factory reset? homebrew removal before sending back to Nintendo

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jackrussell007, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jackrussell007
    OP

Newcomer jackrussell007 Newbie

Ireland
    Hi folks

I've read a few of the threads but am still a little unsure of what I can do about my problem. I bought a second hand wii recently. from what I can see it has tha homebrew channel. I told it was modified using the twilight hack. I'm a noob to all of this and havent really gotten to grips with it. The wii was for my young lads birthday.

anyway I have a problem with the wii now, it wont play any discs and has actully scratched one or two of the discs in a circular motion. It was definelty the wii that did it. after googling I ended up at the nintendo forum, it seems to be a known problem and they will fix it no problem, all I need do is send it back to them

I'm presuming this twlight hack/homebrew thing is probably a big no-no for nintendo and presumably it would probably void my warranty or maybe worse? Can I just set my wii back to factory settings...by upgrading firmware or something..? or could I just remove whatever hacks have been done? whats the best way of approaching this? at the end of the day I can live without the hacks if I have to upgrade firmware or whatever. I just want it fixed.

the guy I bought it from will probably help me out but I'd like to hear any of your suggestions.

thanks for helping a noobie

2. GrandMasterJimmy

Newcomer GrandMasterJimmy Advanced Member

United States
    When formatting it still keeps a record of what channels were installed, so i'm afraid you can't really reset it. Though I never saw anyone get in trouble for having things on thier wii and sending it in.

3. jackrussell007
    OP

Ireland
    would modding your wii not void the warranty in some way?

4. GrandMasterJimmy

Newcomer GrandMasterJimmy Advanced Member

United States
    Yes, it voids the warranty. It's jsut I've not heard of Nintendo not fixing a Wii for people.

I knowmany people had homebrew channel, back when wii's couldn't read SSBB, and they all got fixed fine. Not sure if you should take the chance though. I'm 99% sure there is no way of getting rid of everything %100.

5. jackrussell007
    OP

Ireland
    bummer

if they all got fixed with homebrew on them then what have I got to loose? would they just not fix it for me or is there worse consequences?

6. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They would void the warranty and charge you a fee. Thats the worst that can happen.

7. jeffc313

Newcomer jeffc313 Advanced Member

United States
    you can use AnyTitleDeleter to delete Homebrew Channel (HAXX) and your CIOS(IOS 247 iirc) and delete the twilight hack in the save manager. You will not be able to delete the play logs though. Those three should be enough to get nintendo to fix for free.

8. Hkari

Member Hkari GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You might have to pay for it. A friend of mine got his repaired for free with the homebrew channel on it though. For all we know, they might not even check.