Hacking "Failed to mount CTRNAND" and cannot load any payloads

Trio1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun times ahead. I followed the guide to the best of my abilities but ran into this error. The guide says to proceed if you get this error but i'm not able to load any payloads.

I've tried to launch Hourglass9 and Decrypt9 by holding down buttons while powering on but they don't load and i just receive the "Failed to mount CTRNAND" error. The only thing i can launch by holding buttons down is the Luma configuration menu itself by holding select. All i can access on the New 3DS is this menu, that error, or a black screen if i have no SD card plugged in. I've also tried renaming Hourglass9 and Decrypt9 to arm9loaderhax.bin and placing it in the root of the card but that just gives a black screen too.

Here's a list of all the files on my SD card: http://pastebin.com/qeDF4F7Q

I feel like I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried assigning them to different buttons, using an older versions of luma and basically anything I don't think runs the risk of bricking. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Fun times ahead. I followed the guide to the best of my abilities but ran into this error. The guide says to proceed if you get this error but i'm not able to load any payloads.

I've tried to launch Hourglass9 and Decrypt9 by holding down buttons while powering on but they don't load and i just receive the "Failed to mount CTRNAND" error. The only thing i can launch by holding buttons down is the Luma configuration menu itself by holding select. All i can access on the New 3DS is this menu, that error, or a black screen if i have no SD card plugged in. I've also tried renaming Hourglass9 and Decrypt9 to arm9loaderhax.bin and placing it in the root of the card but that just gives a black screen too.

I feel like I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried assigning them to different buttons, using an older versions of luma and basically anything I don't think runs the risk of bricking. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Delete this folder: sdcard\Nintendo 3DS\4dd5a4a0b2b0a82d08e9a9fd2a40f8b0\419800e74707b548534530340002544d\extdata\00000000\00000098

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Thanks.

The "Failed to mount CTRNAND" error is from Luma3DS, if you get that error, that also means Luma doesn't try to load your payloads but instead booting to SysNAND. Are you sure your payloads are installed correctly ?
If you can't get it to work, then just rename the payload you need (probably Decrypt9) to "arm9loaderhax.bin" and put that in the root of your SD card. It'll replace Luma3DS and you'll be able to restore your backup.

Then just restore Luma3DS and proceed with the guide.

Last edited by GBHAKC75,

Trio1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Failed to mount CTRNAND" error is from Luma3DS, if you get that error, that also means Luma doesn't try to load your payloads but instead booting to SysNAND. Are you sure your payloads are installed correctly ?
If you can't get it to work, then just rename the payload you need (probably Decrypt9) to "arm9loaderhax.bin" and put that in the root of your SD card. It'll replace Luma3DS and you'll be able to restore your backup.

Then just restore Luma3DS and proceed with the guide.

Sorry but as I mentioned in the original post, renaming either Decrypt9 or Hourglass9 to arm9loaderhax.bin and putting it in the root just shows a black screen.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry but as I mentioned in the original post, renaming either Decrypt9 or Hourglass9 to arm9loaderhax.bin and putting it in the root just shows a black screen.

Right. They probably don't init the screen so it's probably actually running but you can't see it.
You need to get Luma3DS payloads working. Check that your path is correct, that you renamed the payloads properly as mentioned in the guide. Screen it if you can because if Luma can boot, there's no reason to not be able to chainload payloads.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like a bad download then. Try redownloading. You're currently on 2.1 right; ie you haven't restored your backup yet?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Trio1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right. They probably don't init the screen so it's probably actually running but you can't see it.
You need to get Luma3DS payloads working. Check that your path is correct, that you renamed the payloads properly as mentioned in the guide. Screen it if you can because if Luma can boot, there's no reason to not be able to chainload payloads.

Sounds like a bad download then. Try redownloading. You're currently on 2.1 right; ie you haven't restored your backup yet?

I've redownloaded both hourglass9 and godmode and put them into the payloads folder exactly as the guide says. Here's how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/98ogT6d.png

It still won't boot into either payload whatever I do. I'm assuming I'm on 2.1. The first part of the guide I found an issue with is when you have to visit
Code:
http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin
via the browser and i got the glitched screen. I followed the mini troubleshooting guide for that and just pressed select as it said. it didnt restart itself so I just powered off the console as it said to in the guide too. I copied the OTP file onto my PC and then began the Luma configuration. Then i hit this roadblock. I just can't get it to chainload anything but I'm not certain why.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rename it arm9loaderhax_si.bin instead. The _si indicates to A9LH to initialize the screen.

Reactions: Trio1

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I've redownloaded both hourglass9 and godmode and put them into the payloads folder exactly as the guide says. Here's how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/98ogT6d.png

It still won't boot into either payload whatever I do. I'm assuming I'm on 2.1. The first part of the guide I found an issue with is when you have to visit
Code:
http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin
via the browser and i got the glitched screen. I followed the mini troubleshooting guide for that and just pressed select as it said. it didnt restart itself so I just powered off the console as it said to in the guide too. I copied the OTP file onto my PC and then began the Luma configuration. Then i hit this roadblock. I just can't get it to chainload anything but I'm not certain why.
Any chance you've doubled on the extensions?

*.bin.bin ?

Edit. no they're fine; try the above with _si then try replacing the /arm9loaderhax.bin with the hourglass9 one

Last edited by HyperT,

Trio1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rename it arm9loaderhax_si.bin instead. The _si indicates to A9LH to initialize the screen.

I love you. Although it involved a lot of taking the SD card in and out to go back between arm9loaderhax and hourglass, I've finally finished the guide. Thank you so much!

Reactions: HyperT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    Veho @ Veho: Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.