have also noted that: (thanks people!)
1.) You can check whether the card is fake by looking for Magicgate support. Genuine cards have it. Go to the PSP's XMB for either 'Photo', 'Video', 'Music', or 'Game' and press the Triangle button and look in 'Information'. Genuine cards should say 'Magicgate TM Supported'.
2.) The fake cards have regular printed serial numbers while the genuine ones are laser printed.

*question for others to explore
I have recently reformatted by Genuine memory stick and it appears to be 3839MG of allowed user space
- I'm using 3.90 M33 CW currently --- now I doubt whether the space can correctly determine authenticity
because in PIC7 I've used 2.9 M33 CW --- maybe there's a relationship here? any thoughts?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilddenim said:
I think Linkiboy is right. And can you please include the pictures too, please?

Hmmm... i though it was my computer. XBlade316 prob just copy and pasted it, and it had img code, which wasnt copied.

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks, but i already knew mine was fake before i bought it =D

(still got it, coz the price was too good)

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a PSP, the foolproof way is simply to go to a memory stick icon and select info. Any genuine pro duo should say Magicgate: Supported.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
or My Computer properties, if it shows a brand name that isnt connected with the brand (Sony, Sandisk, Lexar) of the MS, its fake.

I had a SanDisk, packaging and stuff looked legit. Bought it in BestBuy here in Canada. I found it takes a long time to format. And couldnt use it for making a Magic Memory stick. Bought a Sony, not the fake one, it worked.... So many sandisk are fake.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
or My Computer properties, if it shows a brand name that isnt connected with the brand (Sony, Sandisk, Lexar) of the MS, its fake.

I had a SanDisk, packaging and stuff looked legit. Bought it in BestBuy here in Canada. I found it takes a long time to format. And couldnt use it for making a Magic Memory stick. Bought a Sony, not the fake one, it worked.... So many sandisk are fake.

I doubt Best Buy sold you a counterfeit memory card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte