Fail0verflow releases Linux for Switch and ShofEL2

IMG_7643.PNG

The Switch scene is getting wild. There's been a bootrom leak, Fusee Launcher, and seeing the scene groups getting heated over a Linux tease. There was even some whisper stuff of Dolphin potentially running on the Switch. Not to be outdone, Fail0verflow has stepped in, and released something new. After they showed Linux running on the Switch back in February, the team has released their work. If that wasn't enough, ShofEL2 was also released by them, which is a Tegra1, and more importantly, a Nintendo Switch exploit.

In short, this relies on the Tegra's recovery mode, which allows for the exploit to be run. ShofEL2 works as a bootrom exploit and a Linux launcher, though currently it's not really intended for use by most users at this time, this is another incredible advancement for scene hackers.

If your Switch catches fire or turns into an Ouya, it's not our fault. It's stupidly easy to blow up embedded platforms like this with bad software (e.g. all voltages are software-controlled). We already caused temporary damage to one LCD panel with bad power sequencing code. Seriously, do not complain if something goes wrong.

On the other hand, this exploit probably works on the Ouya...

Fail0verflow claims that this exploit is future proof, and will work on all firmwares. They make an even bolder claim that running Linux is undetectable by the system, and that you can dual boot the Switch and Linux OS.

:arrow: Source

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
“If your Switch catches fire or turns into an Ouya, it's not our fault. It's stupidly easy to blow up embedded platforms like this with bad software” Oof, ok I’ll be careful
Personally, I'm doing nothing until processes mature, programs are stable, etc.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
that's it game over for the switch :creep:
Dual boot Linux means more uses for Switch, it certainly doesn't mean game over for Switch. I think piracy will be enabled fairly soon, but people looking specifically for that will still be in the minority.

*the current revision.
Indeed, this definitely lends credence to the rumors of a slight revision coming soon, if it hasn't hit shelves already.

Checking tickets for the hype train. Now boarding. :yayswitch:
latest

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: damiano2712

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As much as it's exciting news for the hacking part, I really do not see the appeal of running Linux on a switch.
But everything has to start somewhere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.