Hacking ‘Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es).’, tried everything, nothing works.

steventhehomebrewguy101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Sorry if this is the wrong thread, since this is my first time here.)
So, I’ve recently put files from a 3DS Development Kit onto my retail Nintendo 3DS XL’s SysNAND via FBI, (since I was too lazy to get an EmuNAND back then), and booted it up. It had DevMenu 11.4 and Config and CTRAging v1 and all that. But, when I went to Luma3DS’s Configuration Menu, and enabled the Developer Mode, it would soft-brick, (Likely because I enabled the Test Menu with Dev2 on Config, while on Developer Mode) and I’d have to perform a hard reset and go back to the Luma3DS configuration menu and disable Developer Mode. Anyways, after I stupidly installed Development Kit files onto my Retail System, I booted up some apps to test it out. My digital games were booting fine, FBI and HBL were booting perfectly, so I tested out the ‘DS-Mode’ by going onto ‘Download Play’, booting up the ‘Nintendo DS’ setting, and seeing if it would load. It loaded perfectly fine, and the clock and calender still displayed the accurate time. But, when I went to exit out of the DS Download Play, a Luma3DS error popped up, displaying ‘An error has occurred: Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es). Press any button to shutdown’, so I pressed ‘A’, shutting it down. Now, I thought the problem was that I was on the Retail Mode instead of Developer Mode, so I went to the Luma3DS configuration menu, enabled Developer Mode, and booted it up. The splash screen was there, and I could still boot up GodMode9, but when it booted up, It was the same error screen as before, but it said ‘Failed to apply 2 FIRM patch(es)’, instead of 1. Now, I searched the internet for this, but I could only find a thread about this one dude trying to boot up TwilightMenu++, and getting ‘Failed to apply 4 FIRM patch(es)’, so it was a no-go. Also, keep in mind, when I tried to boot up ‘Recovery Mode’, (or ‘Safe Mode’), it would go through the update stuff, and the prompt for the TOS and COPPA stuff blah blah blah, but when I updated it with INTERNET CLEARLY BEING AT FULL 3 BARS, it would say ‘an error has occurred with the update, please shutdown your console’, or something like that. But now, when I try to boot the Recovery/Safe Mode up, it just says the same error, ‘Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)’. (Yes, it still says ‘2’ instead of ‘1’ while on Developer Mode). Now, also keep in mind, when I tried installing it through sysupdater (CIA version), it didn’t work. When I tried DevMenu (11.4 & this older version that I have), also didn’t work. However, FBI did work, so I installed it through that, instead of sysupdater. I tried updating Luma3DS, (I updated to both the latest Hourly & Nightly versions and it still wouldn’t work, shocker.), I tried updating every single thing that I had, which didn’t work, since they were already on the latest versions, (again, what a shocker.). I even updated to the latest version of my 3DS’S firmware via GodMode9 and it still didn’t work. I even deleted unnecessary files, and sysupdater.cia. Yes, I have the latest boot.firm of both the Luma3DS Hourly & Nightly on my SD Card. Yes, it has enough space, it’s a 32GiB card with 16 GiB left. Yes, HBL is at the latest version, the boot.3dsx from luma3DS and HBL. I even tried ntrboot by holding a magnet in the middle of the B and power buttons and holding Start, Select, and X, simultaneously, while having New Super Mario Bros. (DS), then Super Mario 64 DS in the cartridge slot, which did nothing but automatically power it off, or simulate a soft-brick. I haven’t played any homebrew or games or virtual console on my 3DS for 3-4 whole days because of this, which I personally think is the worst punishment ever for somebody who’s modded both a RVL-001 Wii, a Model 1 Nintendo Switch, and a 3DS XL, i.e.: Me. So I really need to get this fixed because I think I’ve hard-bricked my 3DS with no way of getting back. If somebody has a solution to this, or a way to bypass this error screen, (Yes, I was thinking about messaging/emailing one or more of the Luma3DS developers about this problem), then please PLEASE tell me, because I am in fear that I might’ve hard-bricked my 3DS, with NO WAY OF GOING BACK, at least that’s what I fear. So, please, if anyone has had a similar issue, or has a possible solution to this, (such as a way to bypass the error screen), then please, tell me!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've really no idea what happened here. My first impulse would be backing up the currently bricked SysNAND (yes, this might be helpful) and restore a known good image from before the damage.
So, I’ve recently put files from a 3DS Development Kit onto my retail Nintendo 3DS XL’s SysNAND via FBI, (since I was too lazy to get an EmuNAND back then), and booted it up. It had DevMenu 11.4 and Config and CTRAging v1 and all that. But, when I went to Luma3DS’s Configuration Menu, and enabled the Developer Mode, it would soft-brick, (Likely because I enabled the Test Menu with Dev2 on Config, while on Developer Mode) and I’d have to perform a hard reset and go back to the Luma3DS configuration menu and disable Developer Mode.
Anyways, after I stupidly installed Development Kit files onto my Retail System, I booted up some apps to test it out. My digital games were booting fine, FBI and HBL were booting perfectly, so I tested out the ‘DS-Mode’ by going onto ‘Download Play’, booting up the ‘Nintendo DS’ setting, and seeing if it would load. It loaded perfectly fine, and the clock and calender still displayed the accurate time.
With all the list of things you did it will be very hard to identify the problem.

But, when I went to exit out of the DS Download Play, a Luma3DS error popped up, displaying ‘An error has occurred: Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es). Press any button to shutdown’, so I pressed ‘A’, shutting it down. Now, I thought the problem was that I was on the Retail Mode instead of Developer Mode, so I went to the Luma3DS configuration menu, enabled Developer Mode, and booted it up. The splash screen was there, and I could still boot up GodMode9, but when it booted up, It was the same error screen as before, but it said ‘Failed to apply 2 FIRM patch(es)’, instead of 1. Now, I searched the internet for this, but I could only find a thread about this one dude trying to boot up TwilightMenu++, and getting ‘Failed to apply 4 FIRM patch(es)’, so it was a no-go.
Sounds like the firmware is damaged.

Also, keep in mind, when I tried to boot up ‘Recovery Mode’, (or ‘Safe Mode’), it would go through the update stuff, and the prompt for the TOS and COPPA stuff blah blah blah, but when I updated it with INTERNET CLEARLY BEING AT FULL 3 BARS, it would say ‘an error has occurred with the update, please shutdown your console’, or something like that. But now, when I try to boot the Recovery/Safe Mode up, it just says the same error, ‘Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)’. (Yes, it still says ‘2’ instead of ‘1’ while on Developer Mode). Now, also keep in mind, when I tried installing it through sysupdater (CIA version), it didn’t work. When I tried DevMenu (11.4 & this older version that I have), also didn’t work. However, FBI did work, so I installed it through that, instead of sysupdater. I tried updating Luma3DS, (I updated to both the latest Hourly & Nightly versions and it still wouldn’t work, shocker.), I tried updating every single thing that I had, which didn’t work, since they were already on the latest versions, (again, what a shocker.).
So SafeModeFIRM worked once an is now also bricked?

I even updated to the latest version of my 3DS’S firmware via GodMode9 and it still didn’t work. I even deleted unnecessary files, and sysupdater.cia. Yes, I have the latest boot.firm of both the Luma3DS Hourly & Nightly on my SD Card. Yes, it has enough space, it’s a 32GiB card with 16 GiB left. Yes, HBL is at the latest version, the boot.3dsx from luma3DS and HBL.
Deleting files will not help. Your problem is not outdated Luma3DS boot.firm -- I suspect damaged firmware with all the messing around.

I even tried ntrboot by holding a magnet in the middle of the B and power buttons and holding Start, Select, and X, simultaneously, while having New Super Mario Bros. (DS), then Super Mario 64 DS in the cartridge slot, which did nothing but automatically power it off, or simulate a soft-brick.
That won't work: ntrboot is not a game loader. It allows booting (properly signed or "sighaxed") firmware from a special ntr (DS) cartridge. Since Super Mario titles aren't valid FIRMs they won't help.

So I really need to get this fixed because I think I’ve hard-bricked my 3DS with no way of getting back. If somebody has a solution to this, or a way to bypass this error screen, (Yes, I was thinking about messaging/emailing one or more of the Luma3DS developers about this problem), then please PLEASE tell me, because I am in fear that I might’ve hard-bricked my 3DS, with NO WAY OF GOING BACK, at least that’s what I fear. So, please, if anyone has had a similar issue, or has a possible solution to this, (such as a way to bypass the error screen), then please, tell me!
Please refer to hard bricking only for hardware damage (water, overvoltage, drop damage...) The hardware should not be damaged here.
==============

Lacking the knowledge of the great @TurdPooCharger, I really can't pinpoint the issue from your description.
Again:
  1. Backup NAND (yes the bricked status) and your SD, especially the Nintendo 3DS folder.
  2. Restore a previous NAND backup. You might need to run Faketik afterwards.
Since I always fear for the worst when mentioning "restore your backup": For the unlikely case that you do not have a known-good NAND image (although you did quite some funny experiments): Try CTRTransfer Type D9.

Good luck!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: mrgone

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tipp to the OP:
Formatting your text helps with the readablilty for everyone.
Badly formatted text might discourage people from even trying to read it
Yeah... I didn't want to say it, but I thought the same. Tried to make it more readable by dividing it into multiple quotes.
At least he provided much information and not only: "Does not work! Help!"

The problem is quite interesting though. We'll have to wait for response now.

Reactions: mrgone

steventhehomebrewguy101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So SafeModeFIRM worked once an is now also bricked?
Yeah, I honestly have no idea how. My best guess is that the Developer Kit files might’ve messed with the Safe Mode once, and then completely bricked it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

• Backup NAND (yes the bricked status) and your SD, especially the Nintendo 3DS folder.
  • Restore a previous NAND backup. You might need to run Faketik afterwards.
Thanks, I’ll go try that. The only way for me to backup my NAND is through GodMode9 by copying it to my SD card, correct?
Also, I don’t know if this helps, but a few days ago I got a MultiNand x4 (RedNand, not Gateway), and it does display the EmuNand options on Luma3DS and GodMode9 on which EmuNand to switch to and ‘Enable EmuNand’ and etc.
So am I supposed to backup both the SysNand & The EmuNand(s), or just the SysNand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse